“Quaint old School house turned into restaurant and bar.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 39 restaurants in Sanger
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a country school house established in 1921, just north of Reedley and east of Sanger, School House Restaurant & Tavern offers vast array of experiences unlike any other. Watch the game in our country roadside tavern, dinner in our historical dining room a view of the kitchen, or the outdoor fire lounge patio looking out to our gardens at the base of the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The food represents a modern approach to classic dishes we all crave, with a focus on farm fresh, local ingredients. Our service staff is knowledgeable and attentive, yet relaxed and friendly. School House offers an extraordinary dining experience that's not just about food and drink, it's about creating lasting memories.
Fresno, Ca
“Quaint old School house turned into restaurant and bar.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

It was a bit of a drive from my home in Fresno, but worth it! We were served appetizers at a Chamber of Commerce mixer. Chicken on a skewer, figs and goat cheese, and something with a mushroom pate' (I'm not wild about mushrooms). Quite good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Fresno, California
“Pricey and worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I dined here a couple months back, we are locals and only live a few miles from the restaurant.
1) gives Flemings and Ruth Chris a run for their money!
2) each bite was rich- decadent
3) great atmosphere
4) Bar- great space with a gorgeous bar top. Yes, I am talking about the actual counter at the bar. They worked with the local community college to design an entire bar top from 1 single tree. 5) the History! This place is a old School house- photos still on the walls proving so.

We shared a Lamb appetizer- delish! A Steak and Pasta entre---yum! and of course dessert.
Now..if you want a quick meal- I'd suggest another venue! This is quality dining, no rushing through dinner. But I am sure if you mentioned to your wait-staff- they would accommodate and move a tad quicker.
We do have a toddler- and this is a place that I would not bring him.... I want to enjoy my relaxing (expensive, but worth it) dinner... babysitter- check!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reedley, California
“We were faithful regulars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were faithful weekly regulars at the School House since they opened in February. The service has ranged from very good/exceptional to mediocre. On a good evening we could enjoy a salad, entree, dessert, and glass of wine in just over an hour. On a bad day the same meal may take in excess of two hours. The food for the most part is very good/excellent. The filets and New York steaks are exceptional and delicious. Had to send a couple of entrees back for being very cold. From one week to the next, our entree went from $32 to $36, it would have been nice if the server had told us. While we are not cheap, $125 for dinner for two is not practical. I agree with one of the reviewers, the Schoolhouse has issues, hopefully they will resolve them. Be advised, review your bill before paying. Like I said "We were faithful regulars". We will be spending the $4,000 we spent at the Schoolhouse at other Valley establishments.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Clovis, California
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The greeter station welcomes you and the wait staff are very accommodating and friendly. We have dined during the opening week and several times thereafter. The chef does an amazing job and we often feel like we are in Napa or Sonoma with the wonderful selections. We are so happy to recommend this restaurant with fine food and wonderful staff. You always feel welcome and we love every entree we have tried. If you are looking for a wonderful place with charm and yet the cuisine of fine dining, The School House is a must,

• Visited September 2012
Clovis, California
“Charming space and amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have had the chance to dine here multiple times, and each time I have been thrilled with the experience. The building is beautiful and quite charming. The bar is a perfect spot to get a drink and dinner next to the wood stove. There are TV's but the sound is not on and you are able to have conversations without yelling. The dinning room is also nice without excessive noise. The food is amazing. Listen to your servers. They make great recommendations of both food and wine. The chef can be seen greeting guests and discussing wines and dishes on occasion. I noticed a few reviews discussing timing and portions. I strongly disagree about portion size. The portions were perfect, and I have never left hungry. This is not a chain. They are not heaping the plates with mounds of over cooked pasta. Dishes are well thought out and plated nicely. I liked that I have never felt rushed in an effort to turn a table. The meals have always had a nice pace to them with time to enjoy our wine, salads/soups and entrees. Take the drive out there and enjoy a place that is perfect for hanging with friends in the bar or "date night". I think you will be pleased!

• Visited November 2012