“Friendly and helpful!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1830 Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA 94404   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #7 of 13 hotels in San Mateo
“Friendly and helpful!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Service was good. Only thing I can suggest is housekeeping would be nice. But the representatives were very nice and helpful. Room was clean. Having a kitchen was awesome! Quiet and beautiful view. Easy to find. Anything I needed I was able to find or ask easily. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of pillows. Overall for being there for a week i had no problems or any issues with anything. Everything went smoothly. Checking in was fast and easy same for checking out.. would recommend to anyone. And if I visit again that is where I will be staying. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property Extended Stay America San Mateo. I'm glad that your stay was comfortable and pleasant. I do apologize that you did not receive housekeeping during your stay with us. In order to keep our costs low and pass those savings on to our valued guests, we do provide one full service cleaning for every 7 days stayed with us. We do however offer this service for just a small fee of 10.00 extra should you want to add this to your stay of less than 7 days. We will also provide fresh towels and linens to you as many times as you would like as no additional cost to you. Keeping our guests happy and content is our mission each and every day.

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 4-5 times over the last year and would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a very comfortable room with super comfortable beds, a really accommodating kitchen, a wonderful maintenance man, great housekeepers the best hotel management staff I've ever encountered. They do a great job of making you feel like you're at home! I can promise you I will stay here when I am back in the Bay.

• Stayed March 2013
It is our pleasure to respond to you about your posted review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. Our mission each day is to ensure you feel at home with us each time you stay at any of our hotels. It sounds as if we hit a home run in your case. Our caring staff and spacious guest suites makes this a perfect place to relax and enjoy. It’s great to know that you also enjoyed having the fully equipped kitchen at your fingertips for meal preparation or just a late night snack.
Having these amenities can make for a much more comfortable stay for all our guests. Thank you again for your recognition of our staff and hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I and several of my colleagues have been staying at this hotel for over 6 weeks. It is next to the highway, which makes navigating the area extremely easy. It is in a business park area, which means there isn't any of the nonsense associated with staying in a populated area. It's quiet, very close (walking distance) to shopping, and the service is just fine. Housekeeping does the job, the price is right for this area, and the courtyard with fountain provides a pleasant sitting area. This is not a luxury hotel, anyone expecting that will no doubt be disappointed. But if you are looking for an excellent value for a fairly long period, I cannot recommend this hotel too highly. My organization currently has 12 rooms under rent, and each one of my people would tell you the exact same thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We would like to extend our thanks for your great review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. We are very pleased that you have been enjoying our hotel and so have your co-workers. It is such a great place to stay and the beautiful courtyard fountain is wonderful for a little relaxation after a long day at work or on the road. We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable accommodations to all our guests stay after stay. We are very pleased when guests recognize us for our efforts and we in turn get great pleasure in knowing we succeeded in our mission. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the future. The Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good things
- Overall, hotel is good in terms of support from the staff and the check-in/checkout process
- Grab to go breakfast in the morning
- Kitchen furnished with bare minimum utensils/appliances

Things to improve
1. When a payment is due, it is right for the hotel staff to inform/call the guest. But the key is being disabled and I was highly dissatisfied with that procedure. People are not going to run away without paying the money. There is definitely a polite way of handling the billing instead of insulting the guest with a disabled access to his/her room.
2. I wanted to upgrade my internet speed by paying extra amount. I was not able to do that online as I couldn't purchase it with my international credit card. I contacted the internet tech support and they informed me that I should hold a US credit card tied with a valid zip code. I am not sure how you can expect a guest to have a US credit card. I was not able to use the service till checkout and was forced to live with the slower free WiFi. Also, it seems that if I pay and get the upgraded speed, I can use it only on one device. i.e if I use it in my laptop I cannot use it on my phone or another laptop which sounds disappointing. After all, it was me who has paid the amount and why should I be blocked from using the internet for my own purpose?.
3. The bathtub drain had always been a problem. I complained the front desk and they got it fixed but when the next housekeeping was complete, it appeared broken/not working.
4. When I used to stay in this hotel earlier (when it was named Homestead), I had the option of placing a reservation for a rice cooker and use it. Looks like that service has been stopped. It would be great if this service can be resumed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. We thank you for your kind remarks about the staff and hotel room. However given our company’s commitment to excellence I am concerned about the rest of your review remarks and would like the opportunity to respond to you. Our payment policy is the same for all our guests staying with us in that we do require a valid form of payment be made available at check in and that guest accounts remain in good standing each day. I am so sorry there was some confusion on your account and that your key was not working. Often times it is not a payment issue with a key but rather the key has de-magnetized and needs to be programmed. I am so sorry for this inconvenience to you during your stay. I am also sorry to hear about the bath tub not working properly and I am glad to hear that the staff was able to correct the issue fairly quickly for you. We also still do provide rice cookers for our guests upon request, however we have a limited number of these available for loan and we do our best to honor request for these when at all possible, perhaps when you return and make your reservation please let us know at that time that you would like to reserve one of these and we will do our best to accommodate ahead of time. We appreciate that you stay with us when you’re in the area and we want to assure you that we will do everything we can to be sure your stay is the best it can be. With our many thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in Extended Stay for 2 weeks. Was a pleasant experience. Kitchenette available with necessary utensils. Free wi-fi and parking. But breakfast was a little disappointing. They have "grab and go" breakfast which includes muffins, oats and tea/coffee. Expected at least sandwich. Apart from this, everything was amazing. Staffs were good. But hotel doesnt have a lift. So you have lot of luggage and get a room in first floor (only 2 floor building), better rethink.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. However given our company’s commitment to excellence I am so sorry to hear that it wasn’t 100% satisfactory. I am happy to respond to you about our recent addition of our grab and go breakfast. Our offerings are designed for the busy traveler who is looking for a quick pick me up with a muffin/granola bar or hot oatmeal and a gourmet brew cup of coffee on the way out the door to start their day. We are however always looking for ways to improve the variety of what we offer and we will definitely take your comments to our corporate office for review and consideration. Each and every guest who walks through our doors each day is a very important part of who we are and where we are going. We thank you so much for our review and hope to see you again on a future visit to San Mateo.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First, the location is a parking lot in a business complex which is uninviting at best. My confirmation was for a studio with one queen bed and I was given a larger room with two smaller beds that reeked of cigarette smoke, none of the wall switches worked and the tv was non-responsive. I couldn't stand the smell so I asked to be moved to another room.

This room was located next to the highway and also reeked of cigarette smoke. It's thermostat was broken and the window was left wide open (I assume to remove the smell), so the room was 40 degrees on entering. Oddly, the bathtub was completely full of water (due to a leaky faucet) when I arrived suggesting to me that no one had been in this room for weeks. The blankets were painfully thin and the pillows are small squares of bundled material. I was too tired to care anymore and move to another room because of my late arrival.

Overall, this was just lazy on the management's part to provide the minimum amount of service and cleanliness. Be wary if you stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the interior of the property as some rooms face out to the parking lot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. In response to your comments, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. We also have made sure that our strict inspection standards are in place as it is our policy to inspect every room prior to a guest's arrival. I sincerely apologize that this clearly did not happen in your case.

It's not common that we get the sort of review that you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

nice place for long term stay. the breakfast is very bad, you will get muffin and apple daily..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. I know how committed we are to satisfying our guests, which is why it gave me great pleasure to read your kind words about your stay. Given this commitment, it was with concern that I read the rest of your review about our grab and go breakfast. You have my most sincere apologies that your stay wasn't totally enjoyable.

I am glad for the opportunity to respond to you in this forum. Although we do not currently offer a full breakfast, we are pleased to offer an expanded coffee bar, with gourmet brews, muffins and granola bars, and fresh fruit. I do understand that you would have preferred a fuller breakfast bar, and assure you that I will bring your concerns to the attention of our corporate office.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!