“Disappointing experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Ramon
Houston, Texas
“Disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

As part of a company relocation, I arrived with my family at the hotel after a 7 hour flight and a taxi ride from SFO at about 10:30PM. I had specifically booked a room with 2 queen beds. The Desk clerk looked at us, and said..so you are confirmed for a king size bed. I said the four of us were not looking for a king size bed. We had booked two queens. He says, sorry..sometimes the website makes it seem you have a queen bed, when you do not. Unfortunately I did not have a car or I would have gone to a hilton. I asked the person at the front desk what my options were. He said, we can give you an air mattress to sleep on. I told him .. I was not at his hotel to sleep on an air mattress. After saying that I had booked a double room and wanted one, then they gave me an additional room at half price. I took it for the time being because I needed to move forward. However, I feel it is very strange for a hotel to say we may or may not give you a double bed on arrival when my reservation was for a double bed room.

I've traveled for many years and stayed at many many hotels. Mostly a hilton fan. I have never encountered this issue. I regret my brief foray into the world of Marriott. Back to Hilton for good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank SRbusinessman
sanramongm, General Manager at San Ramon Marriott, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. It can be very frustrating to not have your desired room type upon arrival. Unfortunately on the weekend that you stayed with us we had a number of families in the hotel for a soccer tournament, which required all rooms with two beds. Generally the bed type noted in a reservation is only a request once the inventory for that type of room is fully committed. We try to meet each and every guest’s request but in your case we were unable to do so. Again, I apologize and regret that your stay was not satisfactory.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here recently for a wedding and it met our needs. The rooms were pretty good, but double beds are just too small. They also didn't have our room ready when we arrived so they gave us a room that had just been carpet cleaned (read: wet carpets). Other than that, though, the bar was good, as was the service staff. Did the trick and reasonably priced for what we wanted.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to comment about the hotel. We have an aggressive cleaning and maintenance program at hotel that includes carpet cleaning. The carpets should be completely dry before checking any guest into the room. I apologize that this was not the case for you. Hopefully you will consider staying with us again when you are in the area in the future.
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights for a wedding. They got a pretty good deal for their guests and we were happy with our stay. Nice and clean hotel, and good space in the rooms. We also had a view to the pool - very nice! The pool-area was nice, but they had few sunbeds. Very strange that they had so many charis, but only about 12 sunbeds. Most people I know would like a sunbed while being by the pool. The free wifi in the lobby that worked well. We were hoping for free wi-fi also in the rooms but they didn't have it - most US hotels we've stayed at has this. Breakfast was good. 20 dollars for the buffet. We had a very nice server both days we had breakfast there. And also about 12 dollars pr day for self-park. So even though we got a nice price for the room, we had to pay a little too much for the other stuff for me to give this hotel any better rating. Loved the express check-out! A great Whole Food and Target next to the hotel! So you could probably get a much cheaper meal there if you wanted to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the feedback and will look into increasing the number of lounge chairs around the pool.
kjtraveler2008
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Nice hotel, clean & quiet. We had a room on the first floor and we were only staying for one night for a wedding. Not much around but they did have a shuttle to the nearby golf course where they dropped us off and picked us up afterwards so that was nice. The pool was seemingly under construction but all in all no complaints and no huge over the top amazing experiences either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
sanramongm, General Manager at San Ramon Marriott, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
I am glad to hear that our shuttle service to and from the wedding you were attending worked out fro you. Your other comments about the hotel are appreciated. Although I am confused about the "construction" comment about the pool. Our pool is open and there has not been any notable projects going on. However, you may have been with us the weekend we were enhancing our patio area by installing a fire pit. I apologize if this created any inconvenience.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Only stayed here for one night. Initially I was really impressed with the lobby. It was beautifully decorated and spacious. The man at the check-in desk seemed incredibly rushed and distracted but it appeared there were several wedding parties staying in the hotel so it's understandable.
The room was pretty average though it did have a cute little balcony that was nice to step out onto in the morning. It wasn't big enough for a chair though, just standing room for two.
I was pretty disappointed in the bed however. It was quite hard and felt like it was made of stiff cardboard. My back certainly felt it in the morning.
All in all not a bad hotel for the money by any means, but I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your bed. We get a variety of comments regarding our beds which are generally positive. However, I apologize that the bed was not comfortable for you and you did not awaken well rested. Hopefully, you will considering staying with us again should your travels bring you back to San Ramon.
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent a quiet weekend there with my wife recently. Really liked the location, just off the freeway, next door to shopping center with a few food options, and in a very nice area. Also the pool area looked nice though we didn't go in as it was a bit cold that weekend in May. Tons to do within 20 minutes be it shopping in Walnut Creek, hiking Diablo, etc.... The front desk staff was friendly, room service quick, bar was nice, and the restaurant was good for Sunday brunch. Like a lot of Marriotts it's a little tired on the edges. Just little things like ragged carpet here or there, chipped furniture, and small bathroom. If you are used to standard full service Marriotts then this will be right in line for you. I am platinum with Marriott and from what I have seen this is a very typical property. Again, not quite 4 stars to me but certainly above average.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We greatly appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to review the San Ramon Marriott.
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Nice staff... Beautiful view, far from malls... But there's a target and a few restaurantes right beside... I really love it!! Large rooms, and the maid was so kind, she woke us up once but, not a problem, she put our teddy bears on the bed, like, someday playing, then hugging.. It was a simple thing that made us smile. It was also quiet and comfortable, great for relaxing. I'd get back there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank -BiancaOG
Thank you for your wonderful comments. Our team is encouraged to do the"little things" to exceeed our guests' expectations. I'm delighted that this was the case for your recent stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ramon
4.0 of 5 stars 77 reviews
BEST WESTERN Danville Sycamore Inn
Extended Stay America - San Ramon - Bishop Ranch - West
Extended Stay America - San Ramon - Bishop Ranch - East

Been to San Ramon Marriott? Share your experiences!