“A third world hotel matched only by it's appalling customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel to your Saves list
San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 North Bayshore Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94401 (Formerly Comfort Inn Airport South)   |
Ranked #10 of 13 hotels in San Mateo
San Francisco, California
“A third world hotel matched only by it's appalling customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

When the wait for the hotel shuttle takes longer than the flight to San Francisco you know it's going to be a bad experience. We were not disappointed as the 2 hour wait for a shuttle was matched by the constant lying by the staff thar the shuttle was minutes away.

We gave up and took a taxi to the hotel. Then to be told that the shuttle had crashed on the freeway and that they did not even have their own bus but a shared shuttle.

We retire to the room which was dirty but we are to tired to care. The hair dyer did not work but wet hair won't kill anyone especially when you just want to flush your hotel experience out of your mind. A hot shower always helps - oh not at this hotel with no water pressure and the shower head spraying out at 90 degrees with a leak soaking the bathroom.

No matter let's leave for the next flight. Oh we can't leave .... we are then told that as we did not book a shuttle we have no room for you. The US Airways crews were getting taxis and some learned souls had a seat on the 5 seat shuttle. 5 seats on a shuttle you need to reserve. Brilliant concept for an airport hotel. Of course no employee told us that we need to reserve a seat.

In the days of amazing customer hotel service this third world hotel should be shuttered and the staff banished to the unemployment lines. They are clueless about honesty to a customer or what service entails.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, better to sleep on the floor at SFO than waste your time expecting a quality stay.

Room Tip: Sleep on floor at airport if you must than risk this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for one evening prior to our morning flight out. Arrived 10:30pm and left at 4:30am. We called for shuttle information on route to the airport and got disconnected several times for various reasons. Did get shuttle service though, which worked very well. The desk clerk was a bit rattled. She was answering phones and checking people in all at the same time. The room was clean and hotel is a good option for a stay near the airport

Stayed July 2014
California Desert, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

So I needed to stay at SFO one night to catch an early flight out. It was the fourth of July holiday and everything was either booked or the prices were too high. So decided on this hotel for about 160.00. Arrived at SFO and just missed the shuttle. It would be 30 mins.for the next shuttle. I decided to take a taxi... $30.00 later for the taxi and I arrived at the hotel. If you want a hotel that has a bedroom this is the way to go. It was a large space. My room was next to the freeway but with the double pane windows and the window air conditioner running, the noise was really quite. The neighborhood was kinda of in a run down area. The hotel was good for the amount of money I spent. It had a separate living room. It has a Holiday Inn next door with a restaurant; if your in the mood for some hamburgers or mexican food. I bought a bottle of wine and took it back to my room! The bed was very comfy and the room was clean. Left too early in the morning to see what kind of breakfast was served. Just make sure that you get a room with the white sheets. The only neg. was the loud window air conditioner! Would book this again!

Room Tip: Newer upgraded rooms with the comfy white sheets!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I wanted to write a positive review for this place because I was surprised there were so many negative ones. My husband and I were staying on a friends floor and finally had enough and decided to get a hotel room. Booked on KAYAK and it was a great deal! The room was very basic- table, chairs, TV, and a queen size bed. Typical minimal hotel decorations. I liked the toiletries they gave us- Coconut Verbena scented. We got a really filling continental breakfast in the morning that was good.
You can sign up for airport shuttle which I believe left every 30 minutes. The driver was very nice and we made it to the airport in no time! If you ever need a place to stay that can take you to the airport the next morning, this is the place.

My only complaint is that the bathrooms could have been a little cleaner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The place is part of the Holiday Inn complex all contained on the same site, which sets a standard this has adopted

Crisp, clean linen and a comfy bed go a long way to making me like a property, although this was a bit impersonal by design the staff were very friendly and polite, I spent 20 minutes with one girl as she did all she could to my iPhone and iPad to get an internet connection

Luckily they have a very handy business station next to the main desk so I was able to get online booking sorted

Apart from the rubbish WiFi this place is faultless for an overnight stay whichever way your travelling

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a group. My only complaint is that the lift was very small. Other than that, the Rooms were very comforftable with a microwave, fridge, clean toilets, large TV, very comfy bed, good a/c. Being part of a group we were picked up and dropped so the location wasnt of concern, but otherwise, I think is a bit way off in the middle of no where ! If you have transport, this is a value for money hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a great value hotel. The amenities are what you want in a family oriented and business friendly hotel. I appreciate the included breakfast and the fresh baked cookies at night. I have 2 concerns. The rooms need to provide a guide to the tv channels and the wifi needs to be improved upon quite a bit. The desk needs to provide explicit instructions on how to connect, but more importantly the wifi needs to be more reliable. The are apparently 3 connecting points for wifi and on at least 3 of those days I was unable to connect with any of them.
Ended up using my phone for most of my emailing, etc..
I still would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. I really like it. The shortcomings should be addressed though.

Room Tip: It seems people prefer the east wing, but I had no problem staying in the other wing. I liked the ac...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!