“FAVE FAVE Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Fresno
“FAVE FAVE Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

Being a local gal, I am always on the lookout for good places to enjoy a meal. I was visting this little in and around the area town and happened upon Fermin's.
As my friend and I entered we were greeted warmly and professionally by the hostess and were seated immediately. The decor is relaxed, comfortable, with a touch of class and under-stated sophistication. The tables are covered in crisp white linen tableclothes and the colorful cloth napkins are folded tastefully. The lighting is subdued, and the old world effect on the walls is very soothing to the eyes. This is the kind of place where you pop in wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt or you can dress it up a little bit for dinner and feel comfortable either way.
As we looked over the menu.......many items described seemed delicious......my friend chose the prime rib and I picked the pepper encrusted steak. We were offered the wine list and we chose a house white zinfandel and a merlot.
Our dinners arrived within minutes....the prime rib aroma wafted across the table at me and it was wonderful. My pepper steak had a wonderful cracked pepper aroma......the sauteed veggies glistened.....they were crunchy and colorful. The generous portion of garlic mashed potatoes was smooth, but not overpowered by the garlic.
The wait staff was courteous, professional and each wore a wonderful smile each time they approached our table to check in on us. When we had a request they were prompt in attending to our requests....with a smile.
We decided to have dessert and it was warm and gooey and filling!!
Towards the end of our meal, the owner, Fermin came over to our table and introduced himself and wanted to know if he could be of service and asked about our experience. Of course, we were flattered that he would come out to greet us and we shared w/him that it had been a wonderful meal and that we would definitely be coming back!!!!.
And we have been back......many times now....and it has become a favorite...the favorite......this little treasure, right in my own back yard. It is too good to keep to myself as much as I would like to....... I just had to share our great dining experience in this little jewel of a place!!! I have told all my good close friends about Fermin's.
As a matter of fact, I'm dining there tonight!!!!
Treat yourself..........visit Fermin's....you WILL NOT be disappointed.
Jayne

87% Recommend
Sunnyvale, CA
“A truly unexpected pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

On Friday Dec 15, 2006- my friend and I visited Sanger regarding business and found out that Sanger's City Offices are closed on Friday. This was not a problem as we were there to take a look at a piece of property and went on to do so...

We had walked around downtown- to the city hall, police dept., and the library and were on our way back to the car -not having really talked to anyone- when we passed a restaurant that was closed. I found the inside decor inviting and in comparison to much of the area, rather classy. I had my face pressed to the window when a man asked if we would like a menu.

This man led us inside the closed restaurant and gave us a copy of his lunch and dinner menus. Later.. in our car, as I read over the menus, we were pleasantly surprised by the variety and abundance of choices on the menus.

As fate would have it, we had a lunch date with an associate in Fresno but we were running late. When we called him to let him know that we were still in Sanger he offered to meet us there for lunch and of course we recommended Fermin's as we were anxious to try it. The food and service were excellent. My only complaint was it is a large place and we were the first ones there for lunch and the building was rather cool. I am sure it warms up as it fills up and several people came in while we were dining.

The three of us dined on burgers, salads, soup, and ravioli. We were all pleased by our choices and the generous portions. I asked the waitperson who the man would have been who welcomed us earlier in the day and gave us the menu's, she said it was the owner. I would like to thank him for being a one man welcoming service for Sanger. He not only made us feel welcomed but over the next year when we are in Sanger (which will be a lot) we intend to use Fermin's as our personal restaurant and we liked their private dining room and see it as an excellent place to have business lunches and dinners.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Exquisite food & wine in the least expected place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

Our family had spent the day at King's Canyon (about 1 hour from this restaurant) and we needed to restock for the next day's journey. So we popped-in to Sanger and thought we'd give this place a "shot". WOW! We were all amazed at the high quality of food and service that this quaint little restaurant offered. They cater to children with a kid's menu (avg $5 per plate), free drink refills, coloring page, and crayons. That kept the kids very content and they liked everything on the menu (always a plus).

Now for the grown-up stuff....The dinner selections were quite varied and averaged in the $13-20 range. They even had a decent selection of fresh seafood (3-4 items). All meals included soup or salad and bread (all delicious) and appeared within 2 minutes of completing our order. I ordered the NY steak spinach salad which was delicious and very refreshing after surviving 85-100 degree weather. My husband ordered the small rack of pork ribs and was equally pleased and satisfied.

They have an impressive wine list that made me envious (I wanted to try most of them). You can tell that the owner has a discriminating palate and has thoroughly tested California wines. There are some international wines available as well, but, being a native (and a snob for local wines) I strongly recommend trying anything on his California wine list. The house wine was an excellent choice from Modesto.

Finally, I can't say enough about the excellent service! The waitresses were so friendly (not too friendly) and always right were they should be whenever we needed them. I offered my compliments to the chef/owner and he quickly appeared in person (such a classy thing to do). Everything was very clean, the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. It's an upscale style with a laid-back attitude. We went as we were in shorts and sneakers and never felt awkward.