“What a great surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Michigan
“What a great surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It's a La Quinta, so I had La Quinta expectations. Driving up helped reinforce those lowered expectations - low budget 1950's motel look.... Then the lobby - very hip clean modern feel (think Aloft), then the room - biggest two double bed room I've ever seen, also very clean and modern (sliding frosted glass doors to the huge bathroom. Room had a nice sitting area, fridge, coffee maker, etc.

The interior courtyard of the motel has a nice pool and landscaping. Free breakfast in the AM.

Staff was very helpful - we booked two rooms - connecting rooms aren't available and the two they gave us were very far apart. After seeing the room size we asked to just take one and they were able to sell our other one so we weren't charged (we checked in at 9pm so we were already on the hook for the 2nd room)

There are a lot of nice hotel options in Santa Barbara, but I would stay here.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Let me begin by explaining why I am only giving this la Quinta three stars. It does not have to do with the location, which is superb, the accommodations, which are very nice for the price, nor the recent modernization which was done extremely well and makes the rooms stylish. In fact, overall this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Rather, the reason for the low ratings involves housekeeping. There is a refrigerator in the rooms, and when we opened ours discovered that the guest before us had left fast food in a bag and a soft Slurpie which had leaked through the entire refrigerator making it pretty gross. The housekeeping staff obviously had not looked in there when preparing the room for its next guest. In addition, a big wad of purple gum had been stuck to the lamp pole next to one of the beds. Also gross.

We informed the Front desk staff who were very apologetic and responsive.. We actually pointed the problems out to the house cleaning staff when they came to the room. However, when we returned, the leaking Slurpie was still in the refrigerator and the water of gum was still stuck on the lampole We had to remove both, then washed our hands about six times.

Bottom line is that this is a good value in a great location and the staff are very nice. The key is to keep the place up to par from a cleanliness and healthiness standpoint. I hope they do!

Stayed April 2015
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for your very kind review of the hotel even though we dropped the ball on cleanliness in your room. I apologize for the food left in the fridge and the gum on the night stand. That is completely unacceptable. I will definitely share this with my housekeeping staff as they have very high standards and pride themselves on spotless rooms. I'm pleased you found the staff concerned and responsive to these issues. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you are in Santa Barbara!
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I chose this hotel for its location on State Street. Our family (two adults, two kids aged 6 and 1) enjoyed a lovely walk down the street to the wharf and back again. Plenty of restaurants to choose from, and there is a grocery store located opposite the hotel. There are also a few pharmacies like CVS on State Street for groceries and necessities. Our double queens room was nice and spacious, with room for an extra baby crib. The bathroom was beautiful. Breakfast was basic with cereals, fruits, yogurts, coffee/tea/hot choc, and hot DIY waffles was a nice touch. We appreciated the boiled eggs for substantial protein.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor room facing away from the street
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I'm pleased you found the hotel clean, comfortable and conveniently located. I appreciate your kind words regarding our beautiful bathroom. We look forward to having you and your family stay with us the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When we first drove up I was a little worried because it looked more like a La Quinta Inn--with the rooms facing outward so people walk past your window--but that was the only resemblance. It's been very nicely renovated and the bathroom was almost large enough to fit another bed in. It had a beautiful shower, which would be thrilling for many, but was actually a disappointment for my daughter and I since we are both bath fans and we didn't realize that only some of the rooms have baths. I asked about that at the front desk and was told that only certain rooms have baths and you have to make sure to specify and get there early! The beds were comfortable and the pillows were better than most La Quintas. And finally--some decent bath towels at a La Quinta!! The room was also very clean, so kudos to the cleaning staff. We stayed in the main hotel, but there are also bungalows that I would like to check out next visit. The staff was excellent--day and night. While the eating area was charming--with seating both inside and out by the pool, it would have been nice to have more hot foods than just waffles; even smaller LQ's have scrambled eggs and potatoes and/or a meat. I'm not going to mark it down though, because I feel the ambiance and the attentiveness of the person who replenished and cleaned made up for the lack. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from State Street--overlooking the pool or one of the bungalows.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review of our recently renovated hotel. I appreciate your comments about the excellent staff and super clean rooms. I'm pleased you found the beds comfortable and the bathroom plush. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Sancerre, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This recently remodeled hotel is a nice find in Santa Barbara. Located just off State street it is about a 10 minute walk to down town or just a couple of minutes to the shuttle bus that takes you downtown for .50 cents.
The room was large and the newly remodeled bathroom very nice. The air conditioning was a bit loud and I had the bad luck to have a noisy neighbor staying in the room above me (danced all night?). Otherwise, a quiet place. Parking is a bit pricy: $10 (on street is free until 10:30 am I believe ).
Good breakfast buffet but go early as seating fills quickly. Additional tables for breakfast would be appreciated.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your kind review of our recently renovated hotel. I'm pleased you enjoyed the clean room and large bathroom. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is one of the nicer La Quinta hotels. It's newly renovated and has a great location. The staff is incredible! It has the right mix of trendy and comfort. Everyone in our family likes staying here, the kids, husband, even the dog!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I'm pleased your entire family (including your pet) enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed in a King Suite. It was very nice. A beautiful bath, walk in shower and high sink. High, comfy bed. It was quite even though it was by a road. Had refrigerator with a freezer - I don't see freezers very often! I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Scott N, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your complimentary review of the hotel. I'm pleased you enjoyed the king suite, the spacious bathroom and comfortable bed! We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you visit Santa Barbara!

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!