“GREAT STAY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
calif.
“GREAT STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

This is a great motel, can not say enough about our wonderfull stay at the cavalier resort. Very well run from a top notch staff that really cares about your stay to very well appointed rooms that are within a yards of the waves. Will be back next month and every chance we can!!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
west palm beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

I was initially apprehensive about staying here (my family can be a bit picky), but we really enjoyed the experience. The location is fantastic--beautiful scenery, great beach, close to Hearst castle, whales, and seals. We found the employees to be extremely helpful. The restaurant was very good. I think knowing what to expect is key--don't arrive expecting the luxury of the Ritz.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Fires outside made leaving windows/door open a bit smokey at night
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

We stayed here one Sunday night on our way to Hearst Castle. This is basically a well-kept older motor inn with outdoor corridors and sometimes intrusive outdoor noise. We had two queen beds which totally filled the room besides the small table with 2 chairs by the window. Not much room for a family of four to move around. The room was definitely clean and comfortably decorated. For the rate, I wish they would have included some type of Continental Breakfast as you are not close to anything , but their restaurant. We ordered a pizza from the next town and tried to get plates from the office. They told us to call room service, but we declined as were worried about a charge. The firepits near the water are a great idea, but they should have a sign discouraging saving of chairs. Families had placed all types of items on the chairs to save them until they were ready to come out. We were unable to use the fitness center as the opening hours were much later that most hotels - should open earlier. It is nice that it is on the water, but you could also walk across the street from the other hotels and enjoy the beach.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Cost, no breakfast, limited fitness hours
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

What a surprise!!! We were on Day 2 of our drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to Los Angeles. We were scheduled to stop in San Luis Obispo further south, but with so much stopping to take pictures (and driving reallly slow on the very winding and narrow US 1), this particular leg of the trip took longer than expected. Tired, but interested in taking the tour of the Hearst Castle the following day, we pulled into this Best Western at 6pm and hoped for the best. Not having a reservation we kept our fingers crossed that there would be a room available and to our delight, we were obliged with a second floor room with ocean view. Check-in was quick and the lady behind the desk was very helpful in letting us know all the services the hotel had to offer.
Never having stayed in a Best Western hotel before, we weren't sure what to expect. Well, we couldn't have been more pleased. The room was neat and clean with a balcony that looked straight out to the ocean. The pool/jacuzzi was right below our windows, and had it been warmer, it may have gotten a little noisy, but this being April and the temperature hovering at 60 degrees, the pool was empty and quiet. There were two fresh robes in the room to sink into and a great toletries basket to fresher up with (it even had nail polish remover pads which were just what I needed after two days of peeling laquer off my fingernails). The mini bar was chock full of drinks and snacks at completely reasonable prices. The coffeemaker also came in handy in the morning. All other regular amenities were available...ironing board, hair dryer, safe, extra pillow/blanker/towels. The tub was huge (unlike most newer hotel) so I was able to sink into a nice hot bath after dinner. There was even a pair of binoculars in the room to gaze out in the distance with. And what a treat to find a real fireplace in the room with synthetic wood logs to burn! The hotel leaves a little packet of starter fluid and newspaper in the fireplace, so it was very easy to get things going.
Once we settled in, we had a relaxing and tasty dinner in the Cavalier restaurant which had quite the expansive and reasonably priced menu. Wait staff was very attentive and the food was delicious. It was fun to look around the restaurant and guess how many others were doing the same road trip we were taking. At sunset the hotel lights a couple of bonfires on the beach and sets out chairs, so if you're with a group or just looking to socialize with other hotel guests, it's a delight. We chose instead to retreat back to our room and fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean crashing against the beach.
Check-out in the morning couldn't have been easier...the bill was on the doorknob and if everything was okay, all you had to do was leave the keys in the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quick stopover - our stay was totally unexpected but well worth the money!

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I do not have the words to describe the hotel. The view of the ocean, the room, the service of the employees. We spent only one night, but I believe that we could spend several days in this hotel with my fiancèe. I recommend it whoever to be in a warm and very pretty place. I recommend the room with ocean view and fireplace.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

Hotels rarely live up to great reviews. The Best Western Cavalier lived up to its rave reviews and then some. We checked in early about
noon. We had a rough drive from LA where we had gone to see a doctor.
The lady at the desk could not have been nicer, especially considering my grouchiness. We paid extra for a room on the beach. My wife said it was almost too close. The view of the wild ocean was amazing. The room itself was as nice as many 4 or 5 star hotels, and we have stayed in a few of those. The room was so good, we got room service. Also good mini bar. The hotel site is on the ocean side of the highway. The grounds are well kept. The staff friendly. We had a pleasant breakfast the next morning for $15.00. We will stay here again and have told our friends about it. The hotel and its staff turned an unpleasant day into a truly enjoyable one..We came there to see the Hearst Castle. We liked the hotel and our room so some, we bypassed the tour. We will be back.

Stayed April 2007
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

My friend and I were flying in to California from the east coast and decided to visit San Simeon in route to southern California. We stayed at the Cavalier on April 2nd and 3rd. We drove up from the airport at San Luis Obispo and decided to stop for lunch in Morro Bay. We asked in town and were told that Giovanni's was a good place to go-I am originally from New England and love good seafood that is reasonably priced and served in a very casual setting. I asked for a hot dog stand styled seafood place and Giovanni's fit the bill. We waited in line for more than an hour to place our order and then another 20 minutes or so to get our food, but it was worth the wait. The oysters, fish and squid were superb! We then continued north.
The landscape changed considerably the further north we got. Seeing the ocean along the roadway was wonderful.

I had called the hotel directly to make my reservation. I spoke with Christine. Originally we were only going to spend one night in San Simeon and then stay one night in Solvang. Her comment was "You will be sorry. If you can do it, 2 nights will be perfect." I thought about her comment and decided to take her advice. I cancelled the Solvang reservation and told her that we would like to stay for 2 nights at the Cavalier. She called me back a few minutes later asking
me if I was fond of Champagne. I told her that I really was not. She then offered red wine and I was delighted. She promised to have a
bottle sent to me room (it was my birthday). We got an ocean front room and soon after we arrived there was a knock on the door and a full bottle of wine (superb!) with wine glasses were delivered. The entire experience was wonderful. We stay on the ground floor and were
never disturbed by other guests either from above or those surrounding us. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was okay.
I am never fond of doors that open in and interfere with accessing the toilet (sometimes difficult to flush), but the marble tiles throughout were lovely. The shower had good water pressure. The hand soap at the sink was that wonderful glycerine that I adore! The fireplace was a nice touch but getting it started was difficult. We really needed more than one of the chemical packs that the hotel provided to ignite it. The "logs" provided are slices of chemical logs like the ones you would buy whole, only without the paper wrapping around them.

We never actually had the log slices ignite for any length of time.
We had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. Our food was delicious. The service was very pleasant and we thorooughly enjoyed the coffee. My friend, who is a coffee afficiando, asked for a cup to go. I fell asleep before the bonfires started (I was on eastern time) but my friend watched them from our room. The setup was very clever with seating provided around each of the three.

We were not far from the heated pool and hot tub. We thoroughly anjoyed the hot tub. We went to Hearst Castle and took Tour 1. We returned to the hotel to relax and then went back to the Visitor's Center to see the National Geographic movie on Hearst and the building of the castle (the movie is included with the cost of the tour). The hotel is only 3 miles or so from the castle so it is a very short drive. Then we drove north 6 or 7 miles to see the elephant seals along the beach. It was fascinating to watch them and see the other "watchers" respectful of seals.

We went to Cambria, a delightful little town a few minutes south of San Simeon to find a drugstore. It was about 8:15 in the morning and the pharmacy we found was not going to open until 9. We went next door to a lovely produce/fancy food store and bought a newspaper. We asked the cashier if the pharmacy typically opened on time. It was serendipity that the many behind us runs the drugstore a block away. He asked us what we needed and said that he would open his store for us. He did and we were grateful. I can't imagine that happening at home.

One more lovely touch at the hotel: there were paper towels outside of the rooms so that one could clean the car windows of the sea/salt residue. How thoughtful! We had a lovely 2 days in the area.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!