“Decent, convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Decent, convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is just off the 101 and very convenient for going to SF, getting to the airport and generally going around this area. The room was pretty large, nice, very clean even including a little side table.
The staff were very friendly checking us in and helpful throughout the stay. When we stayed (March 2013) the technology was pretty bad, wifi juts non existent for most of one morning whiel we were trying to determine what to do, the television also had rotten reception. The staff was accommodating and with a little nudging comped us breakfast to make up for inconvenience which was a really nice way to deal with this inconvenience and left me feeling this was dealt with appropriately.
We ened up feeling we had a good experience and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This Holiday Inn was very clean. However, the AC in my room would only run for a little while and then it would turn off. Very frustrating. Also, be aware that breakfast is not included. The do have a restaurant but the coffee was horrible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Shortbull,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We apologize for letting you down on some aspects of your stay and would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently enjoyed a four night stay at the San Mateo Holiday Inn. This gem is situated just off the 101, close to the SF Airport and offers an airport shuttle for customers. This facility was sparkling clean. The rooms are large and comfortable with free Wi-Fi which met our business requirements. For those who may like to get a little fresh air and exercise during your travels, you can simply head two blocks over to the trails at coyote park and also enjoy a fantastic view of the ocean along the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway and you`ll enjoy traffic-free noicse and awake rested and refre...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Holiday Inn in San Mateo, CA is great hotel for a quick business trip. It's in a wonderful location and just 5 minutes from some great restaurants . . and right of the 101 close to SF Int'l Airport. Saved a bunch of money too, they have a friendly staff and great room design for the business traveler.

Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I often stay at Holiday Inns around the world. The rooms are fine, and the welcome is nice and professional. The bottle of water or snacks given to frequent travellers are appreciated.
Nothing really negative except the wifi.
Well my only question is why is the wi-fi so slow with Holiday Inns? Whether it is at Marseille, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston or wherever, wi-fi speed is always throttled back. Is there a corporate guideline for this?
I wish that I could enjoy high speed internet, as such, high speed. I can never watch my slingbox for example (because the speed is so slow).
That's my only problem. Apart from that, this is a fine hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
hisanmateo, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel. I would like to thank you for posting such
good things about our property and staff.

I would like to apologize for the slow internet. We are running the highest download / upload speed available but have found that our wiring needs to be updated. We are in the process of getting these upgrades completed. I am hoping you will give us another try when you are in our area so we can meet all of your expectations associated with staying at a Holiday Inn.

If you are planning another trip to San Francisco and would like to give us another try please
do not hesitate to call.

Kind Regards,
Chris Roman
General Manger
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I needed a hotel for a brief stay the night before an early AM flight out of SFO. This place wasn't cheap, but the reviews seemed like it might be wotth $100+ for one night. My room was clean and the hotel is well located, about 10 minutes drive time to SFO. However, the place was poorly insulated against noise. My room on the first floor was adjacent to the outdoor parking lot and let in lots of auto sounds, as well as headlight beams into my room (even with the shades completely closed). In fact, the outside sounds were loud enough to make me think that my window was open -- but it was not. There was a occupant in the room above me and their walking made constant creaking sounds through my ceiling. A group of talkative guests came through the hall, with all of the sounds bleeding through the door into my room. Beyond this, the room was large, but minimally furnished with a small TV far away from the bed. Felt rather cavernous. Finally, the room cost includes absolutely no extras -- not even complimentary brewed coffee in the lobby. That said, their restaurant is pretty nice, and well staffed. Anyway, I won't stay there again. Hotel costs with a minimal motel feel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear gmansc,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Janice A
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The good:
Easy to get to, within minutes of SFO, just off the 101.
The restaurant is a hidden gem - full bar, nice range of dinner choices, good service.
My room was huge.
The SFO airport shuttle is dependable and easy.

The bad:
Free WiFi is advertised. For my entire 1 night stay from my room, in the lobby, in the restaurant, I tried connecting on my laptop, smartphone, and an iPad - the signal was weak and or at capacity. I nevter got on the Internet.

The ugly:
Hotel staff are well aware of the problem and are instructed to record your room number. why I asked, thinking the rate would be comped. "No, it's just to provide the WiFi people with rooms/areas hard to connect." I said isn't this a little crazy - you can't connect anywhere, you're full tonight, We could solve the problem with a high capacity wifi router. Response from staff: "yes, we know." Incidentally, from my room window I actually had plenty of signal from the nearby Comfort Inn. I was tempted to call and ask them for the pw. Better yet, maybe the HI can ask the Comfort to add the HI guests to the Comfort wifi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear regman2all,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for your nice comment regarding the restaurant and room.

However, We’re sorry about the poor internet connection. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!