“Great Place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Simeon

You added Motel 6 San Simeon to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Simeon
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9070 Castillo Drive, SR 1/Cabrillo Highway at Vista Del Mar exit, San Simeon, CA 93452   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
CANOGA PARK
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I was really surprised with this motel. I was just in town for one night while visiting Hearst Castle so I opted to stay at the Motel 6 as it was the most inexpensive option and I know they allow pets without having to pay a fee. This was one of the nicest experiences I've had staying at a motel 6 (and I've stayed at many all throughout the country). The room I had was large, very clean, check in and out was very quick, and wifi was free (most motel 6's charge 3-5 bucks a day for internet). There was plenty of parking, the swimming pool even looked nice although I didn't use it as it was a little too cold for swimming during my stay. The only complaint I had was there were no electrical outlets near the bed to charge my phone and laptop over night, but that's just a minor issue, not a big deal. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed 2 nights in a “modern, micfridge” room with 2 queen beds. The room was nice enough, with laminate wood flooring (which feels cleaner than typical, lower end rooms with carpeting). There was a vanity with 3 drawers, 2 open shelves, enough sitting room in between for 2 people, and a long top with a 32” LCD screen -- but otherwise empty, providing a lot of room to place items and/or work. There was also a small table and 2 chairs. I found the bed comfortable, but my spouse thought it was lumpy (perhaps our sides were different). The mini-fridge (with NO freezer at all) made some noise, but it was about the same as most. The floors and walls seemed to be reasonably solid and therefore, quiet – we didn’t hear any talk from nearby rooms. Water from an adjoining room’s shower was quite audible, however. Our second floor room window faced the parking lot, so street noise was not an issue. The toilet uses one of those atomic-powered flushing systems, so when you flush it, it sounds like a rocket going off. Be prepared.

Wifi is now FREE. Their website still claims it cost $2.99/day, but they now have a code they give (two, actually – one per device) that pays for the charge (it lasts only 24 hours, so you’ll need to get more if you stay multiple nights). However, the connection is open (not encrypted), so user beware. It was somewhat slow as well, but still usable for non-video streaming use.

There were no facial tissues (aka Kleenexes) in the room, and the soap provided was small and thin (one of the two pieces, still shrink-wrapped, had already been split in two). There seemed to be plenty of hot water, but the shower has a low flow showerhead which provides a very fine (ticklish) spray. Still, I’ve had a lot worse. Everything seemed clean and fairly new, so that was nice.

You can look back at my previous motel reviews. I am not picky about the taste of water; I don’t think I’ve ever complained about it before. Water to me typically is odorless and tasteless. The water in this room was neither (and not in a good way). I could not drink it, and didn’t even like to use it to rinse my mouth after brushing. Bottled water to the rescue.

That may seem to be a lot of complaints for a 4* review, but it’s all relative. For the area and the price paid, there did not seem to be better choices. I’d usually give 3* at best for a place at this price point (we paid an average of $110 for Friday & Saturday nights) with so few amenities (or cheap ones, like the thin linens and soap). However given what I’ve read about the alternatives, this still seems like a good choice. Staff was helpful and friendly both over the phone and in person. We’d come again if we were in the area.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Southern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First time staying at a Motel 6, and it was a pleasant experience. We stayed two nights for our visit to Hearst Castle and the surrounding area. Our room is modern with hardwood floors, but the public areas look outdated. Our large room had two comfy queen beds, TV with HBO, microwave and mini fridge. Ample desk space and a table with two chairs. The bathroom has towels and soap.

If you've stayed at a higher end hotel, be prepared to stay at a basic motel. The bathroom had soap, but there was no shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided. A hair dryer isn't provided also, but you can request one sent to your room. Towels are thin so you may want to bring your own towels from home.

There's a restaurant on-site, which served good food at a reasonable price. They didn't have a kids' menu but our kids like the food from the main menu anyway.

We got free wi-fi during our stay. M6 normally charges for wi-fi but since it was very spotty, the staff didn't charge us.

This is a budget hotel which can bring up negative associations. But this M6 is really a good value for a clean room, nice and accommodating staff, quiet area, and it's not far from Hearst Castle.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Ventura, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After having a terrible stay at a different Motel 6 on our same road trip, I was hesitant about going to this one. But this hotel and the previous one were night and day! The front desk staff were very welcoming to us and our dog (we booked this especially for the dog friendly hotel on a budget). We were able to get a room with a pool view and felt safe and comfortable for our trip. I wish the hotels had hair dryers though, but we made do. The towels are not inviting, but we had brought our own supplies. The beds were comfortable, the television was fine, and we had enough blankets. The essentials were all there, and that was all we needed. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is very nice, recently remodeled and some rooms have a partial ocean view. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is quite. There are many expensive rooms at the coast and the more affordable rooms, seem to have remained the same since 1985, not this hotel. Hardwood floors help with all the sand and updated bathroom feels more clean. The restaurant onsite has good pizza and a decent breakfast buffet. The staff is great and Derek, who checked us in made sure we got a room with a view and a great price after he heard we were in town for our engagement pictures. I have stayed in this hotel three times in the last year and will stay again.

Room Tip: Wifi was very slow
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was very happy with the accommodations at Motel 6. It is a dog friendly motel with clean rooms. Was really happy with the price and pet policy (no extra deposit/cleaning fee). Will use this motel if in the area again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Milford, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

Great staff great price great room and clean room we really enjoyed our stay we were really tired and the clerk worked quickly to get us to our room will stay here again the area is nice and we were told the area is great for whale watching

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 San Simeon? Share your experiences!