“Really nice, great price, I'd return” 4 of 5 stars

San Simeon Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9520 Castillo Drive, San Simeon, CA 93452   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
NYC
“Really nice, great price, I'd return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you drive down from san fran, this is at the bottom of Big Sur. I great place to stop after a long day of harrowing cliffs and stunning views. Then, take the inland highway back up.

Great price, 2 double beds, separated into different areas in the room. Nice bathroom. Lots of space. There's no town, so it's quiet. Walk across the street for beach access. Kids can cross alone because the traffic is so sparse.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I wanted a room with ocean view but they are located at the second floor. Since I have accessibility concerns, I picked a room on the first level with direct access to courtyard, pool and gym through a patio sliding door. King bed was comfortable, clean bathroom but floor carpet smelled musty. My room had a coffee maker, no fridge or microwave oven. Contrary to other reviews, I did not experience any bed bugs. There is internet access with password provided by the staff. Had good sleep for the first two nights but floor overhead creaked on third night from footsteps of new arrivals occupying room above mine on second level. I wanted to explore more the neighboring towns and scenery around San Simeon so I extended my stay for one more night. The lady at the reception desk forgot to reactivate my key card for the extended stay, hence the key card refused to open my room. It was raining that night and since the access to the room is from outdoor across the parking lot, I was attempting to open the door under the rain. I had to go back to my car, drive around the property towards the reception area to have my key card reactivated. I did not want this incident to spoil my vacation so I let it slide. The lodge has its own bar and restaurant with friendly and accomodating staff.
The lodge is strategically located. It is walking distance from the ocean, 5 miles drive to the Hearst Castle and 5 miles drive to Cambria, a very friendly and humble town. It is also about 19 miles drive to Morro Bay.
Over-all, I enjoyed my stay in San Simeon. San Simeon is a simple and unpretensious place with simple and unpretensious people. I love San Simeon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Yes, $50 a night...

Small room in a building worn around the edges.
Porous walls allowing me to hear the neighbors' movements & their pets.
A shower head so low it barely reached my chin.

A friendly & attentive staff.
A clean room.
Great location, a few minutes drive to Hearst Castle or Cambria village.
The beach & ocean across the highway.
Free WIFI.

About what I expected for the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This is the closest hotel to Hearst Castle. It is across the street from the ocean and all rooms face the ocean. You can watch sunset from your room. It's close to the Castle and there are some good beaches not too far away.

It provides a fridge and coffee. Rooms are big enough. Our biggest complaint were the very creaky floors. We were on second floor so no problem for us. Good thing no one was below us.

San Simeon is about 5 minutes from CAmbria. I don't know if there are any good restaurants in San Simeon but I know there are some great restaurants in San Simeon. Check out Robins or Madelines or Linns restaurants for fantastic food.

Room Tip: Stay on second floor. All rooms face oean.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

It's a good deal! It's definitely two-star, but don't let that stop you. Great location close to Hearst Castle and the The Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery.
We paid $49 bucks per night plus 11% tax for a Thursday/Friday stay. Aside from the minor inconveniences such as creaky floors, thin walls and a noisy fridge in the room, it was decent. Our room was clean, well appointed and the bed was comfortable. Our room had an up stairs ocean view and you could hear the crashing waves. The grounds are clean and well maintained. There is a restaurant, bar, mini-mart and liquor store on the 4.5 acre grounds. Drinks were a little pricey at $10 bucks for a small glass of wine, but the restaurant was competitive with others nearby and the food was good. The best part for us was the beach access. Oh, and the lodge has a gym, pool, sauna and two computer terminals as well as WiFi available. Check-in/out was a snap. Nice!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203. Ocean views are in upstairs rooms only. Minor view obstructions to ocean in...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We've just come back from Big Sur and Hearst Castle. I booked a two queen room at San Simeon Lodge for one night for about $70. The hotel is situated on the other side of Highway 1, across from the ocean. We arrived on Saturday night - 2/11, the check-in was simple, and we were given a room on the second floor. We then had dinner at the lodge, and the food was good, although a bit pricey. There were very few people in the restaurant, and the atmosphere was calming and relaxing, they do not play loud annoying music (as many places do), there was some sort of lounge/ambiance mix pouring from the speakers.
The two queen room itself is perfect for a small family, as the room is divided into two separate sections, which provides you with some privacy. It looks like the hotel has been renovated, as the walls looked freshly painted, the furniture and the beds looked good, everything was clean, including the bathroom and the floor carpet. Internet connection is a hit or miss, although they do provide you with a password, however I understand that they probably have issues with Internet more or less often in that area.
In the morning we woke up to the sunlight and ocean view from the room. The little pool in the courtyard looked clean as well, but was closed due to winter season. We had breakfast at the lodge and were not disappointed. Pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream were surprisingly tasty, and I know good pancakes, as I'm Russian:)
We headed to Hearst Castle Visitor Center afterwards, which is probably about 5 minutes drive from the lodge. Very convenient.
Another thing I loved about the lodge and this area, that it is kind of secluded. I felt that we got far away from the hustle-bustle of San Francisco, and that was exactly the experience we were looking for.
We spent the second night at Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, and you can read my review of Madonna Inn as well, if you feel like it. It was different, but quite enjoyable too.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #217, this is the second floor two queen room with ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Doing a Big Sur up and back as I do whenever I get the chance, I decided to stay here instead of farther up the coast to make the trip back to LA easier. It was a good decision, as the highway was closed at Lucia by a rockslide, and we would have had a terrible time getting around it to Big Sur proper.

I wasn't thrilled to be near the Hearst Castle, having been there and done that once. Also not thrilled by the strip of lodgings here, as well as the whole hotel row just south in Cambria. But the price here was good, especially for across the street from the ocean, so I booked it. It was a really good choice: when a friend decided to come along, I changed from a king ocean view to two doubles, for a lower price. Then we were upgraded from that to two queens for the same price, and the room was spacious, with the ocean visible even from a non-ocean view room on the first floor, and actually divided so the beds aren't even visible from each other, sort of a V-shape. Make sure any midnight potty-visitors are on the bathroom side of the V, as it could be annoying for them to come through.

The beds were very comfortable, plenty of pillows and covers. Also plenty of towels and toiletries. Everything was very clean, no bad smells or stains or unidentifiable objects observed. The shower was OK, but the water pressure and temperature seemed kind of variable, and with most of the place empty when we showered it might be really annoying at a busy time. The little fridge was fine for passing through, wish there had been a microwave to reheat my dinner leftovers for breakfast. TV choices were limited, but I don't go to Big Sur to watch TV.

The short walk across the street to the beach was no serious obstacle in January, but I imagine it could be icky in the summer. There is a very poorly marked pedestrian walkway under the bridge about 50 yards north of the lodge entrance. We crossed easily half a dozen times, for a spectacular sunset and in the morning, and had a couple of very nice beach strolls.

I agree with other reviewers that the restaurant is way overpriced. After a look at the menu, we didn't even look in the door. We had dinner at the Sea Chest in Cambria - fabulous - and might have used the 10% discount coupons for breakfast if we didn't have other stuff along.

I will definitely stay here again if my plans include a stop south of Big Sur. There are a couple of places I like in Morro Bay, but this beats them for price and location.

Room Tip: We reserved a two-double room and got a two-queen room for the same price. I originally wanted ocean...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to San Simeon Lodge? Share your experiences!