“Turned 1 night into 2” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
“Turned 1 night into 2”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Found this place online with intentions of only staying one night. I had such a great experience combined with the cool neighborhood that I called to stay another night. The rooms are clean and simple but with all of the amenities you need. WiFi is free as is parking. I'd highly recommend this spot

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had a terrible experience at this place! Do not stay here. I stayed overnight on 3/6/13. In the early hours of the morning, I was woken up by what sounded like construction going on in the room above me. When I looked at my watch it was just before 5:00 a.m.! I called the front desk to inform them of what was going on. They told me they would look into it and that they would get back to me. They NEVER did. A short time later, I heard what sounded like a loud boom, followed by what sounded like weights being dropped on the floor. I called the front desk AGAIN to tell them what was going on and they told me they would look into it and call me back. Once again, they NEVER called me back. This banging on the floor continued until approximately 7:00 a.m. I called the front desk a third time, but nothing was resolved. By then, I had to shower and get dressed to leave for a funeral that I flew into town for. The front desk NEVER called me back or stopped the noise! When I went outside and looked up at the room above me to see what was going on, I realized it was ignorant guests who were leaving early that morning who had let their children run around and jump off the bed onto the floor, causing all the loud noise I kept hearing while I was trying to sleep. I went to the front desk to complain and ask why they never stopped the noise after I called three times to complain. The owner replied "They're nice people! They're no problem." What that was supposed to mean is beyond me. Obviously, the Inn felt that they had my money already, and they didn't care what I thought. I called Booking.com (who I booked this room with) and they said they would look into it. I wish I saw all these negative reviews before I booked a room at this horrible place. But I was going to a funeral at the last minute and was flying in from Chicago. I didn't have time. Big mistake! So I'm writing this negative review with the hope that whoever reads this won't have to go through what I did. I've traveled all over the world, and can honestly tell you this was the worst night at a hotel I've ever had and by far the absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced! Absolutely horrible. One last thing....When I told the manager that I was going to post this review, his reply was "We're not scared of you." What a way to run a business! All they care about is getting someones money for a first time stay. They obviously count on uninformed guests who are unaware how horrible this place is and stay here for the night to keep them in business. I bet they don't many guests that return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I rarely pick non-franchised motel-type places because there is usually a reason why they don't have a franchise. This hotel however had a location close to the airport and their pictures looked great, but our one night stay was marred with multiple issues: lobby smelled strongly of exotic foods, check-in staff was impersonal and unfriendly, we were given a room with a broken lamp shade and right outside our room the floor coating was ripped due to excessive bird pooping. The last one is strange because it was only the case outside our room (#211) and no where else. So I don't understand why we were given that room especially considering that 70% of the rooms seemed unoccupied on Monday night that we stayed. The final issue was the most bizarre however: there were only two pillows on our king-size bed for two and when asked for two more we were given two pillows without cases... and were told to stuff them in to the other pillow cases or put them underneath the sheets! How disgusting is that?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hollister, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

1st start reading Bren S. “WARNING” posting on 3/16/13. I agree with her post 100%, I was with her. The SMPD Event was nice but the hotel a disaster. Here’s the additional information that was missed. They have a sign with an AAA Diamond Rating at the front desk. What happen to this place? Was this AAA sign real or not. I called AAA and they will be doing an investigation at this location. Only one lamp in our room and the shade looked badly, looks like someone fell on it. They attempted to reshape it but didn’t do a very good job. The clock was broken; at least it had the right time twice a day at 10:30. We had a message on our phone unable to get these messages; buttons didn’t work and no instructions on how to call the front desk. Need ice from the ice machine, OUT OF ORDER, looking back at previous reviews still out of order since 2012. Yes, they did have a flat screen TV but they keep the packing plastic on the base. How tacky! I’m just thankful that I brought my own traveling sheets; those sheets didn’t have a fresh smell or clean feeling to them. If my grandchildren were with me, the toxic bleach or ammonia smell would have made them sick. The bathroom had a straw basket that held the shampoo, conditioner and soap this was moldy. As long as you didn’t put the toilet seat down you would have never known how dirty it was. This really makes me sick, too dirty to talk about. The towels are paper thin but the hold idea two men asking to come in around 9:15am to take our towels. This could have put us into dangerous spot. I’ve never felt so unsafe. I can keep going on and on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hollister, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

MERCY ME where do I Begin. This place was HORRIBLE!!! I wouldn't have even given it a 1 star but had to choose. Stayed here to attend a San Mateo Police function. Firstly if you book online be prepared for them to charge your credit card immediately. We booked a month in advance, bill comes & we hadn't even gone there yet!! We called & were told if you book online you must pay upfront. WHAT??
Ok so now to opening the door to our room 112...Good God the room reeked of Ammonia so bad I nearly passed out. I was stunned to see a dirty toilet plunger in the bathroom leading me to believe, hmmm is there a problem here? Upon trying to sit along side the bed I nearly bruised my shins on the protruding bed frame & box frame sticking out because the top mattress did not fit properly. Oh It only gets worse. We were in a hurry to get to our function so we thought perhaps the smell would subside by the time we got back later. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget about flushing the toilet!! We had to plunge plunge plunge & it still did not resolve issue. I believe we had to put the air on because of the toxic smell (office was closed or would have demanded another room) so sickened with no where else to go due to the late hour we just went to bed. Paper thin pillows to boot! Thin walls. Heard everyone upstairs stomping around & taking showers. Somewhere in the night all of a sudden there was this gurgling noise coming from the bathroom....Yep....that darn toilet was finally draining. Oh wait it gets good here, we wake up & have to use the bathroom...NOPE no flush. SO my friend marches down to the main office & demands to use THEIR toilet & how ours was not even working. The woman speaks no English, the old man just did nothing, the son comes out (Indian family runs this Inn) & says, "Oh I will come fix it!" my friend said, "NO" your not coming into our room at this hour. So he gives my friend ANOTHER room key & says you may use this room. OMG my friend was utterly shocked when she opened the room (she was desperate @ this point to tinkle) & the freaking room was a room where the patrons had just checked out!!!! SERIOUSLY?!!?!? You couldn't give us a CLEAN room?? With that we began to get ourselves together to get out of there. I would never set foot in that shower. The ceiling paint was peeling apart & wouldn't dare go barefoot period. Forget about the breakfast. Cheap. At only 9:15 am (check out is 11am) we get knock @ door. There stood 2 young boys telling us they need to COME IN our room to TAKE our towels?!? WTH?? COME IN??? Oh heck no! How do we know who you are & how dare you even ask for our towels as if we were done showering (which we didn't dare)!! Finally I had enough of this and swung back open the door to scream @ these young men & just my luck the old guy was shuffling up the walk. I told him our room was disgusting, Horrible smell, filthy AND no acceptable toilet. He just mumbled it's ok, it's ok, so sorry, so sorry. SORRY???? Yeah right. I bet they booked our room with the bad toilet as soon as we checked out!!!!! BE WARNED DO NOT...DO NOT STAY HERE. Nice price point but shop around & find something else. PS....they had a Triple AAA rating too. Yes I will be contacting Triple AAA first thing Monday morning w/ my stern complaint!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bend, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

unfriendly staff, dirty room, nothing like the photos, orange juice machine not working for breakfast, don't stay here, fight in the parking lot sounded like staff, long black hair on chair in room, decent room, location good, good restaurants available nearby but staff refused to offer suggestions, bedskirt topsy turvy, the old tvs are still on the balcony.

Room Tip: fight in parking lot in the evening, unfriendly staff, hair on chair in room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel itself is standard and customer service is nice but no staff available on certain time like early morning or mid night. The room is nice flat screen TV, Fridge, microwave. The cons : Hotel is next to trucking company for metal supply, 1 block away from a crossing rail road intersection , and some construction company right next door. Talking about 4am in the morning trucks passing by and making tons of noise, trains crossing @ 8pm -12am & every 2 hours after mid night with blowing horn and crossing Rail sounds. This is the worst area to stay while on vacation. Wifi dont work @ all. If you really have to stay in San Mateo area pick another Hotel away from that block.

Room Tip: If u staying choose the 2nd floor level and avoid the rooms toward the end cause thats where waste t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!