“"Pleasantly Surprised."” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 58 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Camino, California
“"Pleasantly Surprised."”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Sandman Inn is a very good motel when you’re staying in Santa Barbara area. It has a place to eat breakfast called Al’s Diner that looks like a 50’s diner. It had 2 bedrooms in our room that we stayed in. It had music and movie décor in the motel. It's a cute place. Shower is noisy. Carpet is old. Overall, staff was very friendly, rates were reasonable, breakfast was included, and beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: 350 was a corner room and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Santa Barbara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our stay in Santa Barbara's Sandman Inn was great. The rooms are clean and spacious, each morning the room was cleaned as if by fairies while we had breakfast in the lovely diner. The pools are warm, clean and well organised, plenty of loungers and seating- the pools towels are a great idea saves getting your own towels wet. We had a great time and would recommend the Sandman Inn if you are traveling to Santa Barbara or just passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Not a luxury hotel but a great place to stay for a couple of days - easy access to beach, shops, freeway, other attractions. Free continental breakfast, friendly staff - would definitely go again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The room and complex were pretty good, Walls are made of a material somehow strong enough to support the roof but thin enough to let you hear every word from the next rooms, if you're into hearing strangers getting it on this will definitely be a plus point. Plumbing is louder than any I've ever heard. If you prepay be sure to make sure they don't charge you again at check out as they did us, it takes them a while to get the money back top you.

Wifi is so painfully slow that they may as well not have it.

Probably a great place to stay on a quiet night, otherwise the quality of stay will depend on the civility of your neighbors.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mendenhall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Traveling with my 18 yr old daughter to San Diego and Santa Barbara to visit UCSD and UCSB where she was accepted. It was a whirlwind trip on a budget so I opted for convenient, and inexpensive basic accommodations. I did some research and decided on The Sandman Inn mostly due to the fact that it was about half the price of anything else, and looked pretty nice from the reviews and photos. We stayed for two nights 3/31 - 4/2

I wasn't expecting much, but it far exceeded my standards for a cheap room. The motel itself is a 1960's style cinder block motor lodge where you park right in front of your room. There are several one-story buildings laid out in a little campus with two swimming pool areas and a hot tub. The grounds are impeccably kept and for a dated property, they really did a nice job working the the retro theme and decorating it for today. I was sad to hear one review of rude management. I had nothing but wonderful service from every single person I dealt with - they were very friendly and eager to help with anything I needed/requested.

I will list the pros and cons from my experience here:

Pros: Room was very large with a table and two chairs along with a King sized bed. Lots of space with an area to hang clothes, plus a full sized dresser. Good sized flat screened TV with a DVD player (you can borrow at no extra charge from a large collection of DVDs they have in the office), mini fridge, microwave, iron, full sized ironing board, ample supply of toiletries including a new toothbrush in case you forgot yours. Big fluffy white towels ( I usually expect the cheap thin ones at budget motels). 1/2 mile off of rt. 101 for ease to travel to Stearns Wharf, UCSB or back to LA.

Pools were very nice and had pool towels there. Lobby was clean and cute and offered hot coffee and juice 24/7 along with snacks.

The free breakfast was in a cute room they had set up like a 50's diner. Breakfast wasn't gourmet, but there was a large selection of cereals, yogurts, fruit, toast, donuts, muffins, waffles, and microwavable breakfast sandwiches/burritos. Much like you may have as a grab and go at home. Charming place completely done up in the retro theme with ample tables and booths. Items were abundant and the diner was clean.

Cons: Bed wasn't the most comfortable, but I am easy to please there so no sleeping issues for me. The electrical outlets were old and plugs fell out of most of them. That was a bit annoying. The lighting could have been improved. There was no overhead lighting and essentially none in the closet area (also where the full length mirror was located). The two beside lamps and one standing lamp was all you got in the room. Bathroom was kind of small, as was the shower and the water pressure wasn't great. Room had a slight musty smell that I have experienced before in the cement block type motels. It was a little farther than I expected from the heart of the action on State Street. That was my mistake in not checking that out. We did run/walk there, but it was 4.5 miles away, so I had an unplanned 9 mile workout.

All in all I felt like we got the most for our money here. I would definitely stay here again for the price. I would rather spend my money on other things like activities and nice dinners out. The Sandman Inn is a great choice for budget minded travelers.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are a couple with ywo adult kids.The rooms were well sized, comfortable and very clean. The staff very kind and the breakfast excellent. Internet in the rooms is slow though it works fine in the lobby. Nice place to stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Windsor Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My son had a series of meetings in Los Angeles this March. My wife decided to fly out of Detroit to meet up with him, rent a car and travel the Pacific Hwy 101. Their destination after his meetings in L.A. were to travel North to San Fransisco. Tired from driving they called me at my office in Windsor Ontario Canada to book them a room in Santa Barbara. After researching trip advisor, map quest, and many different booking sites, I decided to check out Priceline.com for the first time. I was looking for an affordable Motel,safe,clean and not to far off the Hwy. so that my wife and son could find it quick and easily. So I booked the Sandman Inn. Great price and pictures on Priceline.com looked great too. I followed up with a phone call to the Motel and spoke with Mike. Mike confirmed the reservation, told me more about the room and benefits to staying with the Sandman Inn.He also told me they are located just a half mile off Hwy 101 on State street. He reassured me it was a good choice I made for my wife and son, who were to arrive just after 7p.m. At 10:30 back home here in Windsor, my son called, said they checked in, met Mike and loved the place. They said it would be a great place to stay for a week. Pools, Hot Tub, very clean rooms, very friendly staff and as an added bonus, Mike said there is a free full breakfast in the morning. Mike and the Sandman Inn were over the top in Service. My wife called me the next morning to state, if we were to take the whole family sometime to California, we should spend the week at the Sandman Inn. It was that good.

Tipping my hat to you Mike for looking after my family,
Thanks Jerry Hartford

Room Tip: It's right off the Hwy 101 and easy to find.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Sandman Inn? Share your experiences!