“Way too expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
new york city
“Way too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I think the pricing varies upon the night, vendor. For $100-$150 this place is fine. We paid $250, wayyyy too much. It's a motel! It's not luxury or boutiquey, it's way far from the beach and the breakfast is uber-processed American fare. I would consider all of that to be expected - if we paid half the price, but since we didn't, it was disappointing. I was expecting romantic and cozy, not blinds that didn't close, and neighbors who I could hear slamming their car doors at 6 am. 80s decor, but definitely clean. Again, it's fine, just not what I expected.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Got a really great rate on bookings.com and stayed here for 4 nights. It is quite a way up State Street, so if you want to be within walking distance to the ocean, then this is not for you. Rooms seem to have been recently painted and the beds were comfortable if a little soft for my personal taste. Flat screen tv, pretty good wifi connection and a nice assortment of free toiletries. As ever with motels of this style, thin walls, but i didn't need to use my ear plugs, and i am a pretty light sleeper. A couple of small issues. There is a gap under the door, which meant I met ants, an ear wig and a couple of wood lice during my stay - this would be so easy to remedy. Also there was a fair bit of ground in food on my carpets from a previous guest. I saw the cleaner vacuum it, but that stuff needed to be washed out. The pools and jacuzzi looked nice, but it was a bit cold for me to take advantage of them this time. The breakfast in the faux 50s diner was really good: bread, English muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, 4 types of cereal, oatmeal, breakfast croissants...the list goes on! Really set me up for the day! The staff I met were friendly and helpful. All round a good budget motel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Caboolture, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Found this on Hotels.com and price was matched as soon as shown. Rooms were clean & fresh and although this is a large place, our rooms were quiet as they were at the back. Really, really comfortable King beds! Used clean guest laundry. Bit far out of main district. Breakfast included was a highlight. Gorgeous little 50s diner replica with booths, red & chrome & lovely lady keeping it stocked. All the usual bagels, muffins, yoghurt, cereal, bread, tea & coffee. Boiled eggs were a nice change. The only issue was the inability to pay with travel prepaid credit card. They just would not accept it despite every other place in last 3 weeks having done so. Rate low enough to pay cash easily but still strange

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The rate should be $59! Our rate was $95. For $15-$20 more, we could have had a more superior room elsewhere. I will not let my kids take a bath in the tub. Dirty, old, loud, and I still can't believe the price.

• Stayed February 2013
worldtravelr2, Web consultant at The Sandman Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not find The Sandman to provide you with the value that we believe it provides.

You came during the Santa Barbara Film Festival, one of the top 5 film festivals in the world, and all of the Santa Barbara hotels were sold out for the weekend, and at a higher rate. Our price was one of the lower prices in the city, and the lowest price of any two time winner of the Trip Adviser award of Excellence, and winner of the LA times "Best Budget Hotel". Santa Barbara is a tourist town and therefore expensive, and we pride ourselves in providing a lot on a small budget.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I always like to be honest and look for at least one draw back to every place I stay. It maybe small, but no one is perfect. I may have met my match with this one. A recent trip to Cali, and I needed a place to stay for the night. I was not even supposed to be in Santa Barbara, but I was. Using a website, I searched for something near by and reasonably priced, and found The Sandman Inn. I am skeptical about the information that the hotel enters, and it is hard to read review on my cell phone, on the fly. So I decided based on price/location. Was I surprised. The place was spotless, the staff courteous (at 3 am in the morning), the bed was so comfortable that i over slept the next morning. The downside I found? te smoking area was 50 feet away from the door. Not really my problem, but the person I was with lol

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Zaandam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Found this place in one of teh coupon books we picked up along the way. As everybody we first tryed some of the ocean front places in Santa Barbara but as expected they had crappy old rooms for way to much a night. So we drove straight here expecting to find something basic but good price quality. We where very surprised that we got a great room next to the pool which they even let me use even do it was already time to put in the cleaning liquid.
The next morning after sleeping very good on the beds we had a great breakfast inthere vintage breakfast room. Jukebox neon sign and the whole lot was there. All and all great stay!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A really nice place to stay for the money. Well landscaped grounds and nice pools (two). Front desk very friendly and helpful. Good continental breakfast and modern rooms. The only thing not so great was the shower stall which needed a remodel and was not up to the standard of the rest of the room. However, that is not enough to not stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Sandman Inn? Share your experiences!