“Good value in the center of everything” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Santa Barbara
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   533 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles, California
“Good value in the center of everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it is on State Street steps from shopping and restaurants. It's also less than 1 mile from the beach, which can be easily walked. The elevator was out the weekend of our visit, and the hotel staff were trying to move people to the second (and more convenient floor) if they wished. Our room was small and basic, but clean, and for half the stay we didn't think we had a television (It was in the closet!). The decor for the hotel and rooms is a bit dated, especially the worn carpet on the stairs and in the hallways. However, the complimentary breakfast spread was impressive. The valet and front desk staff were professional, and the valet staff loaded our bags into our car after checkout (and before leaving). The price is very good for downtown Santa Barbara. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have had a great stay at this hotel so far. I've got one day left and I will recommend it to friends when they come visit. It's out of my price range generally and my company paid for it so of course it's great. Beside the fact that I didn't pay for the stay i can still objectively say that the service was great and very friendly,the breakfast was good and the location was great for a "center of it all" type hotel.
What was fun and interesting to me was that the hotel is supposed to be haunted and the fourth floor is where it's supposed to happen. So we stayed on the fourth floor. Our second night we heard or rather saw or thought we saw some "bumps in the night" activity. Or we were just playing tricks on ourselves.
Very convenient hotel to have a blast on state street in Santa Barbara. I wouldn't pay $250 for a room for a night but I'd stay here for $120 give or take $20. I will recommend it also. Definitely check it out if your heading to Santa Barbara.

• Stayed April 2013
Duluth, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed in #400, a really clean, sunny, and spacious room with two comfortable queen beds, and windows on the side of the building facing State Street ( though building is indented, so room not noisy). The bathroom was huge, probably remodeled about 20 years ago, but in good condition. Rooms have French Provencal theme bedspreads - not the white covered comforters I like best- but that would be my only suggestion for improvement.

The elevator is rather old fashioned, but felt extremely safe to us - just much like those we have experienced in small Parisian hotels. The breakfast was very good - though if you want plain yogurt, better pick it up in town. The lobby is charming for either breakfast or just sitting around recovering from Santa Barbara shopping...

The staff is tremendously kind and more than helpful. They even weigh customer's mail and put charges on one's bill. The bellhops and valet parking guys are very good also. We intend to return!

Room Tip: Rooms with two queens seem to be larger.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Hotel Santa Barbara occupies a distinguished position off of State Street and is in convenient walking distance to all of the local bars, restauraunts and shopping. My girlfriend and I spent a very enjoyable weekend here a couple of weeks ago! The staff were very friendly and it was great to be able to not worry about parking our car and driving everywhere as the location is perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We drove into Santa Barbara without a hotel reservation and decided to give the Hotel Santa Barbara a try. We were not interested in a beach location choosing instead to be close to downtown Santa Barbara's shopping and dining spots. We couldn't have chosen better.

The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara on State Street, the main shopping thoroughfare. We arrived on a Tuesday which also happens to be market day - several blocks of State Street (including right in front of the hotel) are closed off to traffic and lined with dozens of vendors selling fresh vegetables, fruit and other products.

The Santa Barbara Hotel is an older property but is in pretty good shape. Our room was spacious, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is included (served in the lobby - the food was just adequate) and parking was an outstanding bargain at just $7.00 per day (it is valet parking).

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel has a great location on State Street right in the middle of great shopping, restaurants and within walking distance to the beach. The staff is very friendly and helpful with suggestions from where to eat to arranging transportation to the airport. I stayed in the standard queen, which was small but I the price was very reasonable especially with the free wi-fi and good continental breakfast each morning. The rooms do need updating, especially the bathrooms. The lobby is nice and very comfortable. I would suggest they also update the elevator, it's charming with the old fashioned gate, but extremely difficult to use especially trying to navigate with two pieces of luggage and both doors closing on me. I was on the second floor, so other than when I checked in and out I avoided the elevator. I think most guests did as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel Santa Barbara is in a fantastic location for wandering up and down State Street. Excellent shopping is within a few minutes walk to the North and the beach and pier are a 10 minute walk south.

The hotel itself is a little older - not sure of the exact age - but they have done a nice job of not letting it feel dated in a creepy way. Rooms are smaller than we are used to in the newer hotels and the TV's are still CRT-tube based, but honestly I wouldn't visit Santa Barbara just to sit in my room and watch TV.

The staff was very professional and friendly. Free wireless is available throughout the building. The free breakfast included fruits, cereal, pastries, coffee, juice, oatmeal, boiled eggs, and I believe I saw a waffle maker.

Also very close (10 minute walk) to the train station if you come that way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!