“Wonderful facility and Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1830 Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA 94404   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
“Wonderful facility and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Feb. 18-April 3,2014. My husband was having radiation treatments at UCSF. Staff became friends during our stay. Very nice accommodations. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure all guests felt welcome. Nice kitchen area so we were able to cook a wide variety of meals.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re happy to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My review is based on the 2+ week stay and I hope this review will help others to make the right decision when choosing the hotels. There are many pros about this hotel but I am not going to mention it since it is already advertised in their website. I will only mention the cons I had actually experienced during my stay:

- The entrance door of the unit lock do not work at this hotel. It does not lock all the time. I mean, it really locks after trying several times if you are lucky. Everytime you go out, you have to make sure it locks properly. And, it does not unlock properly either because the card-key suddenly stop working. I have seen many people coming to the office to replace their card key. When they ask for new key, the stuff do not ask for identification. You can get any room's key by telling them that yours stop working and they will give it to you. I felt very unsafe about this. One day, I saw many police officers in the office and it looked like somebody in the community was arrested.

- The room stinks badly. From first day to the last day, our room smelled entirely east asian food. We had to wash everything we had in the room after we checked out.

- Do not expect you will get "grab go breakfast" at 8:30am. Their muffins and fruits runs almost out at 8:00am and they do not refill it.

- Internet is slow. They will ask you $10+ per day for "higher" speed internet.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked here for 2 weeks and I will put in my 2 weeks then go someplace else that is worthy of more than 1 star, which this place barely deserves. I wonder how many yard sales they needed to visit to collect the pots, pans, dishes, and utensils in this place. These places largely attract spouses who have separated - if that was why I was here, I'd be back with my wife in an instant. Cabinets are all particle board and look like they have spent time underwater since they are all bubbled and the laminate is peeling. Everything is dirty, sheets are scratchy and towels are thin and pillows uncomfortable. What's to like?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with our entire staff to review our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect future guests. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at snm2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Pasadena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Since other people will comment on the other hotel features, as usual I'm going to comment on the IT aspects of the hotel. And the news is not good. Let me list my complaints

- I reserved through the chain's web site. At NO point in the process was I told what the tax burden would be, only the usual "taxes will be added to the final bill".

- By entering a coupon code I got 20% off the bill. The web site handled this smoothly, but the hotel did NOT handle it smoothly, presenting me with a bill that did not reflect the 20% off.

- I reserved a non-smoking KING room. I was initially given a SMOKING king room, and when I complained about the smell, was given a non-smoking QUEEN room.

- The WiFi login process is some sort of amateur designed process that is fiddly and painful on a mobile screen, is deliberately designed to try to get you to click the wrong buttons so that you are paying for "higher quality" service, and requires you to re-authenticate every 24 hrs.

All in all, an extremely low-quality IT experience --- maybe acceptable in 1994, but we've had the internet for 20 years now, and the inability to use it properly is no longer a charming anachronism; it's like not understanding what your customers expect from electricity or running water.

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very supportive hotel staff, clean environment and good experience..
Breakfast is only Muffin, Fruits and Coffee...
Free Wi-Fi with decent speed. You can upgrade if you need higher speed connection...

Room Tip: Make sure you get a normal room. Because, sometimes if there is no vacancy they may put in handicapp...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I’m glad that you found our staff to be supportive during your stay with us. As well, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi and our clean hotel. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. Once more, thank you for posting a review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I just finished staying here for 1 month. I had to clean EVERY dish/pot/appliance on the very 1st day, it was gross. Beds are very squeaky. The feathers in the feather pillows would fall out and be all over the room, and kept pricking my face every night ... But I do have to commend the staff. They do try very hard to please their guests. Even though I had to ask for toilet paper every week (and even though they always said they'd bring it to the room, and then never show up), they always apologized for the wait. It wasn't "a grand" experience, but it wasn't that bad either.

• Stayed February 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I appreciate your kind remarks regarding our staff; however, I apologize that the dishes in your room were dirty upon arriving. As well, I am sorry that your bed and pillows did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be very helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at SNM2@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you are planning to visit San Francisco but love a cool place to stay the Extended Stay America, San Mateo is the best place to stay. The location is extraordinary peaceful and as this is a studio type residency, you may cook if you like to. The staff are extraordinarily friendly and always ready to address any problems at the earliest making your stay a comfortable one.
If you are staying for more than 6 nights (extended), this is the best place and I shall rate it a 10/10.

Room Tip: Opt for an east facing room at the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
It is so rewarding to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location and our staff's friendly service. We truly enjoyed having you visit our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!