“Nice quiet hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 hotels in San Mateo
Penetanguishene, Canada
“Nice quiet hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed 7 days here while visiting San Francisco and area. Nice breakfast area. Room was clean and a nice size for a week stay. Had a fridge and microwave.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

pretty on the outside, not on the inside, our closet door was broken, couldn't hang our clothes, our fridge door was broken, kept falling off, bathroom mirror was dirty, our bed had a dirty comforter, it was not nice, why did we stay you ask, it was Thanksgiving and my children lived whithin walking distance.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty, falling apart room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

I stayed at this hotel because it was the most inexpensive hotel I could find close to the maker faire. The staff was excellent and so accommodating. The area is decent.
The breakfast consisted of fruit, bagels, toast, cereal, juice and coffee which was fine by me.
The fee wifi worked good and the parking is convenient.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I was prepared to rate this hotel much higher, until the first half of my morning shower was COLD! I waited and waited for the hot water to come on and finally had to get in because it was getting late. Had the hot water not come on halfway through my shower I would have rated my experience here terrible.

• Liked — Computer access, cheap rate
  • Disliked — Cold shower
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ocean Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

San Mateo ... convienent to San Francisco and SFO airport. Probably the best kept secret in that area of California. The first impression of the property is "motor lodge" and "outdated", but I soon found out the first impression was what contributed to it's charm. The staff were superb, I never felt like I was an inconvience to them, friendly and helpful to the end. After a few days there, we felt like "family" and were welcomed by our names when we went for breakfast or to ask a question about the area. There is a lot to see and do in San Mateo, many wonderful places to eat within walking distance or a few minutes by car. This place is right off a major freeway which connects to the Interstate, so getting around was no problem. We used it as a jumping off point to sight seeing in the San Francisco area, and found it was also easy to get to San Jose and a breathtaking drive along the coast up to San Francisco. I know the price of hotels in San Francisco were close to double what we paid, so it's a travelor's bargain. The rooms are close to one another, no closer than other hotels we have stayed in. The room was comfortable and well furnished. Rooms were cleaned daily with fresh linen and towels. When I travel to San Francisco again, I won't have to worry about where I'm staying ...

• Liked — The way we were treated.
  • Disliked — Not enough rooms!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Wanting to visit San Francisco and not pay a lot for a hotel, I was able to book the Howard Johnson through my Entertainment Book for $67 a night. When walking into the room, we found it to be adequate. The bathroom was in need of remodeling, and there was water on the floor. Since the maintenance man was not available, we had to wait until the next day to solve the problem. We put towels on the floor around the toilet and waited. The problem was not able to be fixed immediately (new toilet needed), so our room was changed. The new room had been remodeled. It had a nice bed with a feather quilt, nicely shaded table lamps, a comfortable chair (besides the desk chair), a tub with a shower that worked well, and a new toilet. The room also had a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot.
A continental breakfast was provided daily. Cereal, juice, bagels, toast, coffee, and a few other foods were provided. This was good for my needs, but if you crave a home cooked breakfast, there is a restaurant down the street called Heidi's Pies which had excellent food and pies..
We did not use the pool, as the weather was a bit cool.
The staff was very helpful with all of our needs.
I would recommend this hotel to those who want to see San Francisco and the areas surrounding it.

• Liked — The quick response to problems
  • Disliked — Having to switch rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

Had to stay at this place solely for it's location. We paid $88 on a Saturday night for this hotel including taxes. The room was fairly nice and it must have been remodeled recently because the furniture seemed new and it was freshly painted. The room was average and what I expected. But, the shower was absolutley terrible. I felt I paid too much for what I got - but I guess it was the price it was for location.

Overall the room was average and it was on a busy road that had lot's of stores and resturants. I probably wouldn't recommend it to a friend only becuse it was a little expensive.

• Liked — Location and easy to get to from the freeway
  • Disliked — The shower and the price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - San Mateo? Share your experiences!