“Roomy with exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Kaysville, Utah
“Roomy with exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Plenty of room for our whole family, breakfast and dinner, and friendly, helpful staff. For the price, I couldn't believe it. I would definitely stay here again. My kids enjoyed going to the sport court to release some energy when it was not warm enough to go to the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Good day,
I hope you are having a terrific Thursday; I wanted to thank you for taking the time a writing a review for our property regarding your recent stay. This information will go a long way as it will help us continue or improve on the services that we provide to our Guest. I am glad to hear that you and your Family took full advantage of all the amenities we have to offer and that you all enjoyed your recent stay. I will pass this along to my Staff and hope to see you on your next visit to our area. If there is anything I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Sanmateogm@ih-corp.com
650-574-4700 Ext.400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have stayed at other residence in properties in and around 40+ miles of the hotel. And my favorite has always been Residence Inn. I have stayed here for almost 5-6 times as of now.

Except for the glass doors which give you an unsafe/some one is watching you feeling, the place is awesome.

Prompt responses from the staff. When my water heater was down, they immediately directed me to another room for bath (until my unit was fixed well they could have changed my room too but that did not happen and i am not complaining too).

The breakfast is also pretty much close to what I could eat.

Good parking space.
Awesome beds (in the single units; while the ones in penthouse are bad).
The alarm clocks are old styled and crappy in most of my visits.
Most of the kitchen utensils are sometimes practically unusable. The utensils when I try to use them for boiling vegetables, it turns multiple colours (red to black). I do not like microoven cooked food.
The soaps, shampoos are not replenished in the last day of the stay (I do not know why such a decision was taken). I stay sometimes for more than 3 weeks and even then this happens.

Room Tip: Try avoiding the rooms near the roads, you could hear the noise from the highways.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Good day Sir,
Thank You for taking the time and writing a review in regards to your recent stay and our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoy your stay with us and we are your prefer Hotel when you are in the area. It is refreshing to hear that my staff took care of you when you experienced a problem in your suite, but I am also disappointed to hear that we have not met or exceeded your expectations. I agree with you we have fallen short on some of the amenities we provide. I want to inform you that I am the new General Manager at this property and changes are taking place that will improve our services and the expectations of our Guest. I want to thank you for providing me with honest feedback as this will only help us get better and improve. If there is anything I can assist you with please feel free to contact me

Nanjing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Don't expect 5 star amenities, but rooms were clean, staff was friendly and location is wonderful. Stayed in a room with 2 levels with 5 of us total and it worked great for this. Likely when coming back to San Fran we will stay here.

Good day Sir,
First of I would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review of your recent stay with us. I am also glad to hear that the room type we provided you worked great for you and your party. I am also glad to hear that when you return to the area you will stay with us again. If there is anything else that I can do to assist you and to make sure we meet all your expectations please feel free to contact me.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at numerous Residence Inn hotels around the country. This one is average and has both good and bad things.

Good:

1. Location of this hotel is great. It is relatively close to the airport (SFO), during the weekend it's only 6-7 min drive, but if you rent a car, you need to account for tram transfer from the car rental return which is approximately 20 min. to the airport (it takes 30 from the airport to the car rental garage). I drove early Monday morning, and there was no traffic to the airport. I imagine it gets worse later in the day. This hotel is also not too far from San Francisco, while also not too far from Santa Cruz and Southern little towns.
2. Breakfast is great. There is a nice variety of hot and cold things for everyone's taste (eggs, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, make your own waffles...to name a few).
3. Rooms are decent size, although on a smaller size compared to the other Residence Inns.
4. The unit we had was really clean.
5. It's nice that it's a bunch of little townhouses, vs. a hotel, so there is less noise from slamming the doors at night and early morning, so all in all a lot quieter then other Residence Inn that are more like a hotel.
6. Staff at this hotel was helpful and polite.

Bad:

1. They allow dogs, so people below us had a barking dog.
2. Even though they new that there are three people in the room, the cleaning lady kept leaving us only two bath towels! That was really annoying. On top of that, since I stay a lot at Marriott hotels, in my profile it states to leave extra towels, which obviously no one read.
3. The bottom units don't seem very safe if you are alone, since there are glass doors and windows, and anyone can walk through the property.

Room Tip: Request upper unit, away from the volleyball court.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Good day,
First of I want to thank you for taking the time and writing a review about your recent stay with us as this will help us to continue doing what our Guest love about our Hotel and improve on the areas that we are underperforming. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that this location and the amenities we offer were perfect for you. I do apologize for the guest pet that did not allow you and you’re Family to enjoy your stay even more. I will also bring it up with my Housekeeping Team about making sure that they replenish the room with the amenities according to the number of people occupying the suite. Once again thank you very much for this helpful information that will only allow us to get better. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Sanmateogm@ih-corp.com
Lima, Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We consistently choose this hotel for 2 reasons: the separated kitchen & the staff. This time all rooms were booked and we took to an extended stay america which also has in-room kitchens but were too cramped next to the beds, thankfully a room opened up at the residence inn and they were very helpful in accommodating us. That being said, the only caveat I foresee is the price ratio for the area, if the price per room keeps increasing and the amenities don't improve (i.e. dedicated high speed wi-fi, more or better staff organizational planning to move luggage and avoid misplacing personal items) the surrounding properties will look more appealing. The re-model has updated the look without making me feel out of place, plus with the complimentary breakfast buffet and afternoon meals the only reason to leave the hotel is for work or shopping/sightseeing/etc. Plus the extra amenities such as the pool, BBQ area, volleyball/basketball/tennis courts maintain a family friendly/healthy atmosphere.

Room Tip: 2nd floor units are roomier and mostly lofts which maintain a separate living area, office area &...
Good day Mr. Phillip,
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing a review about your recent stay here with us. I also wanted to say I am truly sorry for the inconvenience and lack of service you received from the Hotel and my Staff I will definitely bring this up to them to make sure we correct the issue's and improve our service so that our Guest always keep coming back. I am Glad to inform you that we are making several changes to the amenities that we provide our Guest and retraining our Staff to provide 100% satisfaction to all of our Guest and their needs. Once again Mr. Phillip I apologize for getting your stay with us not off to a good start. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The staff here is top of the line. The facilities could use some updating. Always request an upstairs room to avoid noise from above. Well stocked breakfast room. The fully equipped kitchen is a great feature. I had no trouble with the WiFi but I was only using the public computers in the lobby.

Room Tip: Always reserve an upstairs room and be sure to stay in the middle of the hotel to avoid road noise
.Good day,
I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my Staff delivered service up to your expectations. I will pass along this note to my staff. Again thank you very much for choosing our Hotel as your Home away from Home. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here May 2013 and left a rather nice review. That short trip I had one of the larger rooms and didn't spend much time here to really experience that property. I've now stayed here the past 3 weeks (my company forces us to stay here for the corp rate) and have a better understanding of how terrible this place is. First off, the staff are wonderful - nothing bad to say about them at all.

This being said... Hot water here is often in short supply, I've taken more than 1 cold shower and even worse, shaven with cold water. Wifi consistently goes offline, I'm writing this on my verizon connection because the wifi is currently out. When I mentioned with the front desk, they're fully aware of the wifi issues.

My room this week (614) smells like urine. The upstairs floors are paper thin and I have a stomper upstairs that has kept me up late all week. I've had rooms with burnt out bulbs (one currently this week), porch light is burnt out, carpet stained (probably the urine from previous guests).

This is an abandoned car in the parking lot not too far from the office. Tags expired 2 years ago, spider webs over the tires and connecting to the fenders so it's obvious it's been there for some time. What sort of place would let that stay there??

I've stayed in some great Marriotts and some pretty low end Marriotts. This is in worse shape than most fairfield inn's and about as nice as a Motel 6 I can only assume.

We are doing our best to get our company to change to another hotel, us field employees hate coming to San Mateo because of this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn down the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SanMateoGM, Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Ron M,

I would like to extend a sincere, personal apology that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Our guests' comfort is a top priority for us, and I am so sorry that this was compromised during your recent stay. Your comments regarding the lack of hot water and cleanliness are of particular concern to us; and just this week we have launched a preventative maintenance program for our water heaters to ensure your experience is not repeated. Our engineering team has also addressed the lighting concerns you mentioned in room 614, and will also be inspecting your previous rooms for similar issues. I cannot thank you enough for providing such valuable feedback, and assisting with our constant pursuit of improvement.

While I completely understand your concern about returning to our hotel, I do hope we have the opportunity to remedy your initial impression. Should you be returning to the San Mateo area in the future, please contact the hotel directly at (650) 574 - 4700 so that we can personally see to your accommodations.

Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo? Share your experiences!