“Exquisite food & wine in the least expected place!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 39 restaurants in Sanger
Cuisines: Steakhouse
A TripAdvisor Member
“Exquisite food & wine in the least expected place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

Our family had spent the day at King's Canyon (about 1 hour from this restaurant) and we needed to restock for the next day's journey. So we popped-in to Sanger and thought we'd give this place a "shot". WOW! We were all amazed at the high quality of food and service that this quaint little restaurant offered. They cater to children with a kid's menu (avg $5 per plate), free drink refills, coloring page, and crayons. That kept the kids very content and they liked everything on the menu (always a plus).

Now for the grown-up stuff....The dinner selections were quite varied and averaged in the $13-20 range. They even had a decent selection of fresh seafood (3-4 items). All meals included soup or salad and bread (all delicious) and appeared within 2 minutes of completing our order. I ordered the NY steak spinach salad which was delicious and very refreshing after surviving 85-100 degree weather. My husband ordered the small rack of pork ribs and was equally pleased and satisfied.

They have an impressive wine list that made me envious (I wanted to try most of them). You can tell that the owner has a discriminating palate and has thoroughly tested California wines. There are some international wines available as well, but, being a native (and a snob for local wines) I strongly recommend trying anything on his California wine list. The house wine was an excellent choice from Modesto.

Finally, I can't say enough about the excellent service! The waitresses were so friendly (not too friendly) and always right were they should be whenever we needed them. I offered my compliments to the chef/owner and he quickly appeared in person (such a classy thing to do). Everything was very clean, the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. It's an upscale style with a laid-back attitude. We went as we were in shorts and sneakers and never felt awkward.

87% Recommend