“A Few Flaws but a Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1601 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Clemente, California
“A Few Flaws but a Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great location and a nicely renovated older hotel. We had two rooms and the one away from State Street (304) was the quiet one. Try to stay off State Street. Comfortable bed and decent size (not to large) pillows. They need to stock a light weight blanket as the one in the room was to heavy and to warm and we did not want to turn on the AC.

A real flaw is the toilet: way to low to the ground, a round design that was definitely to small. The bathroom was quite nice but the toilet size, height, & design was a real
loser.

We have stayed at other LaQuinta's and don't remember the breakfast being only vegan. This one did have scrambled eggs but no protein to go with it, not even some cheese. Some sliced turkey or ham would have given us the protein to temper the vast amounts of carbs & sugar they had. They are probably philosophically opposed to bacon or sausage but some form of animal protein is needed when you advertise a hot breakfast. Waffles do not cut it.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your review of our recently remodeled hotel. I'm pleased you found our location conveniently located on State Street close the many restaurants and shops. I appreciate your comments regarding the comfortable beds and nice size bathroom. Please note that we do not advertise a hot breakfast on our website. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Diego, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Only good things to say about this place. Very friendly and accommodating staff, clean/new rooms, great breakfast that goes till late. New workout facility that was hard to find but beautiful. I felt like family there, especially since I stayed there for a week on business.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your wonderful review of our recently renovated hotel while you were in town on business. I'm pleased you found the staff friendly, you enjoyed our breakfast and utilized the fitness center. I appreciate your comments that this is the nicest La Quinta you've visited. We look forward to having as out guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Vonore, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We cringed a little at the cost of this hotel until we saw the cost of others in Santa Barbara. There is also a $10 parking fee per night, but at least it's on site and you can come and go at will. The rooms open to the outside so you always risk having some one walk by and look in if you want daylight in the room. That said, no one walked by our Third floor room when we had the curtains open. There is an elevator to the upstairs as well. We heard some street noises at night, so you may want a room on the pool side.

The pool area is off of the lobby and very nice. A great place to sit and read as well.

The rooms are large and have been recently redone, so there was a super bed and linens and a lounge chair, desk, and a console that also holds the refrigerator and microwave. There is a huge bathroom with a very large walk in shower (no tub). Tasteful and spotlessly clean. Liked having the Keurig machine in the room as well as coffee and cookies downstairs.

Breakfast was included. Nothing special--the usual waffles, cereal, toast, juice, coffee, and steam table eggs and a little fruit. Adequate and the area is clean and kept stocked well.

The location was good for us to get around town as it is on State Street but away from the more touristy area.

Staff are super friendly and helpful. They do a great job.

Room Tip: Third floor pool side
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your wonderful review of our recently renovated hotel. I'm pleased you found the hotel affordable and the staff super friendly. I appreciate your great comments regarding the pool, breakfast, cleanliness of your room and the comfortable bedding. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was the first La Quinta stay I've had in wow, maybe 20 years?? I was a little leery but I have to say I was quite pleased with this choice.

Location was very good - it is at the top of what I would call the main section of State Street, where so many of the shops and restaurants are located. And I liked that it was near to the more local places instead of further down the street where all the big chains are located. The hotel has good parking at a reasonable rate although I am always frustrated when hotels charge for parking for guests. Seems to be the norm in this area - but just not right..

I'm not crazy about hotel rooms that have doors that open to the outside but our room was on the 3rd floor so I felt a little better.. sort of. The room was spacious and well appointed and, most importantly, clean. Clearly renovated within recent years - so even though you could tell that the 'bones' of the room may have been quite old, they have done a nice job modernizing.. The beds were very comfortable, the lighting was good. Nice touch to have makeup mirror in the bathroom. Nice size bathroom too. Great touch to have a single serve Keuring coffee machine and small refrigerator in the room. We were only here for the night but this would be a great room for multiple days.

Welcoming and helpful front desk staff. They always had a smile, they were always interested - nice to see and experience. We did not use the free breakfast other than coffee - but it looked like a good variety of choices.

Overall this is a good choice and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor seems quiet - no street noise
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. I'm pleased you found the hotel clean and your bed comfortable. I appreciate your comments regarding the friendliness of the staff. We look forward to having you and your family stay with us the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is beautiful for a great price in santa barbara! Room is big bathroom is bigger, upgraded in last year, comfortable pillow top beds, mini (not so mini) fridge , full length mirror, Complimentary breakfast and im not talking just boxes of cereal and milk, it included cooked eggs a waffle iron, numerous juices, coffee, pastries, cereal, oatmeal ALL FREE ! Pet friendly! Staff is friendly and place looks so clean! Would definitely recommend

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I'm pleased you and your girlfriends enjoyed your visit at our recently renovated hotel. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you all visit Santa Barbara!
Las Vegas NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was the final night of our road trip and the third La Quinta. Being pet-friendly at no charge has made LQ our go-to chain for traveling with the dog. Granted, this hotel is pricey, but you can expect that from Santa Barbara. I admit that I had a little trouble finding the hotel and then I had trouble finding the check-in desk. After an extra loop around the block, I pulled into the upper parking lot, which turned out to be perfect for the room we were given.

As far as room design, this was probably the nicest of our trip. They probably renovated fairly recently. My only complaint is that the air coming out of the air conditioner smelled like a public toilet. As long as I wasn't right next to it, it wasn't bad. By the parking lot, there's a little artificial grass area for letting your dogs do their thing. That's a nice touch. Breakfast was pretty standard. I admit that a waffle machine is pretty much all I need. This time, they only had scrambled eggs (no sausage or bacon). The eggs tasted the best compared to the other La Quintas, though we found it funny that they were in big chunks that look like yellow tofu.

As a side note, this hotel now charges for parking. At the time I booked our room, parking was free and they honored that after I mentioned it.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm pleased you enjoyed the room design of our recently renovated hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding our artificial grass area for your pet. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Staff is very friendly and rooms clean and comfortable
Hotel has a pool with nice loungers and pretty surroundings
Also has parking facilities

Assistant Manager Brett was very helpful throughout the whole booking process
Does not have a bar so this is a disadvantage for a group

Room Tip: Pool is heated so that is an advantage
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I'm pleased you found the hotel clean and comfortable. I appreciate you kind words regarding Brett and the friendliness of the staff. Thank you for your comments on the landscaping and the heated pool. We look forward to having you and your garden tour group as our guests the next time you visit Santa Barbara!

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!