“Great location for a long stay! Feels like home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1830 Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA 94404   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Sunnyvale, California
“Great location for a long stay! Feels like home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel from June 1st- July 5th 2014 with my dog. This hotel is in a great location. It is very close to Target, Safeway, CVS, the 101, and downtown San Mateo. I felt safe and comfortable during my entire stay. The staff were always very friendly and helpful. The room had been newly renovated. There was granite countertops and an assortment of cooking essentials. The room cleaning was done once a week and the room was always spotless afterwards. At breakfast there was always fresh coffee and plenty of snacks to choose from. This location is extremely pet friendly and they were accommodating to my dogs needs. I would recommend staying here whether you need somewhere to stay long term or just for a night.

Room Tip: I recommend a room facing the inner courtyard. Beautiful views of the fountain and an assortment of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Loganville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here for 12 weeks, April-June 2013, The title says it all, they give you exactly what they advertise and what you pay for. The one area they did good in for me was the customer service.
Very nice group, always a smile and always greeted me with respect and called me by my sir name. No ones fault but it is a little noisy during daylight hours, every door closing sounds like it was slammed. If I work in San Mateo again I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: I always stay on top floor of wood framed buildings.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I booked this hotel for 1 night only. Called their 800 number to book my reservation. I called the hotel and ask if they receive my reservation because I never received an email confirmation. the hotel staff can't find my reservation in their system and asked me to call back the 800 number to make sure that it was entered in their database/system. I called back the 800# and it took a while to find my reservation because, they misspelled my last name, and they didn't verify if the email address is correct (no wonder I never got an email). Finally, after being on the phone with their agent for over 20 minutes, they found my reservation#, verified my last name, and verified my email address.

I checked in their hotel, half hour before the check in time, and Antoni from the front desk was able to checked me in early. When I got to the room (#236), it has this unpleasant smell, that I have to turn on the blower in the bathroom, turn on the fan, and open the door so fresh air can come in but didn't help that much. I was so tempt to call front desk to ask for an air freshener. Then the fire alarm went off, not just once but twice that afternoon. I went out of my room because it is so loud, and it took a while for them to have the Fire Department check the building (thank God, there's no actual fire, must be some glitch in their system or someone pulled it). I booked a room that is non-smoking, but you can tell their rooms are not far from the smoking sections. I can smell someone smoking from my room.

I noticed that there's no shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom, only soap. I would suggest to have them replace the towels, it feels rough on the skin, coz I guess the towels are old. and it doesn't have that fresh smell. the mattress needs to be upgraded, it's hard on the back, you can feel the springs. Just stayed here for couple of hours, didn't even spend the night.

this hotel is ok for families that would like to save money, especially if they are staying for more than a night. they have kitchen that you can use and the hotel itself is close to Safeway, restaurants and close to the freeway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Lorie - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Still, I sincerely apologize for the reservation issues and the odors in your room. I will meet with the staff to review our reservations policy and cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, while we do not offer toiletries in our guest rooms, we do have an amenity basket available at the front desk for guests to enjoy upon request. As well, we are happy to exchange dirty towels for clean ones at the front desk.

If you would like to provide any additional comments, please feel free to contact me directly at, snm2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Feb. 18-April 3,2014. My husband was having radiation treatments at UCSF. Staff became friends during our stay. Very nice accommodations. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure all guests felt welcome. Nice kitchen area so we were able to cook a wide variety of meals.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re happy to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My review is based on the 2+ week stay and I hope this review will help others to make the right decision when choosing the hotels. There are many pros about this hotel but I am not going to mention it since it is already advertised in their website. I will only mention the cons I had actually experienced during my stay:

- The entrance door of the unit lock do not work at this hotel. It does not lock all the time. I mean, it really locks after trying several times if you are lucky. Everytime you go out, you have to make sure it locks properly. And, it does not unlock properly either because the card-key suddenly stop working. I have seen many people coming to the office to replace their card key. When they ask for new key, the stuff do not ask for identification. You can get any room's key by telling them that yours stop working and they will give it to you. I felt very unsafe about this. One day, I saw many police officers in the office and it looked like somebody in the community was arrested.

- The room stinks badly. From first day to the last day, our room smelled entirely east asian food. We had to wash everything we had in the room after we checked out.

- Do not expect you will get "grab go breakfast" at 8:30am. Their muffins and fruits runs almost out at 8:00am and they do not refill it.

- Internet is slow. They will ask you $10+ per day for "higher" speed internet.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked here for 2 weeks and I will put in my 2 weeks then go someplace else that is worthy of more than 1 star, which this place barely deserves. I wonder how many yard sales they needed to visit to collect the pots, pans, dishes, and utensils in this place. These places largely attract spouses who have separated - if that was why I was here, I'd be back with my wife in an instant. Cabinets are all particle board and look like they have spent time underwater since they are all bubbled and the laminate is peeling. Everything is dirty, sheets are scratchy and towels are thin and pillows uncomfortable. What's to like?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with our entire staff to review our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect future guests. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at snm2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Pasadena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Since other people will comment on the other hotel features, as usual I'm going to comment on the IT aspects of the hotel. And the news is not good. Let me list my complaints

- I reserved through the chain's web site. At NO point in the process was I told what the tax burden would be, only the usual "taxes will be added to the final bill".

- By entering a coupon code I got 20% off the bill. The web site handled this smoothly, but the hotel did NOT handle it smoothly, presenting me with a bill that did not reflect the 20% off.

- I reserved a non-smoking KING room. I was initially given a SMOKING king room, and when I complained about the smell, was given a non-smoking QUEEN room.

- The WiFi login process is some sort of amateur designed process that is fiddly and painful on a mobile screen, is deliberately designed to try to get you to click the wrong buttons so that you are paying for "higher quality" service, and requires you to re-authenticate every 24 hrs.

All in all, an extremely low-quality IT experience --- maybe acceptable in 1994, but we've had the internet for 20 years now, and the inability to use it properly is no longer a charming anachronism; it's like not understanding what your customers expect from electricity or running water.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!