“Good more often than not.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

You added Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, CA 94903   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Crescent City, CA
“Good more often than not.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Have been staying here occasionally since 2004. A LOT of pluses! My first stay here was with the football team for playoffs, Perfect! Large interior plaza for the kids to roam with evening reception refreshments and an indoor pool. Breakfast in the morning is as good as a restaurant without the hassle and always good. The plaza is so beautifully decorated during Christmas season that I hope we are still playing till Thanksgiving weekend every year.
We have stayed here several times as well for business and vacation. Much better bargain than San Francisco hotels with free parking and just a short drive to attractions in S.F. We have only been disappointed once when we were in a larger corner room for comfort's sake. The room next door was full of smokers and we seemed to catch the brunt of it. Staff brought up an air purifier but nothing could clear the smoke smell. We pointed out that we were in a non smoking room with a no smoking sign posted outside the elevator but nothing else was done. Overall value keeps us coming back. All and all the Embassy is a good choice for the Wine Country and Bay Area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

One of the challenges with embassy suites as a brand is that on paper every property seems to have the same or similar amenities (suites, cooked to order breakfast, evening reception, etc.) but the execution quality varies widely. I have stayed at over 30 such properties and this one ranks close to the bottom. The rooms feel small, bathrooms look dated and even the lobby area has a 60s look. The staff is really helpful, they try hard and in general the service is very good but there is only so much one can do with such a property. Breakfast is mediocre. Location may be good or bad depending on your needs. It is not walking distance from anywhere, but close to shops, 5 min drive from downtown san rafael, 40 min from Sonoma. I would have given this three stars except for the fact that it was quite expensive and i could have stayed at many other hotels in the area with better facilities for much less. You are likely to be dissappointed if you walk in with a expectation of embassy suites based on positive previous experiences.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gardner, KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The location and price are great, just far enough away from San Francisco and not quite into wine country so the cost is reasonable.

Staff was great. Overall the hotel is clean, the breakfast was good, bed comfort was great, and it was quiet.

Rooms could use some updating. We did order pizza from room service, not very good. We had a mix up with tax, when we negotiated room price we were told it included tax, after bill we noticed tax was on top of quote. Manager did clear this up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
donnademar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This is my hometown. I have stayed here throughout the years. It is time for an update. The rooms and halls are in desparate need of an update. Breakfast was ok only compared to other Embassy Suites.. Rooms are okay except for damaged carpet and old furniture. I will always stay here when I visit because the location is great for me in spite of it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Overall, not a bad place to stay, but it has a few lows. The hotel is outdated and the rooms, particularly the furniture, are in desparate need of repair. Breakfast is ok, not exceptional. Manager's Reception offers good drinks, but the appetizers can be passed. Gym is very small. Location, kind of isolated, with no where to go on foot. The elevator... you can get faster to the top of the Empire State Building than to the 5 floor of this hotel. Trust me, it moves in low motion.
Be aware that the room walls are paper thin and if you get a bad neighbor, you can't sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stay at this Embassy Suites Hotel, twice a year, en route to Spirit Rock, which is nearby. The check-in is always very efficient. The "cooked breakfasts" are the highlight of the stay, as the quality of the breakfasts is very high. The evening manager's reception needs to have a better selection of appetizers; drinks are free, but, unfortunately, I do not over-indulge in alcoholic beverages.
The hotel can improve on the quality/age of the computers in the Business Center.
Otherwise, very good value for your dollar.

Room Tip: Higher floors are preferable as there is less noise from the Atrium
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

There are some positives to this hotel. One, it's about 30 minutes from Sonoma. The rooms have refrigerators and the executive room had a microwave. Breakfast was okay, especially the pancakes and bacon. I liked the green granite in the bathroom and bar area. Unfortuantely this is the nastiest hotel I've stayed at in a long long time. Really, it's name is a disgrace to Embassy Suites and Hilton. True the property lounge areas and rooms need to be updated. Unfortunately, I would not stay here again. I was first placed in room 306. Initially, I was greeted with a dirty (black) entryway to my room with 4 glasses parked outside of my room. The chair in the front room looked like someone had vomited in it, and the furniture was super ugly (red and brown sofa, with brown blue and a few other color in the chair), and worn with plaid curtains and checker brown carpet. I complained and was moved to room 308 which was a little cleaner but smelt of dirty carpet. I used one of the hotel towels and started cleaning my new room, 308. I got a lot of dirt off of the table and chair in the front room and toothpaste drool off of the bathroom wooden area under the pretty green black granite in the bathroom. After cleaning the front room and bathroom, I called the manager and asked if someone could seriously come behind whoever was suppose to be cleaning rooms 306 and 308. There was a red speck of something on one of the bedroom tables. One of the white face towels had something blue that looked like toothpaste on it. The manager, Rudy, came up and taken the towel that I had already washed out 3 times. Later, he said that the towel didn't really have much on it. It was hard to sleep in the dirty room. The carpet was just straight up nasty and Rudy said he would get the carpet cleaner to clean it but he didn't tell me when this was suppose to happen. Between the bathroom and the bar area the carpet was black from filth, very gross. Also the window and corners of the rooms were dirty and the area around the heating/ac area was dirty and dusty. The next day, I complained to a very nice woman with an Indian name starting with an S at the front desk. Almost in tears, I was wanting to check out of this filthy place. Thank you a million to this nice lady and I'm sorry I don't remember how to spell her whole name because she was the greatest! She immediately upgraded and transferred me to room 537 which was much cleaner and only had an armrest on the chair that needed to be wiped off and a tear drop brown speck on one the white pillowcases. The carpet was clean in the room but I still had nightmares from the previous 2 rooms. Unfortunately, I take baths, and when I was in the bathtub in each room their was black moldy looking filth coming out of all the toilet water ports ( Room 537 had less than the other rooms). I never did figure out what the white bird poop looking stuff was on the drapes in 537. I just didn't have enough energy to pursue this and I really didn't want to know. I stayed here 4 nights. The happy hour was a little gross with kids helping themselves and not using tongs. The first night we had grapes, cheese, and crackers. I'm trying to eat healthier so I got the grapes and they were awesome. The next night I think it was cheese dip and chips, and the next evening it was salsa and chips. The fourth night I didn't go to happy hour. It would have been nice to have had fruit or something healthy to eat on each night. The area around happy hour and breakfast is gross. The furniture in this area is real worn and filthy. The breakfast chairs seats and backs had something white that looked like bird poop in most of them. The carpet in this hotel needs to be removed and the staff and guest need to stop throwing glasses and food items and utensils out in the hall. On each floor, around the elevator stand it was very dusty and filthy. Sound really echos in this hotel. Almost always, you could hear kids screaming from the pool area, and the hotel in general. Overall, I was disappointed with this dirty hotel.

Room Tip: It seem like the executive rooms are cleaner than the average rooms at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, CA 94903
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in San Rafael
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael
Embassy Suites San Rafael
San Rafael Embassy Suites

If you own or manage Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.