“Overall OK but needs improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1830 Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA 94404   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in San Mateo
Chennai
“Overall OK but needs improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good things
- Overall, hotel is good in terms of support from the staff and the check-in/checkout process
- Grab to go breakfast in the morning
- Kitchen furnished with bare minimum utensils/appliances

Things to improve
1. When a payment is due, it is right for the hotel staff to inform/call the guest. But the key is being disabled and I was highly dissatisfied with that procedure. People are not going to run away without paying the money. There is definitely a polite way of handling the billing instead of insulting the guest with a disabled access to his/her room.
2. I wanted to upgrade my internet speed by paying extra amount. I was not able to do that online as I couldn't purchase it with my international credit card. I contacted the internet tech support and they informed me that I should hold a US credit card tied with a valid zip code. I am not sure how you can expect a guest to have a US credit card. I was not able to use the service till checkout and was forced to live with the slower free WiFi. Also, it seems that if I pay and get the upgraded speed, I can use it only on one device. i.e if I use it in my laptop I cannot use it on my phone or another laptop which sounds disappointing. After all, it was me who has paid the amount and why should I be blocked from using the internet for my own purpose?.
3. The bathtub drain had always been a problem. I complained the front desk and they got it fixed but when the next housekeeping was complete, it appeared broken/not working.
4. When I used to stay in this hotel earlier (when it was named Homestead), I had the option of placing a reservation for a rice cooker and use it. Looks like that service has been stopped. It would be great if this service can be resumed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. We thank you for your kind remarks about the staff and hotel room. However given our company’s commitment to excellence I am concerned about the rest of your review remarks and would like the opportunity to respond to you. Our payment policy is the same for all our guests staying with us in that we do require a valid form of payment be made available at check in and that guest accounts remain in good standing each day. I am so sorry there was some confusion on your account and that your key was not working. Often times it is not a payment issue with a key but rather the key has de-magnetized and needs to be programmed. I am so sorry for this inconvenience to you during your stay. I am also sorry to hear about the bath tub not working properly and I am glad to hear that the staff was able to correct the issue fairly quickly for you. We also still do provide rice cookers for our guests upon request, however we have a limited number of these available for loan and we do our best to honor request for these when at all possible, perhaps when you return and make your reservation please let us know at that time that you would like to reserve one of these and we will do our best to accommodate ahead of time. We appreciate that you stay with us when you’re in the area and we want to assure you that we will do everything we can to be sure your stay is the best it can be. With our many thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in Extended Stay for 2 weeks. Was a pleasant experience. Kitchenette available with necessary utensils. Free wi-fi and parking. But breakfast was a little disappointing. They have "grab and go" breakfast which includes muffins, oats and tea/coffee. Expected at least sandwich. Apart from this, everything was amazing. Staffs were good. But hotel doesnt have a lift. So you have lot of luggage and get a room in first floor (only 2 floor building), better rethink.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. However given our company’s commitment to excellence I am so sorry to hear that it wasn’t 100% satisfactory. I am happy to respond to you about our recent addition of our grab and go breakfast. Our offerings are designed for the busy traveler who is looking for a quick pick me up with a muffin/granola bar or hot oatmeal and a gourmet brew cup of coffee on the way out the door to start their day. We are however always looking for ways to improve the variety of what we offer and we will definitely take your comments to our corporate office for review and consideration. Each and every guest who walks through our doors each day is a very important part of who we are and where we are going. We thank you so much for our review and hope to see you again on a future visit to San Mateo.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First, the location is a parking lot in a business complex which is uninviting at best. My confirmation was for a studio with one queen bed and I was given a larger room with two smaller beds that reeked of cigarette smoke, none of the wall switches worked and the tv was non-responsive. I couldn't stand the smell so I asked to be moved to another room.

This room was located next to the highway and also reeked of cigarette smoke. It's thermostat was broken and the window was left wide open (I assume to remove the smell), so the room was 40 degrees on entering. Oddly, the bathtub was completely full of water (due to a leaky faucet) when I arrived suggesting to me that no one had been in this room for weeks. The blankets were painfully thin and the pillows are small squares of bundled material. I was too tired to care anymore and move to another room because of my late arrival.

Overall, this was just lazy on the management's part to provide the minimum amount of service and cleanliness. Be wary if you stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the interior of the property as some rooms face out to the parking lot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. In response to your comments, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. We also have made sure that our strict inspection standards are in place as it is our policy to inspect every room prior to a guest's arrival. I sincerely apologize that this clearly did not happen in your case.

It's not common that we get the sort of review that you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

nice place for long term stay. the breakfast is very bad, you will get muffin and apple daily..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. I know how committed we are to satisfying our guests, which is why it gave me great pleasure to read your kind words about your stay. Given this commitment, it was with concern that I read the rest of your review about our grab and go breakfast. You have my most sincere apologies that your stay wasn't totally enjoyable.

I am glad for the opportunity to respond to you in this forum. Although we do not currently offer a full breakfast, we are pleased to offer an expanded coffee bar, with gourmet brews, muffins and granola bars, and fresh fruit. I do understand that you would have preferred a fuller breakfast bar, and assure you that I will bring your concerns to the attention of our corporate office.

Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

One of the nicest extended stay we've ever stayed in with the best staff. Completely remodeled and clean with comfortable Kitchen. Free internet is a huge plus and TV with selective channels include showtime.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. It is so nice to hear when guests have such a great experience at our hotels. We are so glad you enjoyed having our fully equipped kitchen for your added convenience during your stay and that you were pleased with our complimentary internet connectivity and cable TV. It is our mission each and every guest stay to provide clean, comfortable accommodations all at a great value. Thank you for your recognition and we hope that you will come visit us again should you be in our area in the future. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed one month in this hotel. Its a nice stay for me as all staff members are friendly and co-operative for all your queries. Its a very nice place to stay. One can enjoy free internet and tv with selective channels. Very clean and immediate response to your any concern will be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. It is so gratifying to get such great reviews from guests such as yourself. We are so happy to hear that our staff was helpful to your during your stay with any needs or concerns, we pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable accommodations coupled with outstanding guest service. It sounds as if you really enjoyed your stay with us. This is what we are about, stay after stay! I hope that you will come stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the area or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. With our thanks, the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The refrigerator's noise apparently didn't wake me cause I slept through the nite. The reception staff was friendly and checked me in quickly. The room was clean, the kitchenette convenient to heat up some soup and make some toast. NO bed bugs found!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Our sincere thanks to you for such a nice review about your stay at Extended Stay America San Mateo. I am so glad to hear that you found our rooms to be just what you needed for your stay while in town. Our newly refreshed guest rooms with the kitchens tend to be an added comfort and convenience for all our guests more so than a regular hotel room. It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to get a good nights rest. We thank you again for your nice words and hope that you will return to visit us should you be back in our area again. With Hospitality, The Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!