“Historically FAB!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Sanger
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a country school house established in 1921, just north of Reedley and east of Sanger, School House Restaurant & Tavern offers vast array of experiences unlike any other. Watch the game in our country roadside tavern, dinner in our historical dining room a view of the kitchen, or the outdoor fire lounge patio looking out to our gardens at the base of the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The food represents a modern approach to classic dishes we all crave, with a focus on farm fresh, local ingredients. Our service staff is knowledgeable and attentive, yet relaxed and friendly. School House offers an extraordinary dining experience that's not just about food and drink, it's about creating lasting memories.
“Historically FAB!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ok…Do not LISTEN to the negative reviews for this place. No place can be perfect and people have bad days…But I literally have been to this restaurant over twenty times and never ONCE had poor service! The food is phenomenal here and it is unexpected because of its rural location. Country folk eat fancy too!!! The food is sophisticated but still delicious and the portions are quite nice. The great thing about this place is that you can be casual or dressed up and still enjoy your experience here. It does get very packed on the weekends so don’t be in a hurry, just enjoy your time with family and friends. I would definitely recommend the Sunday brunch (The sausage breakfast pizza is TO DIE FOR!) The service is very good and the building is very historic and cool. If the weather is right, go and check out the outside patio, talk about COOL!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukie, Oregon
“We won't be back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place sucked! Upon being seated the waitress stopped by and announced she was very busy and would be back in 5-10 minutes. Then, apparently, getting the right drink order from the bar to the table was too much to expect. Who knew the restaurant's philosophy is to seat the loud, drunk guy in the center of the dinning room and then let him disrupt everyone's dinner. Overall so NOT worth the drive.
P.S. If the drunk guy's $200 bill that you "accidentally" charged to my credit card shows up on my next statement, you will be hearing from my attorney...Bon appetite

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, Ca
“Quaint old School house turned into restaurant and bar.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

It was a bit of a drive from my home in Fresno, but worth it! We were served appetizers at a Chamber of Commerce mixer. Chicken on a skewer, figs and goat cheese, and something with a mushroom pate' (I'm not wild about mushrooms). Quite good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California
“Pricey and worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I dined here a couple months back, we are locals and only live a few miles from the restaurant.
1) gives Flemings and Ruth Chris a run for their money!
2) each bite was rich- decadent
3) great atmosphere
4) Bar- great space with a gorgeous bar top. Yes, I am talking about the actual counter at the bar. They worked with the local community college to design an entire bar top from 1 single tree. 5) the History! This place is a old School house- photos still on the walls proving so.

We shared a Lamb appetizer- delish! A Steak and Pasta entre---yum! and of course dessert.
Now..if you want a quick meal- I'd suggest another venue! This is quality dining, no rushing through dinner. But I am sure if you mentioned to your wait-staff- they would accommodate and move a tad quicker.
We do have a toddler- and this is a place that I would not bring him.... I want to enjoy my relaxing (expensive, but worth it) dinner... babysitter- check!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reedley, California
“We were faithful regulars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were faithful weekly regulars at the School House since they opened in February. The service has ranged from very good/exceptional to mediocre. On a good evening we could enjoy a salad, entree, dessert, and glass of wine in just over an hour. On a bad day the same meal may take in excess of two hours. The food for the most part is very good/excellent. The filets and New York steaks are exceptional and delicious. Had to send a couple of entrees back for being very cold. From one week to the next, our entree went from $32 to $36, it would have been nice if the server had told us. While we are not cheap, $125 for dinner for two is not practical. I agree with one of the reviewers, the Schoolhouse has issues, hopefully they will resolve them. Be advised, review your bill before paying. Like I said "We were faithful regulars". We will be spending the $4,000 we spent at the Schoolhouse at other Valley establishments.

• Visited November 2012