“interesting hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Rafael
Panama Hotel
You added Panama Hotel to your Saves list
4 Bayview Street, San Rafael, CA 94901   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Hinckley Ohio
“interesting hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited for 4 nights last May. We chose this hotel because of it's quiet location and easy access to the highway going into San Francisco. On the good side... the staff was very professional, polite, and helpful. The food was good and reasonably priced. And our safari room was relaxing, very quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. The odd part was the building itself. The bottom floor is a restaurant with inside seating and an outdoor patio. The rooms are located mostly on a second level that is reached thru specific walkways. We had to walk thru the outside patio (usually with people seated at the tables) whenever we went to or from our room. Just made the experience a bit.... different. Also, the window in our room was overlooking another room's window &/or balcony ...at a short distance. Didn't feel comfortable opening the drapes. This building has a long history and has been remodeled at various times, leaving it in a "odd" shape. We spent all of our time at the hotel in the room because we didn't feel comfortable sitting outside.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We live 30 miles away...had a wedding to attend and thought...avant garde? We found it! Cozy bar, fabulous food, well appointed rooms and terrific customer service. Of special note was Juan, who was able to arrange transportation and the owner that takes pride in his establishment!
Simple and healthful breakfast...fresh fruits and bakeries... VERY comfortable room! Big sumptuous shower for two!

Room Tip: Street parking only...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

in an incredible place just few miles form golden gate. i just stayeed for one night but found i lovely. nice people and the food is amazing. a lot of locals where arround for dinner, that can tell you all allways.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Just a ways over the Golden Gate from San Francisco, in San Rafael, in the neighborhoods is The Panama. Very discreet place for an assignation, European rooms (my preference) for cheap with bath in hall, or swank suites. Down stairs is an excellent restaurant, really it all how you want it to be. No long halls hauling luggage, nearby gentle walks, shopping 4 blocks, lovely trees, and the restaurant is warm inviting, in short, lunch dinner fabulous, white table cloth breakfast for guests. I would want to own a hundred and one of these, in many burbs outside the city, yet truly close, only here Napa & Sonoma are very close, and Berkeley by the San Rafael Bridge, is the best bridge, completely a proximity yet apart from the Google bus system in SF and South Bay....

Room Tip: European is right, there's a shower or tub to choose, bathrobe provided, stay 3 days to sleep be...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Nestled at the bottom of the hill amongst the Victorians of Gerstle Park the twinkling lights in the conservatory danced at me every time we drove past on our way home, beckoning me to book dinner.

What a delight. An quirky, charming, laid back and delightful restaurant, intimate and cheerful. Delicious food, every course well measured, beautifully presented, sadly too large for my British stomach but every mouthful absolutely delicious.

The string quartet/band added a fun ambience, it was so sweet, romantic and lovely that I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Groveland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the Panama while in San Rafael for medical appointments. We had Mimi's Bungalow. It's simple yet luxurious. Beautifully funished with a delightful patio. We had friends over for wine and Hors'dourves in our suite, then dinner in the restaurant. Lovely all around. Dinner was great, even though staff was challenged to keep up with demand. Our dog was allowed to sleep next to my feet while we dined. A lovely night. Going back next month!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Fairfax, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I visited Panama Hotel Restaurant on December 2, 2013 for a group business lunch. This was my first visit in many years and I enjoyed my meal, as did everyone in my group. I ordered the Golden and Red Beet Salad and the Dungeness Crab in half avocado. Both items were delicious! The ingredients were fresh and the display was very nice. The group's orders ranged from salads, fish tacos to hamburgers; all looked good and everyone was happy! Service was very good and our group of 12 was placed in the enclosed patio area which was lovely. Panama Hotel is close to work so I plan to return more often now that I've rediscovered it. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Panama Hotel? Share your experiences!