“Cost cutting noticeable.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
California
“Cost cutting noticeable.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We have stayed here when in the area over the years, under different ownership and always found it a good choice. This time it seemed cost cutting measures were noticeable. Coffee maker in room didn't work and other amenities lacking. Doubt we will stay here next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
scottolivo, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Chris Rooney,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We truly value all of our guests feedback. I apologize that the coffee maker was not working in the room. Those things happen sometimes and without guest feedback these can sometimes be missed. We haven't really made many cost cuts here at the hotel. I am sorry if we were lacking an ammenity you were looking for. We hope that you consider us again in the future as we will make sure to do everything in our power to provide you with what is expected.

Scott Olivo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
San Ramon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

You would think that staying at a 'higher end' hotel the staff would be warm and welcoming...WRONG! the staff were snooty and borderline hostile. We wanted to close the curtains but couldn't the curtains aren't designed to be closed. We were on the third floor but still..we should have had the option to draw the curtains or blinds for privacy if we wanted to. The bathroom was tiny and the building was stuffy and not well ventilated. The breakfast was terrible. They don't give you the option of serving your own drinks and the only waitress was not available to serve us, so we went without coffee. The eggs were practically raw, the tortillas stale and the strawberries looked nice, but tasted like they were rotten. Overall not a good experience. Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
scottolivo, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Arcticblueice,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Four Points San Rafael. I am truely sorry your stay was not a memorable one with us. We will be sure to speak with our entire staff to insure we are providing superior service at all times. We do have curtains that draw in all of our guest rooms. maybe the curtains in your room were malfunctioning, we will make sure we look at that. The bathrooms are on the smaller side, unfortunately we can't really change that. I am sorry that we did not communicate our coffee bar we have set up during our breakfast available to all of our guests. We will address the quality of the food with our Chef to insure we are always serving quality product.

I am sorry we failed you on you recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention. We hope in the future you consider staying with us again.

Scott Olivo

Travelers are raving about these San Rafael hotels

Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I spent three nights here - from Friday through Sunday, while attending a weekend workshop. Since this property is at the top of a hill, amidst a business park, surrounded by office buildings, I assumed they would have a dining option - which they did. However, when I called for room service on Saturday, I was informed that the one and only restaurant even close to the property (the one in the hotel) was not open on Saturday and Sunday. I did not have a car as I arrived in a taxi. If you don't mind sleeping in a lousy bed, a postage size bathroom, no restaurant on the weekend or taking a cab if you want lunch or dinner, then I guess this hotel would work for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
scottolivo, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Dear k2kelley,

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Four Point by Sheraton in San Rafael. We appreicate all of our guests feedback. We do have a resaurant on property that is always open for breakfast and dinner. During the week we are open for lunch as well. On the weekends we don't serve lunch, but we do have several dining option across the street within walking distance. I'm sorry that the wrong information was relayed to you and you were not presented with all of the dining options in or surrounding the hotel. I will be sure to follow up with our staff to insure this doesn't happen again. The bathrooms are on the smaller side but this allows for the guest room to be larger than most standard guest rooms. I am sorry that the bed was not comfortable for you.
We take our guests feedback very seriously and we address every situation to be sure that guests visiting the Four Points will have a great experience. We hope that when you are in the area in the future, you will consider staying with us again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

The hotel has recently been redone and is very nice. The staff was less than helpful. When I would come to the desk if they were working on something they didn't even acknowledge me, kept doing whatever and minutes later asked how they could help me. The bathrooms were small and the air conditioner/heater was very noisy. We turned it off otherwise it was so loud it would wake us up. The meeting space was nice and the entrance on the lower level was helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
FourPointsSR, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
Dear McMullins,

Thank you for staying with us recently at the Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael. I am very sorry about the experience you had at the Front Desk. We strive to be the very best in customer service and we will make sure to look into your comments. Yes, the bathrooms are small but the benefit of that is having a larger guest room. We hope you will come back to see us again!

Covina, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I am an owner of a westin vacation property and a gold member of spg. I travel constantly for business and always try to choose a starwood hotel. This was my first and last stay in a four points. I would rather stay at a motel 6. This hotel is horrible, you can hear the people in the room next to you sneeze and cough ( I am listening to it as I write this). Another person stated in their review that they just felt uncomfortable and I cannot agree more. I feel like I am constantly looking over my shoulder and making sure my door is double locked. It's been said many times and its true the bathrooms are tiny small is not the right word tiny is. I have two more horrible nights left in this hotel : which means two more nights of 0 sleep!

• Stayed February 2011
FourPointsSR, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Dear LadyBug1322

We are sorry for the experiece you had at our hotel during your recent stay. Our Hotel provides 24 hr on site security to make sure our Guests are comfortable. Unfortunately, we cannot change the size of our bathrooms but we could have moved your room in order to lessen the noise & to make sure you would get a good nights sleep. Starwood & Four Points by Sheraton are delighted that you are an SPG Gold Member and we hope to see you at our hotels in the future.

Saddle Brook, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have been familiar with this property since it was built in the late 60's as a Holiday Inn. I had an office down the road and often ate lunch here. I have stayed here under a number of hotel names and I was drawn to it since my wife and I travel with my 16yr old and book him a separate room. The advance rate on their website was $79 per room, and although Hotwire rate of $69 beat this, I booked directly since I am a starwood member and wanted the points. Given when and for whom the hotel was built, there are a few downsides to the rooms. Most notably, the tiny but well lit bathrooms. And, the fact that many of the rooms overlook the 101 freeway. And, the visible, in the wall air conditioners. But I am happy to report that this latest re-do by Four Points is a successful one The rooms have nice eye appeal and are quite comfortable and generally quiet. And the lobby and hallways are bright and attractive. The outdoor pool area is extremely pleasant with good seating on sunny day. The restaurant is decent for breakfast with reasonable prices. Request an interior facing(poolside) room and for the price, you will have gotten a bargain. A few of the interior rooms, however, face the wall of the reception area, but we were moved to an actual poolside room when we complained
As for the location, high on a hill in the Northgate section of San Rafael, convenient to a nice mall, restaurants, and the adjacent 101 freeway(about 20 mins to San Francisco non rush hour) is quite good.
A 3 minute ride to Frank Lloyd Wright's Marin Civic Center, 15 to Sausilito and about 25 to Muir Woods. 30 mins to Napa and to the East Bay(Berkeley, etc) makes this a comforable and frugal alternative to San Francisco in town lodging. Parking is free. If you miss breakfast at the hotel, try the bagel place across the street in the small mall that fronts the larger Northgate mall. Good breakfast sandwiches and terrific bagels. Restuarants abound in downtown San Rafael(an exit or so southbound on 101). Lots of ethnic choices.
Also, a terrific art house movie theater on the main drag.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
FourPointsSR, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Thank you for your lovely review of our Hotel! It's nice to know that you have seen the Hotel in its many re-incarnations and this one is a hit! We look forward to having you, your wife & son back with us soon!

Flossmoor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

You need to be aware that it's on a highway and there's traffic noise. Running the air conditioner softens it. But, most importantly there's a sign at the door that says there's a cancer causing agent in the building...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
MikeLindaFlossmoor,

Thank you for your review of our lovely hotel. I wanted to let you know that the notice in the room about "cancer causing agents" must be posted per California State law, Proposition 65. Every building in the State of California should have this posted if they use any type of cleaning products in the building. We are sorry if this made you uncomfortable... we are just doing our duty as a law abiding business. We hope to see you back again soon!

Director of Sales & Catering

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!