“noisy and minimal” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Cruz, California
“noisy and minimal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I needed a hotel for a brief stay the night before an early AM flight out of SFO. This place wasn't cheap, but the reviews seemed like it might be wotth $100+ for one night. My room was clean and the hotel is well located, about 10 minutes drive time to SFO. However, the place was poorly insulated against noise. My room on the first floor was adjacent to the outdoor parking lot and let in lots of auto sounds, as well as headlight beams into my room (even with the shades completely closed). In fact, the outside sounds were loud enough to make me think that my window was open -- but it was not. There was a occupant in the room above me and their walking made constant creaking sounds through my ceiling. A group of talkative guests came through the hall, with all of the sounds bleeding through the door into my room. Beyond this, the room was large, but minimally furnished with a small TV far away from the bed. Felt rather cavernous. Finally, the room cost includes absolutely no extras -- not even complimentary brewed coffee in the lobby. That said, their restaurant is pretty nice, and well staffed. Anyway, I won't stay there again. Hotel costs with a minimal motel feel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear gmansc,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Janice A

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The good:
Easy to get to, within minutes of SFO, just off the 101.
The restaurant is a hidden gem - full bar, nice range of dinner choices, good service.
My room was huge.
The SFO airport shuttle is dependable and easy.

The bad:
Free WiFi is advertised. For my entire 1 night stay from my room, in the lobby, in the restaurant, I tried connecting on my laptop, smartphone, and an iPad - the signal was weak and or at capacity. I nevter got on the Internet.

The ugly:
Hotel staff are well aware of the problem and are instructed to record your room number. why I asked, thinking the rate would be comped. "No, it's just to provide the WiFi people with rooms/areas hard to connect." I said isn't this a little crazy - you can't connect anywhere, you're full tonight, We could solve the problem with a high capacity wifi router. Response from staff: "yes, we know." Incidentally, from my room window I actually had plenty of signal from the nearby Comfort Inn. I was tempted to call and ask them for the pw. Better yet, maybe the HI can ask the Comfort to add the HI guests to the Comfort wifi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear regman2all,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for your nice comment regarding the restaurant and room.

However, We’re sorry about the poor internet connection. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

As prior,reviews stated.cant beat location literally on exit 417 on rt. 101 north.
Five minutes from downtown san mateo and coyote point (not large by peninsula standards but includes trails,art museum and small zoo).Some staff nice (housekeeping),some half and half (front desk and lounge)_reviewer who cited body language and attitude hit nail on the head. When i sit down for breakfast,i dont expect to ask for drinks but at night the bartender whos also expected to handle all tables couldn't have been nicer. My checkin was granted early (so appreciated as i had to dump luggage enroute to picking up four family members in san jose),yet when my son went to front desk to ask for additional towels for a family of five in a two rm suite (nice room,) the clerk looked at him like he had two heads and ordered him to housekeeping.For the record,proper protocol is to make the call yourself.not make the guest run all over the facility. The only real criticism of this site is that the,wifi is terrible,we had multiple devices from both apple and Android and had sporadic if no service at all.Granted its free,but in this day and age its unacceptable.My complaint to front desk was greeted incredulously. It maybe a h.i..problem as ive experienced same situation on east coast...Overall for less tha $200/night good value.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear scrapmetal,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you liked the location. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the unsatisfactory WiFi connection. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here eighteen months ago, and was very impressed. When I needed a place to stay at SFO the night before my very early morning flight, I knew where to go. The rooms are spacious, and comfortable, and the restaurant was very good. Since I didn't have a car, it was important for me that the hotel had a restaurant. The meal was good, and the Happy Hour a bonus. This hotel is a newer property among the other hotels at SFO. The courtesy shuttle driver was Ramon, and he made me feel most welcome. I checked in early without any problems. I highly recommend this hotel when you need to stay at SFO.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here November of 2012 to go to a football game (geaux saints!) because it was near the airport and somewhat close to the stadium. This place was AWESOME! I work for a super high end hotel in Vegas and I have high standards. This place did not disappoint. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Good location, too. I don't believe it serves breakfast, but they did give me a coupon to dine at a restaurant nearby. Overall I would recommend this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel two times. Once was a few years ago; the most recent in October 2012. In many ways, it gives exactly what you expect from a Holiday Inn, but to me it seemed cleaner and more updated ones that others I have experienced in the past. This is not to say that other Holiday Inns are dirty--they are clean--but this one seemed just very clean. I don't know if the hotel had recently updated or renovated its rooms or not, but it had that clean from being new or renovated look. We were given a very large double room with two queen-sized beds. It had a large table, a large chest of drawers and a good closet area. The bathroom was also large and very clean. The room was a long walk away from the front desk, but that's fine. There is easy access into the hotel--provided you have a room key, so you can park and get to your room easily after you check in. The hotel has plenty of FREE parking. We never had a problem finding a space for our car. Some of it is covered parking.
I really cannot comment on the hotel's staff; my dealings with them were superficial. Basically checking in and checking out. My impression is that they were properly polite, but I didn't feel a sense of helpfulness or cheerfulness exuding from them. Of course, that is my subjective opinion based on very limited contact. But body language, tone of voice and the like can tell you a lot and, while polite and professional, it was not warm or friendly. I got these impressions both at check-in and at check-out. But again, these actions were both done so fast that my impressions could be mistaken. We did have the toilet back up once; we called and the repairman came within 10 minutes. He was polite, fixed the problem quickly, cleaned up his work area and we had no further problems. Everything was as good as new. He was very professional, so that experience with hotel personnel was positive.
The hotel is in San Mateo, California, right off the 101 highway, which makes it very convenient for travel in the San Francisco peninsula. It is almost next door to the Coyote Point park, which is a large wilderness area that extends out to the San Francisco Bay. The area is about 5.8 miles south of the San Francisco Airport. This means you can get into downtown SF by going directly north on the 101 or you can get to Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, the San José Airport and San José by heading south on the 101. You can also get to the Bay Bridge or further south, to the Dumbarton Bridge to get to the East Bay or the Oakland airport. Or you can get on the 380, which runs from the airport west to the 280 highway, which parallels the 101 but goes through the central peninsula. The 280 will take you north to the eastern portion of San Francisco, or south to the southern edge of San José. It's a pretty drive, too, as much of it runs through open country along the mountain range that runs down the SF Peninsula.
The hotel does have a bar and restaurant, which we did not use on the last trip, which is probably a good thing, as there really isn't any place to eat in the immediate area of the hotel. There are two other hotels lined up on the same street. However, one of the nice things about the Peninsula cities like San Mateo is that they all have nicely developed downtown areas where you can park, walk and window-shop and find a lot of different good restaurants, many of which are not expensive at all. The downtown area in San Mateo is nice. We liked it. If you drive north and get on the 380, then exit north on El Camino Real, you will find a large area of stores. The Tanforan shopping mall is there just north of the 380 and has a Target and a J.C. Penney's, along with other stores and restaurants. There are also grocery stores in the vicinity.
We have stayed at this hotel twice. It was affordable, convenient, clean and comfortable. It is not a luxury hotel with hotel staff serving your every qualms or interested in stroking your ego. But that also annoys me when done in excess. When we travel, we want safe, clean, comfortable, convenient hotels. This hotel meets our needs. If the price is right, we will stay there again. I would particulary recommend this hotel to anyone who is not specifically wanting to explore only the city of San Franciso. Although access is easy (there is a BART station next to the Tanforan mall I had mentioned above) to San Francisco and the hotel parking is free, there are hotels closer to the city that are good, too. However, if you wish to explore the entire San Francisco Penisula, from San José to San Francisco, this is a great location from which to base your explorations. And you really do want to explore the whole Peninsula. It's one of the most fascinating places on earth!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Billings, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We came to California to visit family and decided to give this holiday inn a try and give us a change from the Hilton's we usually stay at. The hotel is beautiful and well kept but the staff ruined our stay here. Matt (the manager?) refused to honor our quoted rate that we had reserved online even though we showed him written proof of our reservation. Instead, he demanded we leave the hotel at midnight or he would call the police for no apparent reason. He said that the general manager is not in and won't be in until Monday and that we have to listen to him. He also stated that the reservation only exists if he says it does. It's a shame that such a beautiful hotel would have to depend on people such as Matt to greet and serve their guests. He was untrained unprofessional and an arrogant desk clerk. I will never again stay at this brand nor will any of my family or colleagues. I've been a business man for 20 years and i have never been more insulted and embarrassed in public than at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear QI_GM,

Irish V.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!