“Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Santa Barbara

You added Hyatt Santa Barbara to your Saves list
Hyatt Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (Formerly Hotel Mar Monte)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Fairfield, California
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is located directly across from the ocean, so the relaxing sounds of waves crashing during the night is very relaxing. The staff are courteous and helpful. They have a daily happy hour from 4-7 and good price for items.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Fairfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was really sad that the hotel turned out like it did...the rooms (I had to switch rooms) were dingy and freezing. It was more of a hotel you would stay at for a quickie business meeting than somewhere to vacation.
My first room was on the first floor and in the hallway to get to the restaurant/bar, so there was a steady stream of traffic and noise. It was also basically on top of the pool. While it had a partial ocean view, it was so loud and felt very exposed. I was unable to open the curtains because they opened up to the pool area and I would have had no privacy, so the ocean view was kind of pointless. The curtains also didn't block out the sun in the morning, so on top of being woken by maintenance people out by the pool, the sunlight also prevented me from sleeping in...something I really needed. The mini-fridge made an annoying noise all night. Basically I didn't sleep at all.
The staff was super accommodating and so nice and immediately found me a new room. They sent me a really kind person to move my bags for me and it was seamless. I slept all day which was a bummer as I only had two days in Santa Barbara. My new room had no view whatsoever, but I was fine with that because it was more removed and felt more peaceful and private. There was a constant noise coming from the bathroom, though, and the room was an icebox. I had to turn the heat on to keep from shivering.
I would never stay at this hotel again, but the staff was wonderful. It's a shame because service like that is really unique. It definitely needs an update to match the quality of employee they have.

Room Tip: As for a room on second or third floor.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello CNY0102, We'd like to begin by apologizing to you. You had two nights in our beautiful seaside town and were prevented from enjoying your time the inability to get a good night's sleep. We are super thrilled that you enjoyed our team and wholeheartedly agree that each one is terrific and focuses on the satisfaction and comfort our guests. I'd like to share a personal experience if I may, just as a point to consider. I travel often for both leisure and business and have found that sleep can be interrupted for various reasons when not in your usual surroundings, most commonly by other hotel guests returning to their rooms from an evening out. Someone had suggested ear plugs to me and I tried them; it took a few attempts to find a brand that fit well and felt comfortable, but once I did, my sleep was never interrupted again. Please know that are listening to you and that we will shortly implement a plan that requires our managers and supervisors to spend a night in random guest rooms to experience the room as our guests do, we think by doing this we will find and have the ability to correct many challenges. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that you will try our hotel again.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We found the Hyatt to be a very pleasant and comfortable hotel . It is just a short walk to Stearns Wharf and State Street. We loved sitting around the pool, sipping cocktails and watching the beautiful view of the beach. The staff are very friendly and accomodating . Santa Barbara is my favourite place in California. We will be staying here again in November 2015.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Property is beautiful and right on the ocean! Spacious room with a very comfortable bed, and the amenities were great. Check-in process went very smooth and staff were very polite and accommodating. Called for extra towels and they were delivered within minutes. Will definitely be staying here again and I recommend for anyone staying in Santa Barbara!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Cowan Heights, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Location- Great Service- Good Rooms- Poor We booked 2 beach view rooms, and 2 standard room- one that needed to be pet friendly for my sister and her pets. Unfortunately, 1 out of 4 rooms (my room) that I had booked for our family getaway smelled like fresh dog pee which only and the heater started smoking when I turned it on in the middle of the night and started the smoke alarm! Luckily the smoke alarm worked. They put us in a very unsafe room and we slept the rest of the night in a smokey room with our jackets and beanies on. Not a good experience especially for $200 plus a night. One good thing is that they have a pet friendly building for those who have dogs (we didn't in our room but we were put in the dog friendly building). Location is def a plus with ocean front.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello Karen, We are so sorry to learn that your room had an unpleasant odor and the heating issues. Based on your feedback we have increased the number of supervisor inspections in the pet-friendly building to add a second layer of protection against guests being checked into ill prepared rooms. We thank you for staying with us and would very much like to have a second chance when your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This used to be the Mar Monte Hotel built in 1931. I had been here before the Hyatt takeover and it needed some serious time and money invested into this property. (We are here once a year for a two-day training)
Even though they have done some work to improve it, they still need to invest more into restoring and CLEANING this place.
I really love the 1930's and 1940's architecture, as long as it kept up properly.

Just don't think of it as a Hyatt and you'll overlook the dirty carpets and damaged furnishings. (Take a trip up or down the back hallway stairs and see what I'm referring to.)

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello Victor V, we appreciate your feedback regarding your most recent and even past stays here at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. You are absolutely correct with your observations and history of our building. A small renovation was completed about two years ago and indeed, there is another renovation in progress; it is beginning in the furthest building and will soon begin in the main building. We are all very excited for this current renovation to be complete as it will greatly enhance a good percentage of our guest rooms, lobby, restaurant and new bar concept. We look forward to hearing your thoughts next year regarding our updates.
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In our 21 day California road trip over Dec/Jan we stayed at 7 hotels. The best one was Hyatt Santa Barbara because of its location (close to State street and views over the ocean) facilities (Gym, swimming and spa pool), but more particularly it was the bed and pillows. The mattress and pillow was perfect after a long days drive. Not sure what sort of mattress it was or the type of pillow, but it was heaven for weary bodies.

Room Tip: Ocean room - third floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!