“Roomier and better than expected.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Santa Ana
Clearwater
“Roomier and better than expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I came expecting pretty much a dive. It was better than I expected. It wasn't excellent, but was the cheapest place around. The room was large. Bed was comfortable. It was literally a suite so had a couch and a nice table that I was able to do work on.

Definitely was the best value compared to price that I was able to find around.

Nothing much to complain about. It wasn't the Hilton, but it was a cheap, affordable and pretty spacious room that was comfortable and didn't have any major faults.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I did not stay at this hotel long enough to enjoy any of the amenities offered. I checked into a ground-floor room with two beds after midnight, and was immediately offended by the strong smokey smell (not to mention the ancient orangey/brown decor) in the room. This hotel is meant to be non-smoking (and thus, non-smelly), but perhaps the change only happened recently, as the odor of stale cigarette smoke is heavy and undeniable. I got out of there first thing in the morning, and checked in at La Quinta, which would have been lovely except for the cockroaches scuttling through my room in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was uncertain about staying here due to all the reviews, but we had a wonderful experience. The room was large enough and the staff was fantastic (except for the abrupt person at the counter our last morning.) I have never stayed anywhere where staffed worked so hard. I constantly saw workers at all hours doing a great job. It really is more of a motel than hotel, but our room opened onto the pool and patio area so nice to have the courtyard. The hotel even had a brand new gas grill that we used for a cookout. The bed was too soft for my taste and toilet tended to run a little long but that is all the "negatives" I have. I would stay here again with no problem at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

With a perfect location for my business trip, and the courteous friendly staff, I really wanted to like the Comfort Inn & Suites by the airport. Alas, it was not to be.

When this hotel was first built, I bet it was terrific. Unfortunately, it looks as though there have been virtually no upgrades and only bare bones maintenance. Plumbing fixtures are loose and leaky. Fans for the bathroom vent and air conditioner are very noisy. The carpet is dirty, the TV is ancient, the curtain rods are falling off the window...you get the idea.

The breakfast is like most you find in this type of hotel, but they need to learn how to restock the items. Both mornings they ran out of something (juice, waffle syrup etc...) Sorry, but I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a typical comfort inn with exception to outdoor access. I view those as motels instead of hotels. Needs upgraded. Seemed a little dingy to me.

• Stayed June 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I made the unfortunate mistake of staying longer than 1-2 days at this out-dated establishment. The first day I had to move because the sink backed up from another room. That was only the beginning of my unbearable stay. Once, I was moved to another room where the A/C temperature was uncomfortable at night; the toilet was continually breaking down (I had to lift the lid and manually flush after it was supposedly repaired); and last but certainly not least the hotel began installation construction shortly after I arrived and I was forced to endure jack hammering early in the morning and after business hours in the evening. I was forced to endure because I pre-paid and would lose the payments. I understand that sometimes repairs are necessary; but you would think that I would have been shown the courteous of telling me before I have made payments that could not be refunded. I should have be suspect when I checked in and was told that under no circumstances would I be given a refund if I chose to leave.

My stay was for 22 days and you would think management would have offered some type of apology or partial refund for the torture I was forced to endure. After leaving the hotel I found out that I was charged for an additional day after I departed without my knowledge. You would think that even if I did owe for an additional day they would have given me the day because of the unbearable noise of the construction I had to endure. I was a model customer during my entire stay always treating the staff with respect despite the fact that my comfort was disregarded. SHAME ON YOU FOR YOUR UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNGODLY BEHAVIOR!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay more than 1 night.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
CA800, General Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Cyntcoder-
We are very sorry that during your stay with us you experienced excessive noise. I do not know how far in advance you booked your room? But we did update our hotel information as the installation period grew near that during a seven day period, We would be upgrading our TV service to HD. During that seven day period, We were constantly leaving updates posted next to every room informing our guests when the service would be installed , the times the installation would occur, and when a technician would be entering the rooms to verify the new signal. However, after reviewing your comments, We will update our site information as well as ensure our partnership sites are updated with a longer booking window in regards to any Property Improvements scheduled for the hotel. We truly appreciate the time you took to share your concerns with us. We thank you for allowing us to be your host hotel during your stay in Santa Ana.

Dan Kramer
phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I usually stay at the Quality Inn Suites right across the street, but when they wouldn't give me a break to stay an extra night I used my Choice Hotels membership points to stay free here at the Comfort Inn. This is a great area, easy access for everything. The hotel, room was very nice, bed was great and the sofa bed was wonderful too! The room was a little dated but clean. They had shampoo, and lotion and ofcourse a hair dryer. The breakfast area is a little small, but the food was good. A/C unit is the standard window unit and not real quite but ok. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites John Wayne Airport? Share your experiences!