“Go someplace else!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Go someplace else!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked here for 2 weeks and I will put in my 2 weeks then go someplace else that is worthy of more than 1 star, which this place barely deserves. I wonder how many yard sales they needed to visit to collect the pots, pans, dishes, and utensils in this place. These places largely attract spouses who have separated - if that was why I was here, I'd be back with my wife in an instant. Cabinets are all particle board and look like they have spent time underwater since they are all bubbled and the laminate is peeling. Everything is dirty, sheets are scratchy and towels are thin and pillows uncomfortable. What's to like?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with our entire staff to review our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect future guests. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at snm2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Pasadena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Since other people will comment on the other hotel features, as usual I'm going to comment on the IT aspects of the hotel. And the news is not good. Let me list my complaints

- I reserved through the chain's web site. At NO point in the process was I told what the tax burden would be, only the usual "taxes will be added to the final bill".

- By entering a coupon code I got 20% off the bill. The web site handled this smoothly, but the hotel did NOT handle it smoothly, presenting me with a bill that did not reflect the 20% off.

- I reserved a non-smoking KING room. I was initially given a SMOKING king room, and when I complained about the smell, was given a non-smoking QUEEN room.

- The WiFi login process is some sort of amateur designed process that is fiddly and painful on a mobile screen, is deliberately designed to try to get you to click the wrong buttons so that you are paying for "higher quality" service, and requires you to re-authenticate every 24 hrs.

All in all, an extremely low-quality IT experience --- maybe acceptable in 1994, but we've had the internet for 20 years now, and the inability to use it properly is no longer a charming anachronism; it's like not understanding what your customers expect from electricity or running water.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very supportive hotel staff, clean environment and good experience..
Breakfast is only Muffin, Fruits and Coffee...
Free Wi-Fi with decent speed. You can upgrade if you need higher speed connection...

Room Tip: Make sure you get a normal room. Because, sometimes if there is no vacancy they may put in handicapp...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I’m glad that you found our staff to be supportive during your stay with us. As well, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi and our clean hotel. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. Once more, thank you for posting a review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I just finished staying here for 1 month. I had to clean EVERY dish/pot/appliance on the very 1st day, it was gross. Beds are very squeaky. The feathers in the feather pillows would fall out and be all over the room, and kept pricking my face every night ... But I do have to commend the staff. They do try very hard to please their guests. Even though I had to ask for toilet paper every week (and even though they always said they'd bring it to the room, and then never show up), they always apologized for the wait. It wasn't "a grand" experience, but it wasn't that bad either.

• Stayed February 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I appreciate your kind remarks regarding our staff; however, I apologize that the dishes in your room were dirty upon arriving. As well, I am sorry that your bed and pillows did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be very helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at SNM2@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you are planning to visit San Francisco but love a cool place to stay the Extended Stay America, San Mateo is the best place to stay. The location is extraordinary peaceful and as this is a studio type residency, you may cook if you like to. The staff are extraordinarily friendly and always ready to address any problems at the earliest making your stay a comfortable one.
If you are staying for more than 6 nights (extended), this is the best place and I shall rate it a 10/10.

Room Tip: Opt for an east facing room at the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
It is so rewarding to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location and our staff's friendly service. We truly enjoyed having you visit our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Rooms were nice and cosy, Bathrooms clean and Coffee in the mornings were great. This place is near all the offices in San Mateo so for it is great for people like me who travelled for business. There is also a big mall with decent number of shops just across the bridge. Overall nice experience.

Room Tip: Pick rooms in the 1st floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Excellent place to stay with a very friendly and attentive staff. Has an open courtyard in the center which I find to be better than the dull closed corridors in most hotels. Parking is never an issue here with lots of space available. Rooms are neat and clean. It is a short drive from many stores like Costco, Target, Safeway, Bank of America, Chase, and some eating places.Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!