“Location, location, location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Simeon

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 San Simeon to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Simeon
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9070 Castillo Drive, SR 1/Cabrillo Highway at Vista Del Mar exit, San Simeon, CA 93452   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Southrn California
“Location, location, location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Originally a bit frustrated at having to book a room in San Simeon, an hour from my last-minute business trip in Pismo Beach, over the last weekend for many of summer-break & a record-breaking heatwave throughout much of Southern & Central California. Not so, after I pulled in and realized that this particular Motel 6 sits directly on California's beautiful Highway 1. When I commented on this to the check-in clerk (who was delightful and would have fit in nicely in any business class or resort environment) she promised my room would have a partial ocean-view, along with the potential of seeing some of Hurst Castle's herd of Zebra over the adjoining fence. The zebra did not opt to make an appearance, but the view turned out to be primarily ocean - a pleasant surprise.

Carpets were in need of replacement, but I suspect this is an ongoing problem with beach properties and many guests lack of courtesty and decorum. Typical signature Motel 6 lack of all the little extras, but an ocean-view room for $109/night far overshadowed the lack of the rest.

The area can not boast scenery as over-the-top-spectacular as its northern cousins, Big Sur, Carmel & Monterrey, but the strip of public beach & estuary closest to the motel are one of the loveliest I've had the pleasure of traversing anyplace else in the world. Cambria turned out to be only a three-mile drive - a charmingly quaint-though-touristy little town to the south.

I had previously only thought of San Simeon as a place to stay to see Hurst Castle, but now would not hesitate to recommend a stay at their Motel 6 as a great base for anyone on a budget wishing to experience some of the West Coast's loveliest beaches sans a sandy sleeping bag!

Room Tip: Ocean side for a generous partial view of the Pacific just across Hwy 1.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hamilton, on
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When my sister and I checked in at about 9:30 p.m., we found that our room had been used. The bed was messed up and there was a table pulled up to the powered-on TV with scraps of food left on a plate. We called the front desk and were given cards to another room,but unfortunately the manager didn't change us over in the computer, either then or the next morning, and our new room was not cleaned after we returned from a day of travelling. The explanation for the used room was that the cleaning staff had missed it, but my sister and I both thought it was used by a staff member. It's irrelevant really. We had to ask for a credit for the extremely bad service and were given a credit, but it really left us with a bad impression of this hotel.

The restaurant attached doesn't give great service if you don't choose to have the breakfast buffet and just want toast.

The area is really nice and very scenic. I would definitely visit the area again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here last night while traveling down the coast and stuck on Pacific Coast Highway which seems to never end. It was 11:00 PM when I checked in and the road had become very foggy, and I very tired after eleven hours of driving.

The motel clerk was friendly.

I was shocked first of all at the price I was charged of $75.00 for a single occupancy. When I arrived at the room it was clean, however the walls are very thin and I could hear two men talking next door and in the Hallway walking around until 3 AM.

At 8 AM in the morning, I started hearing pounding and hard yanking on what sounded like a door hinge and kid's talking loudly in the room next door. Then pounding continued for until 10 AM which sounded like a hammer.

The children and loud talking men in the next room over finally left at 10:30 AM and the pounding and children yelling stopped, however I could still here all kids of noise in the hallway, outside the room window which is aligned with the parking lot, etc.

It is the second to worse motel/hotel I have ever stayed in. I've been traveling for the past month and a half shooting a film production "Hiking with Randy" across the USA and staying only in Motel 6 and Studio 6's. All of the other Motel 6 locations were reasonably priced, constructed of sound dampening materials and several were better than more expensive hotels. However, this particular Motel 6 ranks at the very bottom. The noise level here is unacceptable... no one wants to be able to hear housecleaning through the walls of their motel as though they were in your room.

My goal of staying here was only to sleep and get sound rest since I am driving up to eleven hours a day, this was a rip-off. Even as I write this laying here in the bed of this motel on the $3.00 WIFI they charged for the internet, It's noisier than any motel or hotel I have stayed in over 40 years.

I recommend avoiding it. There are about six other motels and hotels next door to it that I now wish I had tried. Waste of my time and money.

Room Tip: There are no rooms here that I would recommend.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

We had called to make reservations, which the lady at the desk said we can check in at any time, we got there about 10am and she told us that they wouldn't have it ready for us until 2:30pm. That changed our plans but meanwhile, my husband and I got something to eat and headed to Hearts Castle. Got back about 2:40 and our room was still not ready but they offered us a room that was already cleaned. The room was very clean, got a good view of the ocean, and was able to take a good nap after our Castle visit. The room does get chilly at night but the heater there works pretty good and fast, does not make at much noise as people say it does. There was not too much noise from people at night other than you can hear when doors from other rooms open and close, other than that, this is a great motel to stay at and I will be staying here again for our next visit. :-) I DO NOT recommend the resturant/buffet here, HORRIBLE service. Go to Sabastian's instead GREAT food and price there!

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

The staff was friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were clean. The pool was sparkling. This is our fourth time here and we have never been disappointed. The attached restaurant has a breakfast buffet and a good dinner menu.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We found the room to be clean and beds were comfortable. The blankets were old and stiff and short for the bed. On a cold night, we wore our sweat shirts. There was not toilet seat lid. There was a sunflower seed next to the bed from the previous occupant that was never picked up for the 4 nights we stayed there. But for the price of $70/ night,( we did not get the $50) it was good value. The breakfast was a good deal at $6.99 for the area. I would give it 3.5 rating too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Beautiful Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Probably a little above average Motel 6 in a very convenient location for a visit to Hearst Castle. Room could have been vacuumed considerably better but bathroom and bedding were fine. Restaurant on site was pretty good. Internet was an additional cost but worked fairly well. Considered this a 3.5 property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 San Simeon? Share your experiences!