“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Costa Mesa, California
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

You can't beat this location. Although the hotel is not the most up to date or modern, it has a great location with friendly staff. The staff even mailed me my ring that I had forgotten in the room. State street offers great shopping, bars, and fun restaurants or cafes. Staying at this hotel made it so much easier to get ready and go! It is a fairly quiet hotel, but there's no reason to party in the room, when there's so much night life just steps away. We appreciated the continental breakfast and the valet service was helpful. I'd recommend this place to anyone that is looking for a convenient location with clean rooms and friendly people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Belfast, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

From the moment that the attendant in the parking lot welcomed me to Hotel Santa Barbara to the thank you Gold Coin & chocolate on the check out, my stay in at the HSB couldn't have been more enjoyable.

Friendliness and service abounds in a location that puts you in the heart beat of SB. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed. The lobby is welcoming and very attractively decorated. Breakfast is above average for a complimentary buffet and the continuous coffee and apples available make it unnecessary to drop $ at the Starbucks next door.

As a solo traveler I felt very comfortable in and around the hotel and appreciated that there was a doorman on duty in the evenings.

You can walk to the Wharf, beach or just walk across the street to the restaurants. The day I was there, an open market set up at 4 PM on State Street right outside the hotel door. Fresh flowers, beautiful vegetables, olive oils and baked goods filled the street. Making HSB an even better location!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hotel Santa Barbara and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We'd never been to Santa Barbara before, so I figured we could stay along the beach with the views, or we could stay close to the cafe's and restaurants.

We chose the latter, which is why we selected The Hotel Santa Barbara which is right on State Street, which is the main drag of Santa Barbara.

We were so glad we did.

We arrived to valet parking, allowing us to get up to our room quickly and dump all of our luggage and get straight out into the main street in town. There's a fantastic choice of restaurants here and there's even some markets to go to.

This is what this hotel has to offer - the best location in this charming town.

The room was nice and tidy, with 2 double beds and a TV and desk area. They were clean and all the linen was nice.

We also had breakfast included in our price, which is served in the foyer area. This was nice and enjoyed by most of the guests the next morning.

The only thing missing was a hot breakfast (apart from waffles) - but the fruit was great and really sweet.

The main street comes alive on weekends, which is when we were there - the good news is the hotel room was still very quiet, even with all the people right outside walking past.

I highly recommend this hotel mainly because the location is simply unbeatable if you want to enjoy the atmosphere. If you want something more secluded, then try one of the beach hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Extremely friendly service!!! Very nice welcome gift. Nice continental breakfast. Parking - you have to pay...however, nothing when you compare the facilities that hotel offers... oh, by the way, no gym room!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I spent two nights (Fri & Sat) at the Hotel Santa Barbara and it was a perfect stay. The room was small but very comfortable, clean and well-appointed. The staff (from the parking attendant to the front desk staff) were courteous, helpful and enthusiastic. I got great restaurant recommendations from the staff. The continental breakfast in the morning (included in the price of the room) was delicious (where do they get those killer pastries???) Although I had a rental car, I didn't need it. Everything was within walking distance of the hotel. The old style elevator (with the interior cage door) really adds to the atmosphere of the hotel -- it was working during my stay on the 3rd floor. I love the lobby and how the hotel has a story and history to it. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it is on State Street steps from shopping and restaurants. It's also less than 1 mile from the beach, which can be easily walked. The elevator was out the weekend of our visit, and the hotel staff were trying to move people to the second (and more convenient floor) if they wished. Our room was small and basic, but clean, and for half the stay we didn't think we had a television (It was in the closet!). The decor for the hotel and rooms is a bit dated, especially the worn carpet on the stairs and in the hallways. However, the complimentary breakfast spread was impressive. The valet and front desk staff were professional, and the valet staff loaded our bags into our car after checkout (and before leaving). The price is very good for downtown Santa Barbara. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have had a great stay at this hotel so far. I've got one day left and I will recommend it to friends when they come visit. It's out of my price range generally and my company paid for it so of course it's great. Beside the fact that I didn't pay for the stay i can still objectively say that the service was great and very friendly,the breakfast was good and the location was great for a "center of it all" type hotel.
What was fun and interesting to me was that the hotel is supposed to be haunted and the fourth floor is where it's supposed to happen. So we stayed on the fourth floor. Our second night we heard or rather saw or thought we saw some "bumps in the night" activity. Or we were just playing tricks on ourselves.
Very convenient hotel to have a blast on state street in Santa Barbara. I wouldn't pay $250 for a room for a night but I'd stay here for $120 give or take $20. I will recommend it also. Definitely check it out if your heading to Santa Barbara.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!