“Nice Hotel....at a good price.” 4 of 5 stars

Business Package
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Santa Ana
GreenLeadersBronze level
Costa Mesa, California
“Nice Hotel....at a good price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have used hotwire.com several times to book a room at this hotel. At $49/night it is a steal if you just want a place to sleep.

The rooms are nice and clean and check-in is fast and efficient. The last time I stayed there I messed up and arrived a day earlier than my hotwire reservation called for. The manager was nice enough to switch my reservation around although the reservation issue was clearly my own fault.

The hotel is located in a large office park, which empties out at night. The place is almost deserted on weekends, which serves me just fine.

I have not eaten at the hotel restaurant, but....the menu looks somewhat "basic". There are not too many, if any, other eating establishments within easy walking distance. However, Orange County's biggest shopping mall....with numerous places to eat is within easy driving distance.

Parking used to be free at this hotel, which suited me fine as I usually stay on weekends. Self parking is now $11/night, which I don't like...!!!

The parking lot has not gotten any bigger. In my estimation, the tripadvisor complaints about parking has just resulted in an overnight stay getting $11.00 more expensive.

If parking was still free, I would rate this Doubletree a "five". Because of the parking charges I'll only give it a "four".

PS: There is another Doubletree nearby. It is rated a little higher, and costs $10/15 a night more on hotwire.com. However, it charges even more for parking....!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Marana, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I found this hotel on Priceline when I was looking for a pre-cruise hotel stay not too far from Long Beach. It is a Hilton property and I was very pleased with the room and would stay here again. They heard everyone's complaints about the parking so they contracted out with valet parking for those that get there late. We didn't have a problem getting a parking spot but when we woke up the next day, we saw cars parked in every nook & cranny possible. Self-park is $11/day and valet park is $13/day. It used to be free but since they got complaints they subcontracted it out. You pay an extra couple bucks to the valet if you get there late.

Our room was clean, large, flat screen tv, had a view of the pond/lake out front and close to the freeway. At $45/day plus $11 parking on priceline bid, I certainly can't complain. The motel 6 was $70 so I was very pleased. Plus it came with a full hot breakfast buffet for the two of us with eggs, bacon, pancakes etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Moody, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We would not stay here again, the hotel is nice but the issue with parking is enough to say do not stay again. Once the parking lot is full ( valet parking pretty much is the only way you get to park here) you have to use an over-flow parking parkade several blocks away, dark and out of the way.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Having stayed at the nearby Doubletree, I had thought this property might be similar. Not. It has the feel of a drab Holiday Inn with the smell of stale smoke pervading the rooms. I was moved twice (first put in a smoking room. Second put in a room that faced the freeway) and finally put in a room that was acceptable for my two-night stay. As a Hilton Diamond member, it seemed unnecessary to have to go through such inconvenience had they read my profile preferences in the slightest. The room I am in is supposedly a non-smoking room on the 2nd floor. It is painted the color of baby dung, with stained carpeting and a pervasive odor of staleness. The bathtub faucet leaks and is stained from long-term oversight. The bathroom pocket door has grimy fingerprints reminiscent of a seedy New York tenement. The front door rattles all night as it is ill-fit to the jam. The back security door at the bottom of the stairwell has been unlocked or wide open since I arrived, allowing anyone free access to the room hallways at any time. Be careful about where they put you, as the 55 freeway insures constant traffic noise if you are on two sides of this dated building. Parking is so limited that they force people to valet park if their occupancy is high. The saving grace of my room is the lovely man-made duck pond that was built as part of the adjoining Hutton Centre develpment. it includes a great walkway for walking or jogging. Other than that, there is simply nothing to recommend about this property. It needs to be gutted and redone. The "bones" are there and the location is convenient for business in central Orange County. Luckily, there are several other properties within this price range that are much better choices.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Big Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I needed a property near Orange County Airport that had a shuttle and wouldn't wear the numbers off my credit card. In the baggage claim area I noticed they have kiosks which directly connect you to local hotels for shuttle service, well sort of, only three hotels were listed and the Doubletree was not one of them. Once I dug the number out and called the hotel they picked me out in about 15 minutes. Front desk staff was very nice and pointed out the restaurant/lounge area, explained how the types and hours of meal service. Room was what I expected, clean and updated. My room faced the 55, but the road noise was not noticable. The staff at the restaurant were attentive and it seemed to me that many of the guest were regulars and there was always lively conversation in the lounge. Internet worked fine, they have a nice business center also. The one downside to this property is the parking. The lot is small for a hotel and the surrounding office towers make parking a premium BUT the fact that you don't have the option to self park, and the valet rate they charge will be high, would influence my decision to stay here if I had a rental car. The valet's even gave my coworker a hard time when he came to pick me up in the morning. I would hope a great property would not stake its reputation on their parking shortcomings.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I am a filmmaker who travels with specialized and expensive electronics equipment. I had to attend an event at this hotel and was not afforded an opportunity to self-park my car and retain the keys to my vehicle. The valet manager insisted that I would have to let the valet park the car, or park a block away in a retail area and walk to the hotel in the dark on a nearly deserted walkway around a man made lake.

I could not explain to the valet that I had this equipment because I am concerned with the security of my gear. But, I feel others who travel with expensive merchandise or equipment would also be opposed to giving their keys to a valet.

I have attended a monthly meeting at this hotel for a very long time. This is a very new policy. I hope the management re-thinks this policy and gives guests an opportunity to self-park when they object to giving up their keys.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco Bay area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We enjoyed the 3 night stay at the Doubletree Club Orange County Airport. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. The housekeeping was good. We did have an issue with the sofabed not having clean bedding, but when we called the problem was quickly rectified with a housekeeper quickly making up the sofabed with all new bedding. We liked the location and we were able to take advantage of the "Make my weekend" special that included a nice breakfast buffet. The room AC/fan is a little noisy but we didn't need to use it much. Note: Our parking was free, but they will be charging $11/night self parking starting Nov. 1. Unfortunately It seems like all the hotels are doing this now. The current free parking did influence our decision to stay here though. Lastly the pretty lake in front of the hotel is really nice and there is even a duck food dispenser with which you can feed all the different kinds of ducks there. We actually really had fun doing this.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!