I love old buildings, and I could tell immediately that this one was old. My first clue was that the driveway entrance isn't on Cabrillo Boulevard: nobody would have the entrance to a new building be on another street than the address, but with old places, there's no telling. Indeed, the original structure was built in 1931 and is filled with the charms of quirks of an old place.
The valets were friendly and very fast throughout our stay. We never waited for our car in spite of being very close to the main lobby. The location of the hotel made every car trip around town a quick one as well.
The front desk said our room wasn't ready at our check-in and placed us in another room with an ocean view. Though the building is old (and the odd lobby configuration reconfirmed that the place has been heavily remodeled), it has been updated and is in fine condition.
The weather was very pleasant during our stay, and we spent a bit of time by the pool. Sitting there gave us a view of several upstairs rooms with various-sized balconies that probably offered very nice ocean views, better than our first-floor ocean view. This is the sort of hotel where knowing the rooms can really matter.
Breakfast was nothing remarkable and was as expensive as you would expect from a Hyatt in Santa Barbara. Nothing wrong with it. Nice view, though.
The timing of the housekeeping service was a little erratic: one day our room was cleaned at four in the afternoon while another day they were knocking at nine in the morning.
I enjoyed our stay and would gladly stay again.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Santa Barbara Hotel
- Hyatt Santa Barbara Hotel Santa Barbara
- Mar Monte Santa Barbara
- Mar Monte Hotel
- Hotel Mar Monte
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover one of the finest hotels in Santa Barbara, California when you stay at Hyatt Santa Barbara. Built in 1931, our historic hotel welcomes guests with its casual elegance and first-rate service.Detailed with a fusion of Spanish Colonial architecture blended with modern conveniences, Hyatt Santa Barbara is a shining gateway to the City of Santa Barbara, also known as the American Riviera.Discover 171 comfortably-appointed guestrooms, a perfect home base for both leisure and business travelers. Enjoy the warm California sunshine in our heated outdoor pool and therapy OLEASTRO SPA, work off stress in the spacious fitness center, or enjoy happy hour at Bistro 1111 Restaurant, serving American cuisine with California flair. A 100% smoke-free hotel, Hyatt Santa Barbara also offers amenities like in-room dining, valet and self-parking, valet laundry service, and a business center.With 10,000 square feet of flexible and unique meeting space, offering exquisite culinary selections and the latest in technology, Hyatt Santa Barbara is ideal for your next corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Amex, AAA Travel Services, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Otel, Olotels, getaroom.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Santa Barbara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.