“Delightful Ocean Views” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Buffalo, NY
“Delightful Ocean Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Nice grounds by the hotel. We enjoyed sitting out by the outdoor fire in the evening and visiting with other guests. Also liked the fireplace in the room, so we could have our own fire.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Sayre, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Our room was very roomy and included 2 chairs by the working fireplace. There was a stocked bar as well as snacks available, all for a price of course! The evening bonfires on the cliff were a nice touch but it was too cold and windy the night we stayed to enjoy them. Just standing by the ocean, watching the sunset was awesome and in the morning we bundled up to stand on the cliffs again and enjoy the scenery. One drawback is no breakfast is served but with the room fridge, you can plan your own. A little overpriced for me w/o a meal but close to Hearst Castle. There are other hotels next door also on the ocean and they looked appealing so I would recommend checking prices and services, especially in the cooler weather when the oceanfront means little.

Southport, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western while visiting the Hearst Castle. The staff at the desk were very welcoming and helpful. The surprise was the ocean view from room 126, just a regular priced room. This room was at the end and couldn't have been nicer. The room was well equipped and very nicely furnished. After driving and touring all day we appreciated the comfy bed. The restaurant attached to the motel was very good, convenient, and reasonably priced if you don't want to leave the premises.

southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I stayed here for a get-away weekend, and I can't tell you how pleased I was by my room and the amenities. Rooms were super clean and very well stocked. The hotel staff will light a fire for you on the beach, overlooking the ocean, and it was just wonderful. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Apple Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My brother and I stayed only for 2 nights as part of a motocycle tour of this area of the central coast. I simply have to bring my wife back to this hotel. The location is beautiful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The price is right for being right on the beach. We arrived back from a long day's ride to find campfires on the beach. We sat out and warmed ourselves by the fire under a full moon. Too bad we didn't bring along some marshmallows! We were sad to leave so soon...but we'll be back.

As an aside, I left a book on the nightstand. When I called to inquire, the staff was happy to ship it to me. These folks are great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Williamsville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We had a fabulous one-night stay at the Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort. We picked this hotel based on the great TripAdvisor reviews and also it's close proximity to the Hearst Castle.

Check-in went fast and smooth. The receptionist quickly pointed out everything we needed to know for our stay and we were able to get into our room fast after a long day in the car. The room was quite large with two queen-sized beds. The room looked newly decorated and was immaculate.

There were two areas for the bathroom. The bathroom with toilet and tub/shower was very large with a heating lamp in the ceiling which I loved. The vanity area was part of the bedroom and this included a small refrigerator and also another refrigerator with things to buy, including small bottles of wine!

One nice touch that I loved was the small basket of amenities; extra stuff you normally don't expect like nail polish removers pads, facial pads, etc. I really enjoyed that touch as I really needed to take my polish off, but I didn't want to buy a large bottle of nail polish remover on vacation.

We didn't get to enjoy the beach and fire pit as much as I had hoped, but being on the beach was amazing. Watching the sun come down over the Pacific Ocean was simply gorgeous!

We did visit the motels restaurant and it was very good! We had breakfast there and we were their first customers of the day. Everyone was really nice to us and the food was pretty good.

We did see they had a nice swimming pool, but we didn't get a chance to use it.

Hearts Castle is an easy five minute drive away.

We had a wonderful stay and would definitely go back again if we were in the area!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Cavalier over the Labor Day weekend. Check-in was fast and friendly. We chose a room facing the ocean and it was well worth the extra money. This hotel is all about the amazing oceanside location. Each ocean facing room had either a little porch or balcony equipped with table and chairs perfect for relaxing and enjoying the gorgeous view. The area feels private and safe enough that we were comfortable keeping the sliding doors open to hear and smell the ocean late into the night. The hotel also provides binoculars in the room with which you can spot sea lions and birds, and a nice "welcome book" of information about the area's sights and dining options. Our room also had a fireplace and coffee/tea making facilities. As we threw open the sliding glass doors and started to get settled into the room, I noticed there were quite a few dogs staying at the hotel. I am a dog lover but severely allergic to the dander. Before we got completely unpacked, I thought I'd ask if there were pet-free rooms set aside for people with allergies. The man at the desk said that there were not, but that each room was thoroughly cleaned and that housekeeping could bring in an ionizer if I began to have trouble breathing. I'm pleased to report that I had absolutely no allergic or asthmatic symptoms, which is a real testament to their housekeeping. I had the added benefit of being able to watch all the joyful "dog guests" frolicking on the beach! The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom, though basic, was fine and spotlessly clean. The pool and whirlpool area faced the ocean, and was well kept. There is a small gym, but was empty during my stay as it seemed all the guests opted for beach walking . The firepits were lighted every night and seemed to be a gathering place for the guests to meet and talk over their travels. The hotel is located very near Hearst Castle. There are a couple of restaurants walking distance (we enjoyed the Mexican restaurant just steps down the road), and Cambria is a short drive away. We tried the hotel restaurant for breakfast and would not recommend it. Granted, it was Labor Day weekend and it was very crowded, so the staff were rushed and stressed. I had tepid oatmeal and my husband's veggie omelete contained only caulifower and broccoli. Yes, they are vegetables....but were not prepared with any regard to flavor. The guests who had the pancakes or French toast on the table seemed the happiest. I would advise driving into Cambria for breakfast if it's on your way. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to this area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!