“A relaxing retreat with lovely touches” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 10-25% Off Room Rate
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
London
“A relaxing retreat with lovely touches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Really enjoyed my stay here. It's a really quaint B&B with lots of lovely homely touches (fire in lounge, fantastic free refreshments in afternoon/eve, great muffins at breakfast), but it has the professionalism of a well-run hotel too. Our room was fab too - huge bed and tasteful decor, although the bathroom was a bit of a squeeze. Hotel is well located for restaurants, shopping, etc, too, and although some may argue it's a bit of a way from the beach (25 min walk perhaps?) there was a regular shuttle bus in the area and it's a lovely stroll through much of the entertainment/cultural/shopping areas. Whatsmore, fantastic restuarants no distance from the hotel (we particuarly liked Opal). The wine and cheese the hotels lay on in late afternoon/ early eve (as well as milk and cookies before bed) also went down well - great for relaxing with after a day exploring. Thorougly recommend this hotel - a real find!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I was born and raised in S.B. and have sadly been pulled East. But, I have still have family and friends there, and I try to make it back at least once a year. When I return, I find myself doing all the touristy stuff that I wouldn't have been caught dead doing when I lived there, which by the way is a big thing in S.B. Much of the town's highlights are not squarely on the beaten path, i.e. not on State St. or Cabrillo Blvd., just like the Upham, and the locals like it that way. Not to say the town's not tourist friendly, but I'll just there's more to offer than a strip of bars and East Beach. When I go back home, if I can't stay at a friends house, I stay at the Upham.
Here's why: It's a few blocks to downtown, and it's close to the freeway so you can either to walk to go out at night, or hop on the 101 to go wherever. It's clean and quiet, which means nobody making a racket. The people who stay there are a classier lot, and Upham treats all its guests with dignity and respect. Also, I love Oreos, and every night after hours they leave out a tray of Oreos and Milk, which just makes it feel a little bit like home.
I took my wife with me last time and she was duly impressed. For the price, there is nothing nicer in SB.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights after X-mas and loved it! We stayed in the Windsor room and it was great. Comfy and cozy with a great window seat and private outdoor courtyard and separate entrance. The fireplace was great on the chilly nights too! It was perfect for us as we just needed to get away for a quick trip (our 2 year old was with the grandparents!) It is very much a hidden gem. And our 2 friends stayed 2 nights as well and the common areas were great for catching up. Since it is so small (only 8 rooms) the majority of the time no one else was around. It felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Breakfast is hearty as well, no need for lunch! We also had dinner at Louis's at the Upham Hotel - great as well. We will be back!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

History of this hotel is amazing. Ladies at the desk were very sweet, giving us directions we needed. Private parking lot was nice. B and B has wine/cheese in evenings, and eggs or pancake breakfast in the morning with a breakfast bar w/ yogarts, cereals and bread variety. Filled us up, and we were happy. Room was clean and the bathroom was impecable. Everything worked well. Towels were plush and robes were included. Fresh mini-flowers gave a personal touch. Very comfortable bed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We had all our guests stay here at the Upham for our wedding weekend and everyone simply raved about the beauty of the rooms and the grounds, and what a pleasure it was to stay here. Highlights are the wine/cheese/cracker hour and milk and cookies in the evening in the lovely lobby/lounge area. We all so enjoyed sitting in the breakfast room chatting after helping ourselves to coffee, cereal, and pastry from the continental breakfast. Coffee, tea and spanish hot chocolate are always available to help yourself to in the lobby around the clock. What a great experience. Marjorie was our contact for the weekend and she is warm, lovely and so helpful - all the staff were so accommodating of all our needs. We will definitely be back to the Upham - and from the talks we've had with our guests from the wedding, so will they!

• Stayed October 2009
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I always love staying at the Upham for the staff are always so kind, the rooms are cozy with great comforters and a charming decor. It is a large property so you can sit on the gazebo chairs or lawn and overlook the colorful gardens and bungalow rooms. The breakfast wos very plentiful with delicious sweets such as pumpkin bread, coffee cake and scones, Other breakfast items included fresh fruits and bagels with cream cheese, butter and jams, hard boised eggs, cereals and more...
Fruits, tea, coffee and packets to make cocoa were aviailbale throughout the day. In the later afternoon was cheese and crackers and wines. In the evening was Oreo cookies which was my only dissappointment.

I felt so relaxed during my stay and I would definately return to the Upham and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Apple Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

The service each morning-fresh coffee-quiche-the evening time with the fire place downstairs meeting with all our friends and tasting the wine we bought on our tour of the vineyards in the valley-all of this done by a staff of wonerfull people that seemed to be invisable-unless you needed them-5 stars from my wife and I.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Upham Hotel & Country House? Share your experiences!