“They have chicken wings!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #112 of 326 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Japanese, Noodle Shop
Boston, United Kingdom
“They have chicken wings!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This place is considerable much bigger than most ramen places I've been to. The ramen here is nothing special but they have my chicken wings. Even though the place is bigger than most, there is still a line during dinner times but quick turnover with good parking lot.

Visited March 2014

Redwood City, California
“Wish I had a better experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I remember when this restaurant was located closer to downtown San Mateo - I remembered it being pretty good and all these years haven't had the opportunity to come try since it moved. In the last week, I've gone twice, once with a friend because he was in the area and suggested it, and another time to give it a second chance since the first time I wasn't that hungry.

The first trip here, I ordered the pork belly with pork broth, and added corn. I also had the fried squid legs, and added corn to the ramen. The bowl of ramen itself was a good portion - there was a lot more noodles than I'm used to at a ramen place, but the broth was not extraordinary. As I stated above, I wasn't that hungry so didn't finish and chalked the experience up to the fact that I didn't have the appetite for it.

The second trip, there was a line, and they were taking people's orders while in line. When we got to the front, we were seated immediately, without placing an order - apparently they forgot this, and we did not receive a menu, or water for at least 15 mins, while watching them take orders and seat others, and clean up tables. After sitting there repeatedly looking at the server and workers, I finally spoke up and told them we hadn't received anything. They finally brought menus and took our orders. I ordered the pork belly again, this time with soy soup base. Again, the the portions were good, and the food tasted ok, but was not extraordinary. The added corn was a tiny fraction of what I received on the previous trip so I had to ask for more corn, but besides that it was passable.

Overall, service was terrible, food was mediocre, and even though we were seated, we still had to wait. I miss my ramen in LA - an Ramen Dojo was better tasting. I'll pass in the future.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Davis, CA
“Pork belly Ramen”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had pork belly ramen with pork garlic broth. Had to stand in line to get in. Its a very popular Ramen spot. Has lots and lots of reviews on Yelp. I just didn't think it was that great.

Visited August 2013
Sacramento, CA
“Tasty ramen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This restaurant serves excellent ramen with braised pork belly or roasted pork cheek. It was delicious!!! Everything was fresh and tasty.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burlingame, California
“A lot of waiting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the food very much. The waitstaff was overworked and we nearly had to tackle them to get tea or water.

I'd go back for lunch here again anytime.

• Visited June 2013