“Perfect Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Perfect Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary trip...the moment we walked in I knew it was going to be great! The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly, and gave us a nice room in the same building as the lobby. Loved the room-super comfy bed, spacious, fireplace was awesome, and the soaking tub was perfect. The breakfast in the morning was definitely a plus-nice variety of pastries, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, etc. They also have a pool but we didn't get a chance to use it :(

Shoutout to the gal working Saturday evening who recommended a place up the street for us to catch the Mayweather/Guerrero fight without having to pay a cover!

The Morgan is definitely the best place to stay when you visit San Simeon...I plan on coming back again soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Laguna Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The room was clean and decorated nicely. The bed was comfy. As others mentioned, the breakfast was good considering the room charge.

However, the Morgan's do need to consider getting the hallway (annex building) redone to get rid of the awful smell of cigarettes by either painting or re-carpeting. The cigarette smell was so awful in the hallway and that's all I could remember even after having a wonderful experience staying there. They should also consider installing camera so you can assess fine to those who smoke in & around the building. To me, that is no different than vandalism!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon - A Broughton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I can certainly understand how cigarette smoke and the lingering smell can mar what would ordinarily be a wonderful trip.
The Morgan is a 100% non-smoking facility. Unfortunately we are unable to control what guests do while in their rooms. Once we are notified or detect cigarette smoke we can ask the smokers to stop, however by that time the smell has already disturbed other guests.
I thank you your comment that smoking while at The Morgan is the same as vandalism – I completely agree!
I am hopeful that you will visit us again and will have the opportunity to enjoy your stay smoke free.
Michele Berry
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were booked into this hotel by AAA. This was a lesson for me to fully check a hotel out myself before booking. We arrived after 9pm and it was a bit confusing with 2 buildings with a Mexican restaurant between. Had to drive back and forth. I was traveling with my 85 yr father and there is no elevator so we had to shlep heavy suitcases up the stairs. The room looked nice but when I called the desk because my room was so hot I was told they have no air conditioning. This was a problem for me. The Windows did open but my room faced the street so I couldn't close the drapes or I would get no air at all. Needless to say I got little sleep between being hot and the street noise all night and then the morning light. I use a sleep apnea machine and need a power source. There is a light with a plug but the clock was plugged into that so I could have the clock or my c-pap. Also there was wine,snacks,water and pop in my room like a mini bar type thing but no price list. I think this could be a great hotel with some tweaking. Price was good but if I had known there was no air and no elevator I definitely would have looked around more

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sandra W.
I am so sorry for the confusion you encountered when you arrived at The Morgan. It gets quite dark here at night as we are in such a rural area, it can be difficult to find you way when you are not familiar with the layout. You are correct that we do not have air conditioning, as the temperatures generally stay quite cool here at the coast, none of the area hotels offer air conditioning. We do have table fans we can offer guests who would like a bit more air, I am sorry if you were not given this option.
We do not have elevators, I apologize that you were not offered the courtesy of assistance with your luggage at check-in.
As for the missing snack menu and unavailable plug, I shall look into that personally. Our guests should indeed have access to a convenient plug for anything they will to plug in or charge and be aware of what snacks we have to offer and what the costs are.
I thank you for taking the time to offer your review on your experience at The Morgan.
Michele Berry
General Manager, The Morgan
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed two nights ,it's a good place to be if you want to visit Hearst Castle.our room was in the second block beyon the restaurant .its a quite location although the walls are not that sound proof ,I could hear someone next door sending out a few zzzzzz during th night,.the room are comfy with a fire if needed.breakfast was fine could have done with more fruit .we ate in the Mexican restaurant on one occasion ,nothing to write home about on the second we drove into Cambria where there're are more choices,but don't leave it to late as every where closes at 8.30ish .the fog rolled in for most of the Tay but its clear at the top of hill where Hearst Castle is.
I would come back here again hopefully when there is less fog.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view the ask for a second floor but there is not a lift
Dana Point, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I learned a little about the architect who helped design Hearst castle and is the name sake of this hotel. The room was big and comfortable and reasonably priced, Staff was nice and helpful, Located between the castle and Cambria. No beach view though but you're not paying for it either. OK continental breakfast. I also see that the Broughton Chain which owns this hotel also has one in Bali. (I've just rented houses there) There is also a second have to this hotel two doors down and is quite nice with fire places and such, although I didn't stay in that half My friends said it was very romantic and nice.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during a drive on CA1 from SF to LA. San Simeon is ~halfway btwn the two. It was nice enough. Room seemed reasonably clean. Check in was less than enthusiastic, but sometimes I'm not super chipper at my job either. I didn't use the pool but it looked nice and the continental breakfast was very generous (typical bagels, pastries, yogurt, and cereal along with eggs and potatoes). They had to-go cups next to the coffee. Which was good b/c there is nothing in San Simeon. Other than Herst castle (which I did no visit) there's a beach w/ picnic area, a Mexican restaurant, a diner, and 2 liquor stores. The elephant seal rookery is a few miles north. Overall it was a good pit stop. I just wish there was more food choices.

• Stayed April 2013
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were taking the scenic route from SF to LA and stayed here for the night. Rooms were good sized, though the bathroom was on the smaller side. We had a minor problem with the portable crib, but they took care of it immediately.

The pool was absolutely the best part. Enclosed, but no ceiling, so you could enjoy the stars at night. The pool was very warm too, so even though it was a bit chilly, we were very comfortable. We'd absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon - A Broughton Hotel? Share your experiences!