“low rent accomodation at its finest” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 25 hotels in Santa Ana
OC California
“low rent accomodation at its finest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

From the "just too small" parking spaces to the too compact breakfast area without enough seating, the hotel is unwilling to allocate space or funds to improve the facility. We stayed a week in a ground floor room near the noisy laundry area that seemed to be in use 24/7. As noted by another reviewer, the room overlooked an ugly vehicle storage lot.
The housekeeping staff have a habit of barging in despite shouts of "not right now!" but they were accomodating and seemed to know when the room was empty, enabling a pleasant "Oh, the bed's been made" when returning. Wifi was fast, but the noisy common areas and the lousy breakfast area, coupled with the $30 charge for a later checkout ensured we won't return.

Room Tip: get the key and check the room first, stay away from the noisy common areas
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Osprey, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I am not a travel snob, and I have stayed at lots of Comfort Inns and Suites. This one was just average. The hotel is tired, and the back of the hotel faces an ugly vehicle storage lot. The back rows of rooms seemed so bleak and abandoned that it felt a little uncomfortable walking to my room. The rooms facing the pool, by contrast, seemed warm and welcoming. Breakfast was sterile, and on the cold, wet day I was there, the lack of indoor seating was very frustrating. A broken elevator the day of my departure iced the cake, because I was NOT in the mood to carry my bags down the stairs. OK; in fairness, the hotel room was cheap, and the weather was not very nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the rear (north) of the property!!! Zoom in on Google Earth and you will see...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here twice on our way in and out of SoCal. It was convenient to the airport and friends. The staff is great, especially Umberto, who helped us with some small maintainace problems. The Hotel is busy and looks a little worn, and it could use some TLC, which it is getting (we saw evidenceof this). I would have wanted to rate this 4 stars but colud not due to small things going wrong--like ants in the bathroom (which *was* addressed right away by staff) and some broken equppment (phone did not work in our second stay, bathroom fan broken, etc.). The place was clean, but could use some fresh paint--which some of the rooms *were* getting while we were there. The poll and spa worked just fine. Breakfast was good and in a clean area--eggs and saugage and hot waffles complimented the contenental offerings. Check in and out was quick and painless. The internet worked well and was of decent speed and there were multiple connections available. We would stay here again as the place was clean and the price was right. One caution--be careful driving in and out of the parking lot--the entrance is quite steep and it is easy to "ground" your car if you go too fast or go straight in or out (go on an angle). This is a budget motel so do not expect the Ritz--but it was just fine for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Encinitas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel was mediocre. We stayed because we just got married in Orange county and were flying out of John Wayne the next morning for our honeymoon. We choose this hotel because of the park and fly was a good deal and seemed pretty convenient. Was a bad idea to choose this hotel for the start of our honeymoon as it was not really comfortable or special at all. That was our fault though. The worst part was the shuttle picking us up at the airport once we returned home on Tuesday, November 6th. I called the hotel at 5:49PM and requested the shuttle and the women said, yes there is someone else already waiting and it should be there in 7 min. We were on the curb waiting and no shuttle came. At about 6:05 my husband called and asked where it was and the women said they didn't know anyone was waiting and that it would be 20 min. We are still on curb waiting and watching every single van, shuttle, bus ect. We did not leave the curb! At 6:24 I called again and she said he hadn't even left to come get us and that it would be 20 min. That would bring our waiting period from 5:49 to 6:44 Almost 1 whole hour for the shuttle!! That's absurd!!! After my husband called back after I hung up because I was getting no where and the women said there was nothing they could do and that it would be at least 20 min. We asked that the hotel reimburse us if we took a cab and she said no. We took the $22 cab ride and just left because we were so mad, we will never stay at any comfort inn again! The best part was the breakfast, the worst part the service, checking in was a hassel also. The girl had no idea what she was doing and I had to keep asking questions, she was very unhelpful. Most likely was the same girl who was working the night of the shuttle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hackettstown, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was there for a week. It was a few minutes from John Wayne Airport and Is alot better then LAX not as busy. Also, about 10 mintes give or take with traffic from Disney. The breakfast was nice. The lady who did the stocking was very nice. The woman who checked me in was nice as well. The beds were comfortable and the room was big enough. One night though we can back to our room and had only one wash cloth so I went downstairs and the front desk person said there wasn't anymore until the next morning. The she hands me a bath towel. I never used it I did have a extra smaller towel in the room so I used that. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Crystal, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed one night before we went back home to Minnesota. Did not have problems with it being pre-paid or any of the problems other reviews have mentioned. It was a nice clean room and quiet. Nice atmosphere. Very helpful staff and very friendly. Thanks so much!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chino Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I coach a high school cross country team from Arizona and we came to this hotel in October. We had a great stay. The rooms were nice, a little outdated, but they were clean. The breakfast filled up the teenagers (which is saying something!). The pool was nice and the staff was helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites John Wayne Airport? Share your experiences!