“Guess I should have kept it a secret” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
San Bernardino, California
“Guess I should have kept it a secret”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The 1st time I reviewed this Best Western I said I wish I could keep it a secret. That was because it used to be cheaper to stay here. We had enough rewards points to get a free night here.However, your free night gets you a room in the older section. We did have a partial ocean view if you were at the window. The 1st time we stayed here it was in the older rooms but after that we were upgraded to stay in the newer rooms that have fireplaces and balconies or patios with complete ocean views. As I sat using the computer in the lobby I heard the staff quote prices on the rooms and they were very expensive. That is one reason we haven't stayed here for a while because the rooms were so expensive.We have always stayed here during the peak season but never paid as much as they charge now.I guess more and more people have found out that this is a good location.

The one thing that we like about this location is that it has fires in fire chimneys on the beach and they have lights so you can see the ocean at night. We sat in the chairs by the fire and met tourists from Norway, New York state and Missouri. We sat there for a long time talking and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The beach is nice to watch from benches or by walking on the beach. There is a restaurant on the property.They do not offer a Continental breakfast. It is only a few miles down the road to Cambria where there are restaurants and shops. Hearst Castle is just minutes away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Confortable, nice bed, large room, full of amenities, fireplace. Fair price but pay attention to the pet friendly rooms: they smell dogs! Unfortunatelly we didn't pay attention to that and the smell was terrible. I suggest the hotel to keep the pet friendly rooms without carpet. And maybe include a bigger warning about the allowance on the website avoiding this inconvenience. The restaurant is good. I recomend it.

Room Tip: If you don't travel with your pet, avoid the pet friendly room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We loved this hotel! After spending a few hours at the Hearst Castle we checked in at the Cavalier Resort for the night......what a view! Our room was comfortable and had an amazing view of the ocean, only wish it was warmer so we could have enjoyed the fire pits at sunset. We both slept like babies, woke up well rested and ready to continue our drive up the California Coast. The toiletry basket was chocked full of goodies and if your wanted a snack there was plenty of those as well (for a charge naturally) We ate dinner at the onsite restaurant and the food was pretty good and our server was terrific. I will definitely stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here as we were traveling the coast on my motorcycle, and just loved this hotel. It's in the middle of nowhere as the only thing in San Simeon is Hearst Castle, but that didn't matter. Between the ocean view room, the woodstove in the room, and the firepits outside, it is an excellent place to stay on the central coast. The staff was excellent, the beds were comfortable, the bathrooms were large, clean and nice, really I don't have enough nice things to stay about the place. Granted, the term resort may be a bit generous since all they have are a couple of tiny pools and firepits in the way of activities, but for a night, or maybe even a couple, I'd recommend this place in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Pay the money for an ocean view room.
Glendale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We spent two nights in the Terrace Section of this hotel and enjoyed ourselves greatly. We try to visit this location several times a year and are never disapointed. The Terrace Rooms are right on the water and the view is wonderful. We also enjoy the room service from the hotel restaurant. I know we will keep coming back year after year.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms 278-278 facing the water are the greatest!
Fairfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and included a locked mini bar and safe and big flat screen TV. The sink was stalked with standard shampoo, conditioner, lotion, but also nail polish remover, foot scrub, and a plethora of other items I don't bother to pack. In-room coffee and tea is also available. The hotel is on the beach and they have nightly bonfires, which we enjoyed after a late dinner at the on-site restraunt. The restraunt also provided excellent service. After dinner I stopped into the front desk to ask what time tours at Hearst Castle start. Reception recommended I purchase our tickets online at the lobby computer since they sell out early, so I did, and she was right because the morning tours were already sold out. That worked out for us though because it meant a leisurely breakfast and morning stroll on the beach. We headed out for Hearst visitor center an hour before our tour which was a perfect time to get there. We had time to use the restroom, pick up our tickets, watch the film and catch our bus up to Hearst Castle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Driving between San Fran to LA we stopped at San Simeon for a stay. We were welcomed by Savanah, she gave us a great rate. The room was very clean, and the bed were comfortable.
The restaurant on the property was very good the staff were very friendly and food was excellent
need a half way place to stop this is the place

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!