“It would have been perfect but...” 3 of 5 stars

Paul Martin's American Grill
Hillsdale Shopping Center, San Mateo, CA
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Paul Martin's American Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 367 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
West Midlands
“It would have been perfect but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

The steak was over cooked. I asked for medium rare, but edging towards rare and it came out medium to well done.. It was delicious but not how I wanted it. Coupled with a forgotten drinks order I felt the experience wad ' ok'.
They have the potential if they go the bit further on service..

Los Angeles, California
“Totally disappointing meal for a party of 15”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I live outside of the Bay area and I decided to bring a party of 15 to this restaurant for a celebration this past weekend. With the exception of one in the party the entire group was from out of town and had never eaten at a Paul Martin's. The entire party was extremely disappointed with both the meal and the service. The food was quite average but the service was horrendous. They obviously were very short staffed as our waiter not only serviced our table of 15 but also at least 6 other tables that we counted. The meals and drinks were very slow to arrive and when they did they were constantly delivered to the wrong individual. In one fish taco dish, the fish was full of bones and had to be sent back. With all of our frustrations that we had this evening, at no time did a manager come over to speak to us. I would definitely not recommend eating at this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bay Area
“High Expectations, Big Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Hillsdale Shopping Center
This is part of chain
It has such great potential
We had high hopes for locally grown foods
Has inviting Happy Hours
The problem is the inconsistency in the food preparation and food service
Need more/better training for all staff

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great happy hour, overcooked steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Took a table at the bar and the bar staff were incredibly friendly, the service was great, and the happy hour beer selection (before 7pm) and prices were great. Unfortunately the New York cut steak was dry and overcooked. Atmosphere across the restaurant was lively and it was very busy, so others knew what to order!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Menlo Park
“Very popular for good reason”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my first visit to Paul Martin's Grill with friends for lunch, and I was impressed. While we waited for our table (be sure to make reservations) we enjoyed tall, hearty Bloody Mary cocktails at the bar. Garnished with long stalks of celery and rimmed lightly with salt, the cocktails were a great start to a very good meal. Freshly baked whole wheat sourdough bread was brought to our table, and it was delicious. It couldn't have been tastier. We started with an appetizer of the grilled artichoke with aioli. I'm not sure how it was cooked, but it was without a doubt the best artichoke I've ever eaten! My friends enjoyed the brick chicken with mashed potatoes, and I opted for the beautifully prepared and presented bistro burger with fries. We didn't leave a morsel between us, the food was so good. We finished off the meal with a huge slice of chocolate cake with a bittersweet ganache frosting and served with home-made marinaded cherries. Amazing! Fortunately we split the cake between the three of us or we wouldn't have been able to finish this generous portion of cake on top of our very ample lunch entrees. The service was courteous and attentive and the food arrived quickly and nicely plated. I understand this restaurant is a project of the team who created Fleming's Steak House. The tasteful modern decor looks very similar to Fleming's. Based on this first positive experience, I'll be coming back again soon.

Visited February 2014