“I always choose this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2175 S El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA 94403   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Monterey, California
“I always choose this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have to travel to San Mateo for my CPE, this hotel is quiet, free Wifi that actually works. The room is big and clean. The bed is great for a goodnight sleep. The price is great for what you get. Breakfast isn't great, but it is food. Stay on the second floor, since you can hear the overhead walking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place has a lot of potential. The rooms are off the street, so noise *should* be limited.

Pros: Good location. Great water pressure in the shower.

Cons: S-K-E-T-C-H-Y. NOT clean - hairs all over (not mine). Holes (burns) in the chair. Towels and sheets were dirty and/or stained. Phone, TV remote, light switches are disgusting. Carpet is stained all over the place and no one has ever taken a rag to the baseboards. Amenities are 1 bar of soap and a packet of shampoo. "Deluxe" breakfast consits of broken OJ machine, water, or milk that has been sitting out who-knows-how-long; bread, bagels, croissants, or packaged bear claws from Costco; and cereal - looks decent, but how long has that milk been out? Minimal hours - 6:-9: am for breakfast.

In short - stay AWAY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bandung, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I were in SF for the Diva Half Marathon last weekend and I opted, based on travelocity reviews and a price about $30-$50 less than big name hotels chose to go with the Stone Villa Inn. Okay so this place is reminiscent of a dated motel ... you know on those shows on TV where the guy gets evicted from his house and needs to find a hotel to stay permanently with a pool and neighbors (this place doesn't have a pool). Its located behind some train tracks about a mile from San Mateo's city center. After a recent remodel, the room itself was presentable, dare I say comfortable... fully capable of receiving a solid 3 stars as AVERAGE. Then at around 1130PM, my upstairs neighbors arrived and began walking around their room. This lasted until 130AM. They weren't being obnoxious or spiteful. But I had to hear EVERY creak, squeak, thump and bump as they walked around doing whatever they were doing. There is NO sound insulation between the ground floor and the second floor. So this hotel failed to provide me with a restful nights sleep and has earned one fabulous star for doing so. If you MUST stay at the Stone Villa Inn, demand a room on the second floor or pray you don't have an upstairs neighbor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We always stayed at another hotel in front when we go to town, but how the price is more affordable, we decided to change. Bad choice!! They reformed bedrooms, bathroom, but beds too soft, pillow horrible and flat, hears all the steps from the upper room and the tv in the next room. The breakfast is very poor, do not have anyone to see and to replace, if ended is ended. And if you'll just complain that comes a indian man who does not speaks english right and say "only tomorrow" if he does not know to solve the problem. Very bad, this happend 2x.
The breads are not fresh: buy several bags, freeze and go putting on weekdays (you feel it that is cold). The wi-fi is ok.

Room Tip: maybe try a upper rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Found this place online with intentions of only staying one night. I had such a great experience combined with the cool neighborhood that I called to stay another night. The rooms are clean and simple but with all of the amenities you need. WiFi is free as is parking. I'd highly recommend this spot

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had a terrible experience at this place! Do not stay here. I stayed overnight on 3/6/13. In the early hours of the morning, I was woken up by what sounded like construction going on in the room above me. When I looked at my watch it was just before 5:00 a.m.! I called the front desk to inform them of what was going on. They told me they would look into it and that they would get back to me. They NEVER did. A short time later, I heard what sounded like a loud boom, followed by what sounded like weights being dropped on the floor. I called the front desk AGAIN to tell them what was going on and they told me they would look into it and call me back. Once again, they NEVER called me back. This banging on the floor continued until approximately 7:00 a.m. I called the front desk a third time, but nothing was resolved. By then, I had to shower and get dressed to leave for a funeral that I flew into town for. The front desk NEVER called me back or stopped the noise! When I went outside and looked up at the room above me to see what was going on, I realized it was ignorant guests who were leaving early that morning who had let their children run around and jump off the bed onto the floor, causing all the loud noise I kept hearing while I was trying to sleep. I went to the front desk to complain and ask why they never stopped the noise after I called three times to complain. The owner replied "They're nice people! They're no problem." What that was supposed to mean is beyond me. Obviously, the Inn felt that they had my money already, and they didn't care what I thought. I called Booking.com (who I booked this room with) and they said they would look into it. I wish I saw all these negative reviews before I booked a room at this horrible place. But I was going to a funeral at the last minute and was flying in from Chicago. I didn't have time. Big mistake! So I'm writing this negative review with the hope that whoever reads this won't have to go through what I did. I've traveled all over the world, and can honestly tell you this was the worst night at a hotel I've ever had and by far the absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced! Absolutely horrible. One last thing....When I told the manager that I was going to post this review, his reply was "We're not scared of you." What a way to run a business! All they care about is getting someones money for a first time stay. They obviously count on uninformed guests who are unaware how horrible this place is and stay here for the night to keep them in business. I bet they don't many guests that return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I rarely pick non-franchised motel-type places because there is usually a reason why they don't have a franchise. This hotel however had a location close to the airport and their pictures looked great, but our one night stay was marred with multiple issues: lobby smelled strongly of exotic foods, check-in staff was impersonal and unfriendly, we were given a room with a broken lamp shade and right outside our room the floor coating was ripped due to excessive bird pooping. The last one is strange because it was only the case outside our room (#211) and no where else. So I don't understand why we were given that room especially considering that 70% of the rooms seemed unoccupied on Monday night that we stayed. The final issue was the most bizarre however: there were only two pillows on our king-size bed for two and when asked for two more we were given two pillows without cases... and were told to stuff them in to the other pillow cases or put them underneath the sheets! How disgusting is that?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3.5 of 5 stars 115 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

Been to Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!