“Smiling faces & good Banquet Halls.” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Clara, California
“Smiling faces & good Banquet Halls.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I Recently I dropped off a visiting friend to the Holday Inn & Suites. There, once again, I saw Rema at the front desk. I was thrilled to see that she'd came back to the Hotel. She helped me & my associates with the banquet room for our meeting in The Christina Room they called it, I believe. - it was 2yrs ago, but I found her to be a very cheerful lady. I would have written my reviews in traip advisor a long time ago but as I saw her, I felt like commenting on this hotel and its welcoming staff.
Thanks again Rema and all.

Room Tip: I only use the Banquet room for a meeting.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Less than 10 mins from the airport and around 30 mins to san Francisco, we used this hotel for a short weekend and have been very happy with the choice.
The staff was friendly, the room spacious and very clean and quiet, with a big parking lot.
We were very tired due to an intercontinental flight and decided to eat in their restaurant the first night and although it's not exciting the food was good and the atmosphere ok.
Recommended if you don't mind driving and want to avoid the crazy prices of san Francisco.

• Stayed May 2013
hisanmateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hello 4cranbourne,

Thank you so much for your comments. It was very good to have you stay with us, and your comments are insightful and helpful for other travelers thinking of staying with us.

Yes, we are very conveniently located near SFO International Airport, and local public transportation system. We feel we are just "a hop, skip and a jump" from the big city excitement of San Francisco, but we're quiet and small enough to be able to serve the needs of many of our Guests - in a more personal manner.

I am very happy to hear that our staff was friendly, and that you found our rooms acceptable. We feel we have a very special property here, and are very proud to be a good, comfortable stop for travelers.

While our restaurant is not as exciting as some of the many fine dining choices in this area, we hope that the simple fare is tasty and hearty. The goal of our Bistro 330 is to achieve the highest quality food service, and room service, while maintaining a casual atmosphere. Many Guests enjoy our full Bar and our varied menu, but as always, we are happy to have feedback so that we can become even better.

Please let me know when you have an opportunity to stay with us again, and I will make every effort to ensure continued great service. Thank you again for your feedback.

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

After a horrific experience at another hotel, I was pleasantly surprised by the cheerful staff and bright, airy rooms. The spotless rooms are incredibly large for the price, the bathroom was immaculate, and the internet was free. Maybe it was a slow night, but the hotel was probably the quietest I've ever experienced. The one criticism I would have is that the room smelled faintly musty and it seemed to be emanating from the bathroom. I spent approximately 8 hours here, but thoroughly enjoyed my short stay. If I ever find myself in need of a room near SFO, I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
hisanmateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Najwa S,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I know there are many choices out there, and that you stayed with us, and enjoyed your stay, means we are doing something right!

I am a bit concerned about the quality of the "faint room odor" you mentioned. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in their work, and any time we don't meet expectations, we are determined to redouble our efforts. Thanks for letting us know about the issue.

Your comments about our staff were heartfelt and well received - Thank you! We look forward to having the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

Holiday Inn & Suites, San Mateo CA
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Good large rooms. Well kept and maintained. Same for the grounds.
Sadly, reception counter staff, 2 at different times, do not have the disposition to be in the hospitality business.
Mm maybe. my sense is that they feel that they feel that they are owed the job.
I was quite happy to do the Hospitality Inn "Express Checkout" - just leave the key cards in the room and hightail it - no need to face the staff again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tanaki47,

Thank you for your honest review of our property and of our staff. Reviews like yours help us to improve our customer service, and serving our guests is our "job #1".

While I am glad you felt our rooms to be comfortable, it gives me pause to hear that our staff presented a less than perfect level of service. I will use your review to counsel our Guest Service Representatives on how they might better present a more cheerful attitude.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to do better on a return visit. Thank you again for staying with us.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel has a good location near the airport, and is a short drive into the City. The room we got was clean and of a good size. There is also a great Mexican eatery around the corner, El Palenque Taqueria, at Kingston Street.

However, the front desk staff were sadly the most disinterested I have seen in a long time - one was eager to pass tasks off to the next shift when we made inquiries ("Come back tonight, I'm only working here for two days."), while another was distracted with typing what I can only assume was a personal message on her iPhone, keeping us standing there waiting for a good half minute or more. Holiday Inn really needs to train its staff better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear captainjill,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst we pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept our apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our staff. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in a 2 room suite. Not too shabby. I had a few friends over and we had an amazing time. The front desk staff could be more friendly but overall I was happy with how my birthday turned out!! I might end up booking a room here again soon because the size of the room for the money I paid was amazing!!! Next time I'm thinking about trying the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Jessica H,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel for your Birthday Stay! We are very fortunate that you chose us, as there are so many great places to choose from.

I am sorry that our Front Desk Staff was not up to your expectations. We have been striving to become more welcoming and friendly here on the Front Desk, and it looks like during your stay we didn't quite make it. Please know that I will be passing your feedback on to the staff so that we can work harder at being more welcoming.

I am glad you found our double bedroom suite comfortable. We have some very nice rooms here, and try hard to keep them clean and comfortable. Please do try our Bistro 300 on your next stay with us. We feel we have a top notch dining experience here, and our Director of Food & Beverage (Gustavo V.) works hard to keep everything great here.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I look forward to speaking with you on your next stay with us,

Matthew Reeve
Guest Services Manager
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms are good size, and very clean. The staff is helpful. Location is right on the 101 freeway, but did feel the noise at all. In fact, it was the noise of kids running upstairs that woke me. Also, the A/C is very noisy

Two comments. If you are sensitive to noise then get a room on the upper floor. If your life depend on Internet, this hotel my not be for you. The wireless is very weak and slow. The wired is interrupted on/off all the time. It is rather sad that they don't solve such a simple inexpensive problem,

Room Tip: f your life depend on Internet, this hotel my not be for you. The wireless is very weak and slow. Th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Sam F,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is disappointing that to know that you were inconvenienced by the condition of the air conditioning system and Internet connection being slow. However, despite this I am happy that you found our rooms to be clean and staff service to be helpful.

Again, many thanks for the candid feedback and I hope we get the opportunity of hosting you again soon.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!