“Service is hit and miss” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Melbourne
“Service is hit and miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

First of all the hotel is like a rabbit warren with a weird layout of corridors which seem to go on for ever. The actual rooms are very McMarriott with the usual stuff you would expect to find. Appear clean and well maintained, good coffee maker in the room etc. The woman in the lobby cafe was kinda rude and unpleasant. They charge for parking despite having a massive parking area out front. Probably one of the better hotels in the area but there's not a lot of places to eat in the area unless you like trader joes over the road. The staff are sometimes nice then others are just bland. All the housekeepers are friendly though and say hello etc. Maybe they are the only ones who love their jobs!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and post your review I know it takes time and effort which is appreciated.

The Marriott San Mateo is definitely spread out and different than most hotels in the area which are the typical high raise buildings. In reading your concern regarding the lobby café, I also agree that anything less than friendly, outgoing, helpful and efficient service is not acceptable. We take a great amount of pride in the services that we provide and it appears that we did not consistently achieve our own service expectation during your last visit. I have reviewed your comments with my team to address the areas that require improvements.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future and recognize the progress we will have made upon your return. If you would like to reach out to me directly my email address is edg@marriott-sanmateo.com.

Cordially,

Ed Gunderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

First of all, the hotel itself is not bad though the room (mine was 1 bedroom suite) is pretty small. However they just cant get instructions right.

Ordered rollaway bed, wasnt in the room and worse was taken away on the 2nd day so had to re-ask again

Told them i will bear half day charge but i had to change my keys 4 times just to access my room on the check out day itself

Overall nice basic hotel to stay in but dont expect anybody carrying out anything but the very basic. Not worth the price

Stayed January 2014
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel is nicely located off the 101 - but a little hard to get to from there. Maybe it was GPS, but it was a little confusing. Paying to park at a hotel like this seems a little strange since it's pretty far from SFO.

I had my parking waived since my rate was so high given the salesforce.com conference that was happening.

It took almost 10 mins to walk to my room from the lobby. During this stay there was a tremendous rain storm and all throughout my floor there was leaking in the hallways - enough that multiple buckets were placed in the hallway. It smelled a little damp, but my room was clean.

I ordered room service one night here and it was quickly delivered, but the french fries were a giant stuck together pile of cold potato slivers. Not too appetizing to be honest.

The room itself was clean enough, but nothing to write home about. Overall staff was very friendly. Not sure I'll stay at this Marriott again unless the rates are much lower. I'd rather stay a little farther south and save some $ and driving time to Palo Alto.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

For an airport hotel, this place is tops!
The service was stellar. Things were anticipated before I even had to ask, staff were brilliant and the breakfast was of the highest quality. I have never had an actual proper bagel with smoked salmon before on a hotel buffet. I loved it, and the suite was as cute as could be.
Airport transport was also nothing but 5 star, though beware the shuttle stops at 915pm.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here for a night prior to heading to Novato. Our first time here. It was a great hotel - room was spacious and bathroom was huge. We went to the bar for a a night cap and I forget his name but the bartender was awesome and very friendly. Will definitely be back next time - hopefully longer than a night. :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and it was nice overall. We paid to have a one bedroom suite which also included champagne, strawberries, and complimentary breakfast. The room was nice and the location worked out well. It was about a 30 minute drive to San Fran each day. My only complaint about this hotel is there were tables for events left outside the hallways and next to our door the entire weekend. I'm not sure why, but it was a bit tacky looking at round wood tables each time we came and left our room. Other than that our stay was nice and we enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WarmRegards, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Cynthia_TravelGirl,

Thank you for choosing to make us a part of your special celebration. Although, we are delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your overall stay, we regret that there were event tables left in the hallways near your room. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we may ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Our staff hopes to have the opportunity to earn your 5 star review on your next visit to our area.

Kindly,
Ed Gunderson, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

First time here. Centrally located off of the 101 freeway and close to the 92. Shopping center is a hop, skip and a jump away. Restaurant and bar was fun and breakfast was great. They serve an all you can eat buffet with a drink for $20. Service was wonderful. Rooms, roomy with a coffee pot and fridge. There's a nice gym that I didn't get to try along with a whirlpool.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your first stay at our hotel! Thank you very much for submitting a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your compliments on our accommodations, amenities, location and great cuisine! On your next visit, we hope you will have the chance to take advantage of all of our amenities, including our state-of-the-art fitness center and heated outdoor pool and whirlpool. It was a pleasure to serve you and our staff looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards,
Ed Gunderson, General Manager

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!