“Love This Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Santa Ana
Malad City, Idaho
“Love This Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times before. We are always pleased with the quality of sleep we get, the friendly employees, the Excellent grounds and Appearance of the property, the spacious rooms, breakfast and indoor/outdoor eating area. It has a very nice pool and hot tub area. It is an easy on/off freeway location and close to SNA/Orange County Airport. The prices are very fair.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

You get what you pay for. This place is old, and stale. The free breakfast wasn't that great, so we ended up going to get food else where. The A/C units leak water all over the walk ways. The doors to the rooms open to the outside. The parking lot was full of potholes etc etc. You can get better for the same money else where.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Camarillo, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was one of the worst places I have stayed in years! I booked through one of the popular low price booking sites that assigns you a hotel. All of the other brands they listed were great...and I got this place. I will start with the staff's unwillingness to accommodate my request for twin double beds in my rooms. When I called on the phone after booking, they did not want to do it because I did not book direct with them. They suggested I ask when I arrive, which I did. After asking for the rooms, there was some some discussion between the clerk and the manager. The manager mentioned the name of the booking company and proceeded to speak in Spanish to the clerk. I was offended by that as I felt they were trying to hide something. Sorry, I don't speak Spanish...never will! Eventually they relented and gave me the rooms I requested. But the joy didn't last long.

One of the rooms was fine. My kids stayed in that room. The room I was in smelled musty and stale. I went to open the window to air it out and surprisingly, there were no screens. So I would just have an open window that anything could come in through. Next I tried the TV. Nothing. Checked the power, still nothing. I called the front desk and they sent someone over who said he was "new" and he couldn't run it on either. So, I asked for a different room. The clerk gave me new keys to a room that had one king bed and a sofa bed. Since they had no more double bed rooms (or at least that is what they told me) I agreed to take it. Upon entering that room I was overwhelmed by the smell of what seemed to be a combination of cigar, cigarette and marijuana smoke. This is a non-smoking room and it was really bad. So, again, I opened the window (no screen) hoping to air it out. I would have requested another room but we were running late for a concert and had to unpack and get ready. Since I had spent time dealing with the first room I had to get ready and go. When we left I closed the window and turned the AC on full hoping it would help the smell by the time we returned.

We returned about 1:30am. When I entered the room the smell was just as bad as before. Given the time and how tired we were I did not want to deal with changing to yet another room at that time. So we pinched our noses and went to sleep.

The next morning as we prepared to leave we showered and noticed that the shower/ bathtub drain wasn't doing it's job. After the second shower I was ankle deep in water. In addition, there was only one bar of soap to share between the sink and shower and no shampoo at all in the room. Luckily my friend had brought some.

While the room appeared to be nice at first glance, it really wasn't that great. I have stayed in much better rooms for far less than I paid for this. As you can see in the photos, the bathroom fan was literally hanging from the ceiling. The toilet was totally out of whack and disgusting. The shower issue is evident and I'm not quite sure what they are going for with the cheesy shower curtains that look like they have been there for untold years.

All in all, if I could, I would rate this place an absolute zero! It looks as if they took an old, worn out motel, slapped a coat of paint on it and renamed it something kind of fancy without doing any repairs or upgrades. It was a waste of money and a real negative to our trip. I will never stay at this hotel or a La Quinta again.

Room Tip: If you MUST go here, do not let them give you room 221!!! Make sure that everything is how you like...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stay in a La Quinta brand hotel and it certainly won't be our last. We chose La Quinta for their pet policy - they don't charge any pet fees. Our stay was comfortable and extremely pleasant. This hotel is nestled among several other nice looking hotel properties (on a street called "Hotel Terrace") and we felt very safe here. The room was very spacious and had a micro-fridge and separate sink area, almost like a mini kitchen. The bed was one of the best we've had in a hotel. Room was clean but there were several worn spots on the carpet, not a big deal. We are looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed August 2013
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was frustrated by a blind booking engine that placed me here as I do not think that this property is a 3.0 star EVER.

That being said -- I consider a star system on the basis of Luxuries and not cleanliness -- but it seems in modern parlance - it is meant to reflect good vs. bad or clean vs. dirty.

All said - this property was surprisingly tolerable. The bed was small but acceptable. The open area of the room nice and a large refrigerator. It was clearly a refinished room - I cannot speak for other rooms.

Prior reviews had my caution flags up for this property. Persons has references poor staffing, safety concerns, limited parking, etc. For my experience, the Staff were extremely polite at check-in and sufficiently polite at check-out.

The 1st floor room was not in a position near the pool that some might desire - but for us it constituted more noise and more limited privacy

Parking is tight at night which ads to stress -however the front desk re-assured me that it was not fully booked and that it would not likely be an issue --- Did I change my plans for my hotel? Yes I did. I came back earlier to avoid a potential parking issue.

In any case - I think its an acceptable 2.5 --- but that it should never be classified as a 3.0

Also - skip the free breakfast. Its free for a reason and a stretch to call it breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I'm delighted to be writing this review. I appreciated the intelligent design of the room and the courteous service. The placement of the refrigerator, sink, and microwave oven is exactly what I would want for a stay away from home. The hotel is located walking distance from a good restraunt and I found the spa relaxing at the end of day. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Orange County - Santa Ana? Share your experiences!