“Comfortable, Good Value, Dated Decor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, CA 94903   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Summer Stays from $179
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Davis, CA
“Comfortable, Good Value, Dated Decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've stayed at this property on three separate occasions. My room has been on the fourth floor all three times (not by request, it just seems to turn out that way) and has always been clean and comfortable. Regarding the free breakfast, the made-to-order omelet is really tasty but the pastries and muffins taste like they're leftover from the previous morning. The free Manager's Reception (5:30pm - 7:30pm) has full bar and snacks (although one time the snacks consisted of slightly stale tortilla chips, salsa and some cheese). I'm not picky when it comes to this, but the lobby and hallway decor seems dated and many areas could use some freshening up or at least a good coat of paint. Service has always been top notch - friendly and efficient. Work brings me to this area often and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for being a repeat guest of ours and for taking the time to write your review. I appreciate our guests feedback and do take what is said to heart so that we can improve where we need to and celebrate where we have shined. I loved reading that you have always found the service from our Staff to be top notch because that is what hospitality is all about and we want each of our guests to feel like they are home and a part of our family when they are here. It was also nice to read that you have always found your suite to be clean and comfortable and our cooked-to-order breakfast great. In regards to our muffins and danish, I have actually asked our Chef to look at other options, not sure if it's the size or the brand that makes them not as flavorful or fresh, but we'll get to the bottom of it.
Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

While I've stayed at literally hundreds of Hotels as a traveling businessman in the past. This was by far one of my worst experiences. You'd figure for the expense of this hotel you would get better than some danky roadside motel. However you'd be as wrong as we were. The room Nice size, That's the best I can do for the room, smelled old, looked dated, was not clean. In fact we stayed for 3 days and the room was vacuumed once. They never cleaned while we were there. Just made the bed and left towels. The crumbs on the table from the Managers reception Popcorn. Yep, still there for two days until I cleaned it. BTW left it there purposely just to test.

The Managers Reception, what a joke! it was in this dark hole with little to no seating, Guess they wanted you to be as uncomfortable as possible so you would leave and not eat to much popcorn or drink to much wine Expenses, Expenses. Looked like a scene from the Walking Dead. No we didnt stay we were afraid of getting bitten.

OK YOU READY! Here is the bright spot. The Daily Breakfast was awesome! That is until 9:30am Man they get evil at that time. The mature gentleman (loose term) at the gate, That's right gate. is sure to warn you and chastise should you be there at 9:30am simply seeking a cup of coffee. Didn't happen to us but we observed a half dozen people getting tongue lashed for not being timely on their vacation. Then at 9:30am ON THE DOT they closed the gate. So, while you're in the eatery you feel like a prisoner at Alcatraz. What an experience.

While the one member of the staff guess he was from guest services was nice the rest of the staff must have been chewing rocks and eating hot peppers. The worst customer service ever no good morning, no have a great stay, no have a great day, No Hello WTH! then while you walk by they look at you like you owe them money personally and haven't paid them back. You know that look.,

The Crown Jewel!!! THEY CHARGE $10 BUCKS A DAY FOR INTERNET ACCESS. I have to laugh, You get FREE internet at MacDonald s, In this day an age still charging for internet at a hotel seems a bit cheap.

Well That's my review of my stay at Embassy suites. I hope it provides you some insight of what we experienced. You may not however I doubt it. So, if you don't mind Zero customer service, Uncleaned Rooms, paying for internet service. Paying premium prices for a substandard stay The Embassy Suites is the hotel for you. If not I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my sincere apologies for the hassle and frustration you experienced during your recent stay with us. It is totally unacceptable that your suite was not properly cleaned during your stay. Our Housekeeping procedures call for much more then you received as a stay over guest and for that I am truly sorry. It is not the norm and has been properly addressed with the Staff. In regards to the Evening Reception, we do hold it in our open air atrium by the waterfall, with our Lounge and it's seating being avaialbale as well for our guests. I am sorry that you did not feel comfortable being there. In terms of Breakfast, we do have large metal gates at each of the two entry ways and we do close one side when breakfast hours have concluded. I was concerned when I read that people were being tongue lashed for arriving late and have had conversation with the Breakfast Staff regarding your comments. It is never our intent to make our guest feel uncomfortable or rushed. In regards to the Staff, I was very surprised to read that no one showed or expressed good customer service, as I honestly typically receive very good comments about them, many on the social websites, so again I apologize that, that was not what you experienced. When it comes to internet charges, we, as do many Marriott and Starwood and IHG full service hotels charge for internet. I know that HIlton Worldwide is looking at options and hopefully they will be received/perceived to be better alternatives or changes for our guests in the future.
Thank you for your comments and candor. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality stay you deserve, should you return to the area.
reno, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Staff is super helpful and friendly. Great restaurant & bar. Quiet at night. Great palce to stay if visiting The City and don't want the hassle of staying in San Francisco. No problem for the bartender to put our drinks in to go cups so we coulr take to pool area. The pool looked a little murky but the spa was great and after 10 pm it's adults only. Easy freeway access so getting into San Francisco was easy. We will stay again and plan to bring our East coast family when they come for a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for making my day! It is always nice to hear from our guests and especially so when they have thoroughly enjoyed themselves. It was great to hear that you found the Staff super helpful, that you enjoyed Grille 101 and the Lounge, that you had a great night's sleep and that you found our location to be a good alternative to staying in the city (which many of our guests have expressed). Our location just north of the Golden Gate between the city and wine country puts us in an ideal localtion, without the additional costs and city noise. We look forward to welcoming you back and to meeting your family from the East Coast.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

While I normally love staying at embassy suites, the outside of this hotel is much better looking than the inside. The decor is out of date, the mangers reception is in this really weird area with minimal seating. The service at the managers reception was doing his best. One highlight was the delicious breakfast. The omelet was amazing! The room seemed up to date, except the terrible lingering smell of smoke. It was a non-smoking room in a non-smoking floor but it was horrendous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is important to us and I appreciate your candor. It was nice to read that you enjoyed our cooked-to-order breakfast and that you found your suite up to date with the exception of it smelling like smoke. I apologize for that. We only have a few smoking suites and unfortunately when guests smoke in their suite, it permiates beyond their area. With the support of Ownership, we will actually be going non-smoking by years end, so your next visit will be smoke free. In regards to the decor looking dated, I will tell you that we are 23 years old and that we do our best to maintain the condition of the property. We were actually renovated in 2008' and are hoping to begin upgrades to the interior of the building inclusive of our guest suites, atrium and meeting room areas in the not too distant future.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went there last weekend for an overnight stay. A nice property although a little bit old but clean rooms and bathrooms. Very good toiletries. Loved their evening reception. Breakfast was good. They even allowed me a late checkout at 1pm and free wifi as a honors member. Overall a great stay.

The only thing that irked me is that as an Hilton honors member, in my profile I have specifically mentioned that I would like my room away from the elevator but I was given a room right across the elevator which shows that they dont read your preferences at all. Other than that, I would recommend the hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us last weekend. It was nice to read that you found your suite to be comfortable and clean and that you were able to enjoy both the Evening Reception and Cooked-to-Order Breakfast. I do apologize though for your not receiving a suite away from the elevators, as your Hilton Honors profile mentions. This is something that I have spoken to the Team about, as details and requests are an important part of what we do each and every day. It is my hope that when you are in the area again, that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you a suite away from the elevator!
Woodland Hills,CA, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This place doesn't deserve more than 1 star and this is only for the comfort of the bed and the room space other than that it's too old, dirty and lack of service. In past I have been many times to other Embassy Suites in other states and cities and I was always pleased to go there but this hotel really surprised me. The place has a nice interior with a fountain, etc but all the hallways, carpets, rooms and decoration are old and need badly to be remodeled. I went to use the Gym and swimming pool but after 10 minutes running I couldn't breath in this place, there is no fan or A.C and you barely can breath. The pool water was like greenish and disgusting. I could see the formation of algae at the bottom of the pool. As far as the use of wireless, this place charges you a fee unlike many other hotels. The breakfast quality is horrible and they serve the same things over and over every day. I am glad I didn't stay more than 3 nights there because I couldn't eat their food the last day. Don't forget that they will charge you another 25$ every night for additional hotel charges,etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts relative to your recent stay with us. It was disappointing to hear that you were not pleased with the hotel. Our goal is to provide our guests comfort, service and all the amenities associated with our being an Embassy Suites Hotel. I sincerely apologize that we fell short in providing those to you. While the size of our Exercise facility is on the smaller side, it does have air conditioning/ventilation in the ceiling. The pool and whirlpool are cleaned very morning and re-checked by the Engineering staff each afternoon to ensure the temperature and chemical levels are what they need to be. Relative to breakfast, we do offer the same staples each morning as well as the option of cooked to order eggs, omelets, pancakes or french toast in addition to fresh fruit,yougart and dry cereal. I apologize if the staff did not explain that, as not too many people want to eat the same thing every day. In regards to the property looking old, we are 23+ years old, however, the staff works hard to maintain the building and to keep it clean. We are currently working with Ownership to upgrade different aspects of the hotel in the not too distant future, which is both welcome and exciting. As part of HIlton Worldwide, we as well as our sister brands (Hilton and Doubletree) do charge for internet access. This is an area under discussion, one that I am sure will bring changes for everyone. Perhaps not free to guest, but different packages with varying degrees of access available for guests to choose from. I believe that the $25 charge you refer to is the amount we obtain authorization for, should you have incidental charges. This amount is held on your credit/debit card and released if not used at check-out, I appreciate you sharing your concerns as we are not perfect and we are continuously striving to improve our guests experience. It is my hope that you do return one day so that we can show you that we are much better then you just experienced.
Reno, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

A nice property with a friendly staff and amenities. A free and diverse breakfast is a time and money saver, the managers evening reception is available with the full bar and snacks (a nice way to spend "happy hour" if you enjoy that sort of thing) Rooms are set up to be quiet and are clean and comfortable. We used our stay as a base of operations for exploring the Pt. Reyes and Tomales Bay area, a good option if you are not staying out along Highway 1.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for your kind words reagrding your recent stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests and it is especially nice, when you read how much a guest enjoyed their stay from the suite, to the amenities to the location of the hotel. Thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, CA 94903
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in San Rafael
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, getaroom.com, Despegar.com and Otel so you can book your Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael
Embassy Suites San Rafael
San Rafael Embassy Suites

If you own or manage Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.