“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Santa Ana
new jersey
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I really like this hotel. The front desk staff are very knowledgable about directions and made me feel like family. The rooms and hotel have recently been renovated and everything in the room was new. I liked having a balcony.They don't have a free breakfast but the restaurant serves the best breakfast it is better than getting the same boring buffet breakfast. It would be nice if they would have coffee in the lobby. The hotel is 5 minutes from the John Wayne airport and 10 minutes from the Huntington Beach Pier. I stayed here 12 days for business and definitely will go back.

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
snasa, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled that you were pleased with our newly renovated rooms and were able to enjoy the Bistro.

We cannot wait to have you back! Hopefully next time it will be a leisurely trip instead of all business :)

Mikaela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Adrian, Michigan
1,184 reviews 1,184 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was convenient to our morning appointment in Tustin. It was a good choice as the hotel was off the beaten path a little but easy to find with GPS. It had an attractive appearance outside and a nice décor in the lobby area. The grounds were also very attractive. The check-in experience was easy and efficient. The rooms were well maintained, comfortable and spacious. The bed was comfortable and enabled a good night's sleep. The WiFi worked well during our stay. The Bistro in the morning was a nice option for breakfast as the prices were reasonable with some good, healthy choices. The checkout was also very efficient. The rates were pretty good for the area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a hotel in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are sincerely happy to hear that not only was our close proximity to your appointment ideal, but that our staff and amenities met your needs and expectations so well.

Your lovely review is very kind and appreciated. We very much hope to see you back the next time you find yourself in the area.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

this is a great hotel if you're going to a concert at The Observatory. it's cross the street so no need to worry about parking or driving afterwards. However note, that there's not much around as far as nightlife.

The hotel has a nice lounge with beer, wine and some cocktails..

the rooms have been re-done and are more modern.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
snasa, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review. We are so pleased that the proximity to the Observatory worked so well for your stay.

I'm also very happy you were able to enjoy our Bistro at night.

We would love to have you back if you ever plan on seeing another show or are visiting the area again!

Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

It is tough to review this hotel. It is in the process of a remodel and so it might be a completely different property in a couple of months.

The lobby area has been remodeled to the new Courtyard standard. So it is nice and modern. The rooms however are being torn apart. My room was fine. Standard Courtyard.

One complaint is that the room's main lights are motion sensored. So they will turn off after a while. I'm all for going green but they are not very sensitive so I had them turning off even when I was in the room.

The pool area looked nice. It is outside and has a nice feel to it. The workout area was pretty poor but I was told it was going to be expanded.

Overall not a bad place, but be prepared for construction. Should be looking good when it is done.

• Stayed March 2013
snasa, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I'm very excited to say that we are now completely finished with our room renovation you noticed was going on during your stay.

Your feedback on the lights shutting off while you were in the room is very helpful to ensure everything is in perfectly working condition.

I am so glad you were able to enjoy our pool area and hopefully we can have you back very soon to enjoy our finished product which will soon include the spa area being turned in to a large workout room as you mentioned.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The updated lobby and bar area are very nice.

The rooms still need updating but will look very nice when they are done. As someone else said, the towels were fairly worn looking and rough but they soak up water and that is their job afterall.

We slept fairly well but beware, this seems to be a popular place for families going to Disneyland and there was quite a bit of noise starting around 6:30am. We had the pleasure (note sarcasm) of listening to a husband and wife have a discussion outside our door and frankly it sounded like they were standing in our room, weird accoustics I guess. We could also hear showers turning on and off from other rooms and the folks above walking around their room was quite loud. I think next time I will ask for a room on the second floor.

We were really looking forward to using the jacuzzi only to find it was out of service (empty of water actually....).

We bought food from the on-site restaurant (2 salads, an appetizer and 2 beers $42). I suggest if you want a beer or two you stop by a liquor store and get a whole six pack rather then pay the cost of a six-pack for one beer at the hotel.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful though.

Room Tip: Obvious stuff, get a courtyard view if you can, parking lots and cars are no fun to look at. :D
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
snasa, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate you taking a moment to review. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our public areas and that the staff was able to make you feel welcome during your stay.

I am sorry to hear that there was excess noise in the guest room. Feedback such as yours allows us to make improvements necessary for a flawless stay. I assure you this will be something we look in to. I also want to apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to use the spa during your stay. We have plans for repurposing that space and would love to have you back to enjoy that renewed area and our refreshed guest rooms next time you are in town.

Woodland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked this through Priceline and I have used them about 10 times in past and have always been happy with the hotel. Well not this time, traveled with just my daughter & I and did not feel safe at all. They make the check in area look fresh and up to date, but once you leave that area boy does it change. The pictures on there website are not true to the room either. Beds are very low to the ground and not comfortable, towels felt rough to touch , like they were well used. I booked and paid for 3 nights at this place & checked out after 12 hrs......

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
snasa, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay. We are in the process of a room renovation right now that will provide us with brand new beds and a completely refreshed style that compliments our lobby and Bistro. If you are back in the area I would love to be able to show you our improved rooms and hopefully have you stay again.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

1. Room was very comfortable, but nothing special. Everything worked and the hotel was very quiet. We enjoyed our stay and did stay for 4 nights during mid-October. Shower, TV, small desk and even a small patio overlooking the pool were very nice.

2. Whirlpool did not work for 4 days. A sign was posted first two days and we had to tell management it was not working. Whirlpool is indoors and was hot, but could not be turned on. This was very disappointing since I am recovering from severe strained leg muscles.

3. Never saw anyone use the outdoor pool. We tried, but it was ice cold and not heated. The ocean is only 5 miles away and was warmer than the hotel pool which was unswimmable.

4. Maid service was dodgy. We were still in the room until 8:30 AM one morning and the maid came to the door. We stated we were leaving in 2 minutes. When we returned back to the room around 5PM, the room had never been cleaned and we needed to change and head out. The maid was just getting to the room. What happened here. We had to change in the public restroom downstairs.

5. Courtyard is the only Marriott chain we have seen that only has lobby coffee and morning's until 9AM and not all day and night. All other times, you have to either make your own in your room (Yuck!) or purchase it from the restaurant. Not a good policy compared to other Marriott chains. Courtyard never had complimentary food, but now has a bistro type restaurant that really doesn't cut it with us. I like to eat, and the new Courtyard has done away with the buffet and gone to breakfast sandwiches and very light fare which also doesn't cut it with us.

6. The area is very nice with IKEA 1 mile away, and tons of restaurants, a Whole Foods, movies, Orange County Irvine convention center and tons of shopping and don't forget Newport Beach which is just a few minutes down the road and worthy of a visit anytime of the year with its niche restaurants and beautiful ocean views.

7. We asked for a microwave and never received one even though the desk told us they could send one to our room. Also, was asked for extra towels, since the small excercise room rarely had towels, we never received them.

Overall average and didn't meet my needs. I would select another hotel in the area, but the management appeared somewhat attentive but did not deliver for many circumstaces.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony, provides extra room to the somewhat smaller rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback and taking time to write a review. I'm happy to hear that you were pleased with the guest room and location. I want to personally apologize for your stay not being up to the high standard we strive to provide. We appreciate you giving us information that can help us keep our property constantly evolving and improving. If you do plan to make a return trip to the area we would love to have you back so that we may create an experience that will be all around enjoyable.

Mikaela

Been to Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro? Share your experiences!