“Average 1 night stay on a road trip” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Room rate start at $79.99
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in San Simeon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Average 1 night stay on a road trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the Silver Surf on the second night of a road trip from LA to San Francisco. The whole experience was average compared to all other places we stayed in. The reception staff were young and not as friendly as others we experienced. Not that this is very important. The room was small for America and quite dark. There was a large tv but most channels had a poor reception. The walls were thin and we could clearly hear someone snoring in the room next door. The room was clean and there was a fridge. All that being said it did the job for what we needed and cost £69. There was also plenty of parking near the rooms. There isn't much in San Simeon other than hotels and a couple of restaurants but its an ideal starting point for a drive to Big Sur. One thing I would recommend to anyone staying here is heading over the road to the beach for the sunset. It was amazing. If you are here on a road trip call in at the Trading post convenience store 2 minutes away from the hotel. There's a sweet old lady in there that thinks the Beatles were from Manchester and they sell excellent maps of highway 1 showing some great places to stop.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is pretty nice. It's old, has not been remodeled, but has been taken care of well. With a little bit of creativity, the hotel owners could sell it as a retro / beachside inn.

I booked it because it was the cheapest hotel I could find online. There was free wifi that worked well. The check-in staff was cute and nice. The hot water, heater, and water pressure was all good. The old tube TV was the only retro thing that sucked, flat screens would be nice, but hey, this is the cheapest bet around!

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

It is a basic motel, nothing special but ok for an overnight. Room and bathroom were clean, bed slept very well. Quite surroundings, close to the beach and Hearst Castle. Would not spend my hole vacation there but one night is ok. It was cheap as well, only $50 (pre booked) and it was worth this price.

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We ended up staying at this pitiful motel more out of necessity than choice. We were caught in this city during the late hours of a car drive.

This motel was horrible. When we got to the hotel the woman at the front was quite rude to us. When we explained that we were going to check next door for the price she jacked the price up when we got back. She also was highly offended and didn't trust us when we requested to look at the room. She was so rude to us that she made the other clerk finish the transaction.

Next up was the room. When we searched the room there was blood stains on the sheets and old crackers on the floor. We could also hear everyone walking down the balcony and even people quietly talking in their rooms. The bed was also very uncomfortable.

We were so happy to get out of this crappy and overpriced hole. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012
Himley, South Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Well what can I can..... not much. Once you have been to the beach all you can do here is sleep. The pool is pointless (like a puddle in a small room) and I am glad I didnt go in. My boyfriend went in for a quick dip, when he got out he looked like hed been punched in both eyes the chlorine is so strong.
Good points: By the sounds of it we may have been one of the lucky few that got a clean room. The beds were nice and comfy and I did have a great nights sleep.
If we hadnt prebooked this place I would have driven straight past.... nothing special

Encinitas, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I don't expect much from a hotel besides a clean room and a good night's sleep. The room had BED BUGS! It seemed clean at first look, but as the night went on, I kept itching, and in the morning I saw huge welts on my arm, on my 21 month old child, and on the back of my husband's ear. Absolutely disgusting.

If that wasn't enough, the hotel checked in a very loud group of people right above us who basically kept us awake all night long by their partying and their passed out, drunken stupor of snoring.

Also, they have an indoor pool which my kids were excited about, but it had waaaaay to much chlorine in it and our eyes were stinging like crazy. Now that I'm back home, I can finally treat the GREEN hair that my daughter has, most likely from the ridiculous chlorine content in this pool. They also had broken chaise lounge chairs that almost caused injury when my children sat down on them. Here's an idea, get some new chairs!! That people can actually sit on. They looked like they were probably from the 1970's.

When I let the guy know in the morning, he didn't even acknowledge my complaint about the bed bugs or the pool furniture, and blamed me for my loud neighbors. I can't believe they made us pay for our stay after being eaten alive by bugs (I'm filing a report on http://www.bedbugregistr…) and by not being able to sleep a wink by our rude neighbors.

The room was awful and the customer service STINKS! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! Now, off to warn the Expedia and Yelp customers.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were very disappointed by our stay here. Poor decoration, furniture and carpet in room. Television very limited. No food but close to other average eating places. Location was really the only thing going for it. Allowed us to get to Hearst Castle early. Did provide a hairdryer when requested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!