We were returning from Honolulu and spent a layover night at the San Mateo Marriott. I wish I could think of words that would describe how truly thoughtful, kind and generous the entire staff at this hotel was to us, and reading other reviews, are to the many weary travelers who end up at their door. Most of us think of airport hotels as places to get a quick sleep before traveling on--an attitude that is pretty much shared by the staffs of those hotels. Here, the reception desk clerk asked me how my day was going and seemed to genuinely care that there had been snafus with our flight complicated by a long wait at baggage claim that had caused us to miss the shuttle to the hotel. (You should know that the shuttle only comes once an hour--the only downside I see to this hotel. Be sure you know and are prepared for when the shuttle will come.)
We had booked a rate that included dinner (2 pizzas and 2 sodas) which we were allowed to have either in our room or in the dining room. We chose the dining room and were surprised when the manager told us how sorry he was that we had had such a long wait and then surprised us with a complimentary dessert as a token of their regret. The pizza, by the way, was fabulous. While the crust was not the hand-made type of a pizzaria, it was certainly adequate, and the topping was more than adequate--in fact, fabulous. We ordered the meat lover's pizza and a margherita. It was hard to say which was better. We added (and paid additionally for) a Caesar salad which was fresh and crisp. The complimentary dessert was a great molten chocolate cake--better than many of this type that I have consumed in France. Needless to say, by the end of dinner, we were feeling a hundred times better than when we arrived.
We had reserved a small suite. This particular suite is small, but it is also beautifully decorated. When I walked in, my first thought was "this is a sweet suite." The two rooms are divided by sliding panels. The small living room has everything you could need from sofa (makes into bed) to desk and flat screen TV.
We left the next morning on the very early shuttle back to the airport and were at our gate about 30 minutes from the time we left our room. Our short visit did not give us time to experience the various amenities although the outdoor pool looked inviting. I assume that there are exercise facilities--but again, this was a sleepover.
I wish I could think of a reason to visit San Mateo. I would love to experience this hotel and its gracious staff again. I certainly will should I ever be laying over again at SFO. Truly, this was the kind of haven travelers are looking for but rarely find.
- Also Known As:
- San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport Hotel San Mateo
- San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport Hotel
- Marriott San Mateo
- San Mateo Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full-service Marriott convenient to San Francisco Airport and Silicon Valley. Deluxe accommodations feature guestrooms and suites. Restaurants, lounge, coffee shop, gift shop, business center, pool and spa, exercise room. concierge tower rooms with private lounge. 24,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Marriott, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.