“Simple, laid back vibe.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in San Rafael
New York City, New York
“Simple, laid back vibe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

When we were looking for a hotel to stay in nearby the San Francisco area we couldn't make up our minds. At first my husband and I were a bit skeptical about staying at the Four Points Sheraton San Rafael because of the mixed reviews that we read on Trip Advisor. However, we ended up having a fantastic stay. The Four Points Sheraton is in a good location, as it is centralized. We traveled to San Francisco, Berkeley, Sausalito and Muir Woods. Since we are Starwood Preferred Guests, we also had some great perks. We were able to redeem points for our entire stay.

We were driving up from L.A. and weren't going to arrive until way past check in time. We also requested an interior room possibly facing the pool based on prior reviews that we read. We were told that late check in would be fine, and that they would try their best to accommodate our requests. We didn't hold our breaths and yet were pleasantly surprised upon arrival.

The check in process went smoothly, and our room request was met. We spun a wheel in hopes of earning extra Starwood points and did. They were applied to our account immediately. We also opted for "Going Green" with housekeeping services. We earned extra points per night by doing this. With this option, our sheets were not changed daily and we did not receive housekeeping. We have done this before and it was a good option for us. We requested towels and we received them accordingly.

Parking and wifi were complimentary, as was breakfast which is offered from 6:00 am to 10:00 am (although we did not know this, as no one notified us). We ended up grabbing breakfast on our own only to find out that our rate qualified us for complimentary breakfast vouchers for each day that we could redeem toward the breakfast buffet or use as a $12 vouchers towards anything on the menu. (Not knowing about breakfast that first day was the only negative part about our stay).
Luckily, we inquired about breakfast options and were told that we were supposed to receive vouchers. Better late than never, right? We had breakfast for the remainder of our stay which was a typical breakfast buffet offered at hotels, with an omelette station as well.

The pool is an added plus if you don't mind sharing the space with families. There were a lot of families with young children that were staying here. However, we were able to have breakfast by the pool and just lay out in the sun which was nice.

Considering that we just came from the glitzy W in L.A. and still appreciated this place should speak volumes. In fact, we enjoyed that San Rafael was beautiful and had such a laid back feel compared to the party hotel we stayed in previously. Yes the hotel is a bit dated, but we really didn't mind that. Overall, our stay was comfortable. We would return here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsSanRafael, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing this thorough review. We truly appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Marin County.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked three rooms for family for two nights. Our problems began with reservations before we arrived: I called the hotel directly to make some bed-type changes, and without alerting me or getting my authorization, they changed 2 of 3 rooms to more expensive, upgraded rooms. I didn't find this out until I called the following day because they had not emailed me either of the new confirmations. In the end, it took me 4 calls and speaking to two supervisors to get the proper rates reinstated, and then I STILL did not receive the emailed confirmations with corrected rates for two of the rooms, and had to call again. I did send the hotel an email request for this before calling for a fifth time, but never received a response.

The room itself was okay. Bed was very comfortable and shower water pressure awesome. One of our free water bottles was already opened and half used, and the second day the maid left dirty towels on the floor and only restocked with one coffee packet rather than two. No lotion in the bathroom until our second day.

My real room problem was this: I completely understand that rollaway beds are not guaranteed, but what is really irritating is that I reiterated my request for one when we checked in at around 1pm and the front desk said they'd send one up. Called again at 4pm, and said one of three they had available was headed our way. Called at 9pm and front desk sounded surprised we hadn't received one and told me she'd follow up. My call was never returned, and we spent both nights without a rollaway bed, so there were 4 of us in a king bed: 2 adults, baby and small child.

One more small point, and this is getting pretty nit-picky, I know, but the cable channels did not have anything for kids! They did list Cartoon Network, but it was actually National Geographic instead. On a vacation, I really relish a little time to get ready on my own, and being able to turn on a cartoon for a bit is welcome relief. The hotel was filled with young kids, so we can't be the only family bummed about that.

Having now checked out several days ago, I'm surprised to find that my Starwood account has not received credit for the stay, and nor does my reservation appear in my account at all! My SPG number is definitely on my emailed confirmation, and I also double-checked with the front desk upon check-out to ensure it was in their system. I have no idea what is going on, and I'm bothered that I have to call them yet again to straighten this problem out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Rafael hotels

Lake Tahoe, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed duing the NHRA races in Sonoma and the Hotel is very clean, great staff, comfortable beds and a great location for both the races, wine country and San Francisco area. One thing is that is is in need of a complete remodel. The bathroom was very outdated and same with the room. It is clean but you can see the wear on everything. I would stay again but it will need to be done soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsSanRafael, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. The races are always a lot of fun and it's great that you found some time to explore our immediate vicinity.
We do our best to keep the hotel clean and provide excellent service. The renovation is coming and updates will be made public once details become known.
See you again next year or maybe sooner!
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was an ideal stop after San Fran en route to Sonoma and Napa Valley. Room was changed for us with no fuss when we found it not quite suitable. Both pool and hot tub had a hoist which was great. Good, light breakfast. Not too far from mall and food places but easier to drive than walk

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words. The team will always accommodate guest requests as long as our occupancy makes this possible.
I hear that this year's vintage is anticipated to be particularly great. So, be sure to come back soon and stay with us while exploring Sonoma and Napa Wine Country.
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was surprised that rooms were not nicer. But in comparison to other options in the area, it was not that bad of a deal. The front desk staff was very nice, but the carpets in our room were surprisingly dirtier than most.

Room Tip: I would go back again,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FourPointsSanRafael, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for this feedback. We have a regular carpet cleaning process in place and we'll be sure to check all of them thoroughly.
Our team works hard to provide great service and it's great when it is recognized.
Come back and visit us again the next time you are in town!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We tried to check in early but were turned away until 3:00 (I thought we got early check in with the Starwood Rewards level we are at but they said they couldn't do it) I did really liked the front staff at this hotel, and the pool area was very nice. Our bed creaked every time we moved and was really uncomfortable. I mentioned it on checkout and they put an extra 1000 Starwood points in my account. I would have rather had a good night's sleep, but it was a nice gesture. Rooms were clean, and they also have a wheel to spin for extra Starwood points.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
We are very sorry that your bed was not comfortable and we want to get an opportunity to take a look at it. Please email me the room number at hott@rimhospitality.com
On a lighter note I am happy to know that you were pleased with our team. We take great pride in ensuring that every guest is happy and the team brings that to life.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Although aspects of the property are dated, our room was clean and roomy. For some reason multiple calls prior to our arrival and a discussion with the front desk once we got there could not get our name corrected from Bru... To Dru... Hence friends looking for us were told we were not registered. Due to this hassle we were comped our second night. Staff was very courteous and apologetic.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room on the east side of the building. Easy parking and you don't hear highw...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!