“Decent, nothing really outstanding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Santa Ana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Schererville, Indiana
“Decent, nothing really outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I was kind of iffy on giving this hotel a 3 or 4 rating. I went with a 4 because while I don't have anything to discount it further, I just wasn't impressed.
Our room had two queen beds and was an adequate size for the one night we stayed before a trip to Disneyland. Our room was clean. The front desk staff was friendly. When we arrived the gentleman at the front desk only had one not-so-warm cookie so he gave us vouchers for two more when we checked out. Upon check-out the person at the front desk gave us four cookies. My husband was pleased.
I felt like our room was just okay. It seemed small. The bathroom had a hard to move pocket door. The parking was $11 (not mentioned to us, just added to our bill) and the lot was pretty dark late at night (had to venture back to the car for a phone charger). There's some sort of apartment/condo building nearby that had some sort of loud party going at night that made me less than happy to wander through the parking lot alone.
But, our room was clean. The bed was comfy. The toiletries weren’t as extensive as other Doubletrees I’ve stayed at (or as pictured by another guest), but the bathroom was adequate.
I wouldn't avoid this hotel in the future like other places I've stayed in the area. Other hotels tend to be larger and in busier areas. This Doubletree Club was off the beaten bath in a business park so it wasn’t only filled with families. The parking, while dark, wasn’t a mile away from our room (like the Hilton SNA or the Hyatt in Garden Grove).
It was really just okay. We did get a good deal through a third-party booking site so that did help.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
MarkPfeifer, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Greetings from the DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport!

I wanted to thank you for surveying your overall experience at the DoubleTree
Club by Hilton Orange County Airport . Here at the Doubletree Club we encourage
our guests to survey our products, services, and amenities. I apologize that you had a bad experience at our property and would love to discuss this personally.

Please contact me directly so I may address your issues and relay your experience with the appropriate hotel management.

David Arriola
Director of Revenue Management & Social Media Marketing
Doubletree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport
david.arriola2@hilton.com
714-751-2400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Seattletraveler1965
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I have been flying to Santa Ana once a month for about two years to attend a study program. I always enjoyed hotel service. They provide free shuttle from the airport and give you a cookie or a bottle of water when you arrive. The rooms are spacious and clean. Excellent air conditioner and they recently updated common areas. You can work out in their small but nicely equipped fitness room or walk around the artificial lake. There are many choices to eat nearby. Cleaning ladies are hard working and always smile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a top floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Grand Terrace, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Well we stayed here two nights 4th of July weekend. First off the room we reserved wasn't ready at check-in. Then an hour later they say they have to put us in another room because the one we booked someone smoked in it and wouldn't be ready because they had to shampoo the carpet. A real inconvience we had to store our belongings in another family memebers room. The rooms are small and the air conditioning is loud. the refrigerator was also in a cabinet which at night was loud also. This hotel is for business people. The morning hot cooked breakfast and the Cookies were it's best feautures!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I had planned on staying here for five nights however after arriving in a nice entrance and updated lobby things went progressively bogus!
The elevators are slow and some of the floor indicator lights are not working.The hallways are really dark old and uninviting..When we opened the door to our room we knew instantly that this is going to be a bogus stay at this hotel.The door to the bathroom (its a pocket style) looked like it had been patched and semi quasi painted numerous times, and it didn't close against its jam...Nice!
The rooms have a had a update in the past few years but someone forgot to come back and finish it all..Some newly updated area's alongside old outdated..Hmmmm..
The A/C unit is a struggler to keep that room cool but yet sounds like its working hard?
We looked at the pool area and it looked uninviting so we vetoed it.
That said,this place does have quite redeeming features..The on site restaurant has great food and the people are quite friendly working in it and the outside eating area is very inviting and nicely appointed with a man made lake right there to enjoy.
Our hotel shuttle driver was very friendly and picked us up almost immediately after calling him and gave us some valuable tips on the area and the check in staff were really friendly and efficient.
You can walk or jog around the lake area and feed the birds...Its really nice in that aspect..This location is fantastic but the hotel inside is not near as nice as its surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The DoubleTree Club Hotel in Santa Ana is a perfectly adequate but relatively unremarkable hotel. Its best features are its location and the rates and upgrades available when guests book through HiltonHHonors.com.

The DoubleTree Club Hotel is a basic business hotel. It’s a bit smaller than many similar properties in the Hilton family, it’s well kept and attractive, and the staff members are polite and pleasant enough. The on-site restaurant and lounge are convenient, as are the fitness and business centers, but “adequate” is probably the highest praise they deserve.

The DoubleTree Club Hotel is close to John Wayne Airport in Orange County, making it a relatively short drive to Disneyland and other Southland attractions, but not right in the middle of the craziness. That’s primarily why it appealed to me for a last-minute trip to the Magic Kingdom.

The living area of the Balboa Suite
However, while the property’s location is one of its positive attributes, it is also a negative. Though close to a couple of major freeways (I-405 and the 55), it’s in an area that is primarily office and industrial space. That means the weekends can be pretty quiet, and it also means there aren’t many restaurants nearby. There is the usual retinue of fast food and strip mall restaurants but the choices are relatively few.

Balboa Suite Sleeping Room

The AAA rate on HiltonHHonors.com was quite good, and the benefits of booking Hilton properties through the Hilton web site often include very reasonable upgrades. Depending on the level one has obtained in the HiltonHHonors program, upgrades can be requested for a very nominal reasonable – or NO – fee. My Diamond status snared me a “corner room” -- The Balboa Suite, Room 633 - for no additional cost! As you can see from the pictures, the “corner room” was more accurately described as a “suite”.

If you’re able to take advantage of upgrades, I definitely recommend looking into the DoubleTree Club Hotel if you need to be in Orange County. Otherwise, I don’t believe you’ll be disappointed. But don’t expect to be overly impressed either.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have used hotwire.com several times to book a room at this hotel. At $49/night it is a steal if you just want a place to sleep.

The rooms are nice and clean and check-in is fast and efficient. The last time I stayed there I messed up and arrived a day earlier than my hotwire reservation called for. The manager was nice enough to switch my reservation around although the reservation issue was clearly my own fault.

The hotel is located in a large office park, which empties out at night. The place is almost deserted on weekends, which serves me just fine.

I have not eaten at the hotel restaurant, but....the menu looks somewhat "basic". There are not too many, if any, other eating establishments within easy walking distance. However, Orange County's biggest shopping mall....with numerous places to eat is within easy driving distance.

Parking used to be free at this hotel, which suited me fine as I usually stay on weekends. Self parking is now $11/night, which I don't like...!!!

The parking lot has not gotten any bigger. In my estimation, the tripadvisor complaints about parking has just resulted in an overnight stay getting $11.00 more expensive.

If parking was still free, I would rate this Doubletree a "five". Because of the parking charges I'll only give it a "four".

PS: There is another Doubletree nearby. It is rated a little higher, and costs $10/15 a night more on hotwire.com. However, it charges even more for parking....!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Marana, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I found this hotel on Priceline when I was looking for a pre-cruise hotel stay not too far from Long Beach. It is a Hilton property and I was very pleased with the room and would stay here again. They heard everyone's complaints about the parking so they contracted out with valet parking for those that get there late. We didn't have a problem getting a parking spot but when we woke up the next day, we saw cars parked in every nook & cranny possible. Self-park is $11/day and valet park is $13/day. It used to be free but since they got complaints they subcontracted it out. You pay an extra couple bucks to the valet if you get there late.

Our room was clean, large, flat screen tv, had a view of the pond/lake out front and close to the freeway. At $45/day plus $11 parking on priceline bid, I certainly can't complain. The motel 6 was $70 so I was very pleased. Plus it came with a full hot breakfast buffet for the two of us with eggs, bacon, pancakes etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!